Problem with foggy masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once I have the mask conditioned (toothpaste, flame, or whatever) I will continue to clean it (with detergent, shampoo, washing powder or whatever) before each dive. It's a little bit of a hassle, but it's worth it to have a 100% clear mask for the whole session.

Forget the toothpaste. Get some Comet or Ajax, the powder kind. Put some inside on the lens and use a few drops of water to form a paste and scrub until you feel as if your finger is going to fall off. Never had this method fail and have done it numerous times for folks who have tried everything.

Last edited:
Burning the glass is essential. I use a small butane torch with a very hot blue flame. I only flash the glass extremely fast a couple of times, letting it cool in between. I have found fast heating with a hot flame to be more efficient than slower burning with a lighter. There is no need to get soot on the glass if you use abrasive after burning.
Be careful not to damage the mask with your flame. The butane torch burns the mold release agent really fast so you don't need to heat the glass for too long.

After burning, rub the glass gently with lightly abrasive "magic eraser"

Swiffer 3kpl magic eraser, swiffer - foodie.fi

It is also a good idea to flame and treat your mask box.

Another vote for toothpaste and baby shampoo. Tear free baby shampoo in a small bottle is what I use to defog the mask everytime I dive.

Another vote for toothpaste and baby shampoo. Tear free baby shampoo in a small bottle is what I use to defog the mask everytime I dive.

Best thing about Baby Shampoo is the smell!

Forget the toothpaste. Get some Comet or Ajax, the power kind. Put some inside on the lens and use a few drops of water to form a paste and scrub until you feel as if your finger is going to fall off. Never had this method fail and have done it numerous times for folks who have tried everything.

That works f’sure. The ultimate in abrasive agents. Just make sure that you get it all out after scrubbing. Nothing like Comet in your eyes to get your attention before a dive.

Best thing about Baby Shampoo is the smell!

No it is the taste!!

I promise @engblom you don't need baby shampoo with a mask treated by burning and magic eraser. Just a quick spit and rinse or a lick with your tongue.

We made a video as well.

That works f’sure. The ultimate in abrasive agents. Just make sure that you get it all out after scrubbing. Nothing like Comet in your eyes to get your attention before a dive.

It's actually getting harder to find the old fashioned kind. They want to make everything in a gel form now because it's easier to use and I don't disagree but the old stuff is still the best to me. I only use it though in the initial cleaning of a mask. After that I just use what's on the boat or one of the well known brands of defog.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom