Problem with foggy masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My recipe is modified from Andy Davis
it is wrong way! When you hold the mask not horisontally - you easy can damage silicone or rubber, than remove oil film from glass.

We made a video as well.
that is the most correct way, how to remove oil film from the mask glass. One remark: best lighter for this procedure - is most cheapest lighter. never use any lighters with burner! just most simplest lighter (e.g. Cricket Lighters | lighter collection Essentials )

Forget the toothpaste. Get some Comet or Ajax, the powder kind. Put some inside on the lens and use a few drops of water to form a paste and scrub until you feel as if your finger is going to fall off. Never had this method fail and have done it numerous times for folks who have tried everything.
this is not a best offer, because in some case you will have something like soft backing soda, but other case you can get powder that can contain something like corund, and you could get scratched glass...
in our country is most popular cleaning liquid: "Fairy"
fairy.jpg
It is one of the best for cleaning. Similar is Clean Less Live More | Mr Muscle

but all this reccomendation is useless, when you did not following major rule:
Never drink alcohol, less than 12 hours before the dive!

Otherwise you will have foggy mask, despite all cleaning and burning exercise...

Combination of lighter and toothpaste to get factory film off mask before you de fog.

When you defog make sure you’re not dehydrated and get enough spit.

Scubaboard rocks. From a simple dab and scrub with Colgate to flamethrowers and advanced chemistry. This has been discussed in about 10 different threads with Identical results every time. :facepalm:Sticky anyone?

Last edited:
First post at this forum. The latest years my biggest hobby has been a combination of snorkeling and free diving: I am using the snorkel for breathing in a relaxed position before doing a deeper or longer dive.

I have two Scubapro masks: one older Frameless and last year I bought a Solo. My problem is that both of these masks are so easily getting foggy. As I am living in Finland, the water is often on the colder side, which is worsening the problem. Sadly, I would need to flush the masks after each dive, which is just frustrating. Besides spit, I have tried 3 different anti-fog solutions: one non-brand, one made by Cressi and one made by Scubapro. They do not make any big difference.

Are there any masks that are more resistant against fog? Or a really good anti-fog solution?
Ok, I just happened to see this video claiming that this mask is 100% fog free with anti-fog coating. It looks real to me by now.

I scrub my mask with shower gel and I'm very pleased with the result.

•Rinse thoroughly with freshwater after each use - After you have used your mask in saltwater, it should be soaked for several minutes in warm freshwater to prevent the build up of salt crystals which could damage the seals of your mask. A rinse with freshwater will eliminate contaminants and corrosion.

•Avoid leaving your mask in direct sunlight - This is because the rays from the sun can eventually damage neoprene and silicone products.

•Store in a dry cool place - It is important that you dry your mask before storing it. Do not leave you equipment wet in a closed environment like your snorkeling equipment bag. Also take care to store your silicone mask away from black rubber products to prevent staining of silicone.

For more info : HOW TO MAINTENANCE AND DEFOG A SNORKEL MASK

Hi

I know a woman who "burned" her mask glasses at a diving center in the Maldives.
It was Ok but not definitively she said …fog came several weeks again.
Why ?

Because the skirt of the mask is molded in an injection machine, and to facilitate the extraction of the mold, silicon spray is projected in the mold before the injection.

That's what a lighter doesn’t remove. It only remove the silicone on the glasses, and after a certain time the silicone on the skirt migrate again on the glasses.

This is the reason why the entire skirt (internally and externally) must be soaped too.

@ Rossana
And why take any risks with a flame when a good dishwashing detergent does the job…or pure shampoo

Another solution a fog free mask =>

Now my problem...
I own 3 masks, 2 for scuba and 1 for freediving
1 scuba mask ok (burnt, cleaned with spit, with baby shampoo, etc.)
1 scuba mask ok (not burnt, cleaned with spit, with baby shampoo, etc.)
1 freediving mask... GETS FOGGED ONLY ON THE RIGHT SIDE
Don't ask me how this is possible, tried all the methods that worked perfectly for scuba masks, they didn't work out for defogging ONLY ONE SIDE of the freediving mask
The same mask was very fine and clean for a long time, about 2 years, before having this problem

Back
Top Bottom