Problem with Scubapro Seawing Nova

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On another note, I also heard (rumor?) that ScubaPro changed the way they did the injection molding for these fins or where in the mold the plastic was injected, something along those lines at least, because they thought that process might be contributing to the failures.

I'm now using my third pair of Seawings, after my first two pairs failed, see post #1.
It looks indeed like the molding has changed. This is clearly visible e.g. in the Scubapro logo (originally in white paint, in the latest version the letter S is an inlay in plastic).

After approx. 100 dives they are still doing fine, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

For the rest, these fins are really the best I ever had.

That is good to hear, my fins must be the newer version as the ScubaPro logo is inset in white plastic.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm on my third pair. I had my first pair before most shops started carring them. As a DM, I dive hard with the fins at times depending on the current, activities, and swells while getting back on the boat. The first two pairs broke shortly after I had them (meaning 40-60 dives each). They were replaced by a new pair immediately by the shop, no questions asked. This third pair that I have now have lasted for over 200 dives and show no sign of weakness or tearing. Probably after so many fins being returned ScubaPro finally improved the material used for the fins. I love mine!

I am considering the purchase of a pair of Sea Wing Novas, but I am a bit leery of the articulated joint. It looks like an acute failure point. I am currently diving a set of TUSA Imprex fins and they have stood up well, but I have beat them up pretty badly. I have been trying to find a set of the older model sea wings (Gorilla Fins), but I have been unsuccessful.

Thanks for all of the reviews though... it will give me something to think about.

The one thing you have going for you with the Sea Wing Novas is that is for some reason they fail, ScubaPro Will replace them free of charge. How can you beat that??

My third pair of Seawings recently gave up on me after approx. 200 dives.
One fin broke off, again at the articulated joint in the middle.
The fins were always and treated normally.
My dealer sent them back to Scubapro, and they were replaced free of charge.
Indeed, how can you beat that?
Because of the performance of these fins, and the service of Scubapro, I keep believing in them.

I had heard of a handfull of people here having the same issue after 70-100 dives or so. I also heard that ScubaPro told the shop here that about half of the issues they had reported came from the shop here.

Perhaps there was a bad shipment that went out where the materials weren't up to par? :idk:

It seems that if it were actually a design issue the problem would be much more widespread.
Your location suffers from the fabled "Nova Fish." This fish incorrectly identifies the nova's fin as a baby stingray and begins bite aggressively at the joint. This leads to a rapid decline in durability compared to other dive sites.

I think it's funny they named a fin "Nova" after the repeated telling of the Chevy Nova story, even if it is a myth.

My white Scubapro Seawing Novas are both failing at the hinge joint; they've got roughly 50 dives on them since I bought them last December, mostly from shore (so putting fins on while floating; few boat entries). Of the dozen or so frequent divers I know with the Novas, about half have had one or two fin failures within a year of purchase. I bought mine after folks swore up and down that Scubapro had ironed out the kinks, and the "new and improved" version would be more reliable.

I gotta say, lifetime warranty or not, I'm done with these. I'm going have mine replaced, sell the new ones dirt cheap, then I'm going back to my Volos (and maybe some Oceanic V16s).

The one thing you have going for you with the Sea Wing Novas is that is for some reason they fail, ScubaPro Will replace them free of charge. How can you beat that??

My third pair of Seawings recently gave up on me after approx. 200 dives.
One fin broke off, again at the articulated joint in the middle.
The fins were always and treated normally.
My dealer sent them back to Scubapro, and they were replaced free of charge.
Indeed, how can you beat that?

IMO you could beat that by having a design/production method (whatever the cause is) that didn't fail in the first place. Personally I don't want to own/wear fins that might fail regardless of the warranty. As I said in another thread on the same topic (which also had numerous multiple failure reports from owners), the best warranty is the one you never need to use

EDIT: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fi...scubapro-seawing-nova-performance-review.html

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom