Problem with Scubapro Seawing Nova

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haven't had any issues with mine yet. The only thing I will say about them is the bottom sole of the fins is SLIPPERY! Making giant strides a little difficult. I am thinking about adding some skateboard grip tape to the bottom of mine.

the best warranty is the one you never need to use

I have to say that after reading the troubles some have experienced and seeing your quote in the other thread, I chose not to get the Seawing. I'm very happy with my Mares Avanti Quattros.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Volo racers that I love, but just recently started taking tek courses. The Volo Racers aren't up to much when you have twins and stage tanks. Most of the other tek guys are using the seawing novas but am torn between these and the heavy jet fins!

I have a pair of Volo racers that I love, but just recently started taking tek courses. The Volo Racers aren't up to much when you have twins and stage tanks. Most of the other tek guys are using the seawing novas but am torn between these and the heavy jet fins!

From what I've read, it sounds like giant stride entries from boats may be a possible culprit in some of the issues being mentioned. This past weekend, for example, I had to do a giant stride entry from a boat with a much higher platform than normal and I could feel the force difference when I hit the water. I could only imagine the force being put on the fin hinges of the Novas at that height.

Again, I use Mares Avanti Quattros so I can't judge (nor am I qualified to do so anyways) but with my body type and weight, I can assume a great deal of pressure would be exerted on those hinges if I were using them during entry.

Just an FYI, ScubaPro quietly changed the design of the fin, which I was told by my LDS owner, who heard it from the ScubaPro rep, addresses the hinge failure. I just picked up a pair, and immediately noticed my hinge is different than the hinge shown on the ScubaPro website. Also, the ScubaPro rep allegedly stated that the new hinge increased the thrust by 25 percent, but who knows if that is market speak. Only thing I know is I have the fins with the new hinge, and they smoke the daylights out of my Cressi Reactions that I normally use to power through the current on Oahu.

Just an FYI, ScubaPro quietly changed the design of the fin, which I was told by my LDS owner, who heard it from the ScubaPro rep, addresses the hinge failure. I just picked up a pair, and immediately noticed my hinge is different than the hinge shown on the ScubaPro website. Also, the ScubaPro rep allegedly stated that the new hinge increased the thrust by 25 percent, but who knows if that is market speak. Only thing I know is I have the fins with the new hinge, and they smoke the daylights out of my Cressi Reactions that I normally use to power through the current on Oahu.

That's good to hear. Definitely interested to see how durable the new ones are after several dives. Please keep us posted.

Hi,
I now have around 60 dives with my Seawings. I have done Giant Stride Entries,etc with no problems. I bought mine 6 months ago.
Kurt in Cebu

Any chances of a pic? I was interested in these fins until the reports of hinge failure came in, I cannot see pictures of the "latest" version on any web site, all show the "older" version even on Scubapros site.

Back
Top Bottom