Problem with Scubapro Seawing Nova

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Imrulqays

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Last year I bought a pair of Seawing Nova.
I was - and still am - very satisfied with their performance in the water.

However, after approx. 250 dives one fin broke off at the articulated joint in the middle.
My dealer gave me another pair and this second pair broke off again, precisely at the same point after approx. 60 dives.

Did anyone experience a similar problem with these fins?

I have a pair and have probably put 75 or so dives on them and have had no problem what-so-ever. I think ScubaLab hit the nail on the head when they said the Seawing Nova was one of the best fins they have ever tested. I guess I have tried over the years maybe 10 to 12 different brands/fins and the Novas are the best of the class! I hope they will come out with a fullfoot version.

I have a pair and have probably put 75 or so dives on them and have had no problem what-so-ever. I think ScubaLab hit the nail on the head when they said the Seawing Nova was one of the best fins they have ever tested. I guess I have tried over the years maybe 10 to 12 different brands/fins and the Novas are the best of the class! I hope they will come out with a fullfoot version.

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have a pair of white Sea Wing Nova fins with about 30 dives and some long pool time. The foot pocket is great. The action is decent and I have no problem with these fins. I usually use Scubapro Jet fins or Atomic Split Fins. I like these fins as much as the others but they are different all together. i would say these fins make good travel fins, they are very light weight.

Around a 100 dives on mine with no issues.

I had heard of a handfull of people here having the same issue after 70-100 dives or so. I also heard that ScubaPro told the shop here that about half of the issues they had reported came from the shop here.

Perhaps there was a bad shipment that went out where the materials weren't up to par? :idk:

It seems that if it were actually a design issue the problem would be much more widespread.

I bought a pair for me in June and a pair for my instructor on May. Mine are just fine after more than 40+ dives with them. But unfortunately my instructor had the same problem wit you after more than 300+ dives with them. I emailed the shop where I bought them from,but unfortunately had no answer so far... I guess it's not Scubapro,but maybe the stores...I don't know...

I have a buddy who just took his back after about 30 dives with the same problem. Of course they were replaced without question. Thank goodness for the SP warranty.

Yeah, the warranty was what made the difference in my decision to get these about a week ago. they felt great in the water and I've been happy with them so far, but knowing there have been issues with some of them breaking would have been a no-go for me if it wasn't for the lifetime warranty. Time will tell.

On another note, I also heard (rumor?) that ScubaPro changed the way they did the injection molding for these fins or where in the mold the plastic was injected, something along those lines at least, because they thought that process might be contributing to the failures.

Yeah, the warranty was what made the difference in my decision to get these about a week ago. they felt great in the water and I've been happy with them so far, but knowing there have been issues with some of them breaking would have been a no-go for me if it wasn't for the lifetime warranty. Time will tell.

On another note, I also heard (rumor?) that ScubaPro changed the way they did the injection molding for these fins or where in the mold the plastic was injected, something along those lines at least, because they thought that process might be contributing to the failures.

Hopefully so. I just lost a fin on a shore dive when I got washed up onto a shelf :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead: The same friend I mentioned above can get the novas for a little over $100. Hopefully when I get them I can swim off into the sunset without them failing on me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom