Probably mentioned a few times

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kellykins

Contributor
Reaction score
what do you think of packages?

In the near future, i'm thinking of getting my own gear. I'm joining the university subaqua club. The have gear to use, but prefer people to have their own. I prefer my own too, cause you can get used to it blah blah...etc

So what do you think of this beginners package

Diving Product Details: Cressi Starter Package

I know it's only a beginners, but i'll probably upgrade in the future...like someone said scuba diving is one big hole in the ocean you keep throwing your money into :p:p

So yeah....what do you think?

I know it's only a beginners, but i'll probably upgrade in the future...

Do yourself a favor and buy your "second" set of gear first. You'll be better off right off the bat, and it's cheaper in the long run.

So do you think i should go with packages or just buy things separatley?

Kellykins - it's not a bad idea at all - also have a look at the Scubapro stuff - they market a basic rental package which is - for sure - basic - but it's used by a LOT of dive companies world wide. Some divers will poo poo that idea, but shops choose this stuff because it is functional and enduring. I know many instructors who are still working with the basic equipment and it's rock solid. Okay it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but then you could apply the same principle to cars - a Mercedes CLK might have more cup-holders than your average Skoda, but they both stop, go and get you where you want to be.

Once you have a few dives under your weight belt - and maybe a bit more cash, you can look at the more expensive gear and decide what's appropriate for you.

Hope that helps.

C.

Take a look at the specs on that. While it may be fine for warm water and vacation travel if you plan on diving the UK look for a sealed reg, and bc that will work with both wet and dry suits. Joining a club is a better idea to start. See what they club members are wearing, ask for recommendations. Out of the ones on that page I'd suggest the ocenaic HERA package. Alot more money yes but will be better in the long run.

yeah thats true.
Was just wondering, so i know how much to save.
i think all of them packages on that site is for cold water...!

the dive shop i'm doing my ow with uses cressi all the time. Like renting, etc...!

It's funny, we have the same discussions on a music forum I belong to and the answer is exactly the same, do your research (define as best you can what it is you're needs are and which gear meets your criteria ), try different gear and then buy the best quality that you can afford. You're going to be happier and spend less money in the long run.

It's funny, we have the same discussions on a music forum I belong to and the answer is exactly the same, do your research (define as best you can what it is you're needs are and which gear meets your criteria ), try different gear and then buy the best quality that you can afford. You're going to be happier and spend less money in the long run.

I am doing research!
Aint bought owt yet!
Just getting peoples opinions that's all.

So do you think i should go with packages or just buy things separatley?

Not specific to scuba, but from a marketing standpoint most "packages" usually involve 2-3 decent components combined with 1-2 low quality items plus one or two things you don't even really need.

Kellykins, look into the future. . . you want comfortable gear that can handle your future interests, diving under the ice? diving deep shipwrecks? diving warm tropical seas? We can't tell you what your future needs will be, and maybe you aren't yet able to pick your diving future. But keep in mind what you might want to do.

There is a great secret among dive shops in the northern hemisphere. . . replace your rental gear, that may be one year old, and replace it with new rental gear, discounted by the manufacturers. That's right. Instructors can get new gear for class work cheaper than they can buy their own gear. The strings attached is that it is only for class instruction and rental. Instructors I know sell out the reconditioned class gear between November and December, slow times for new students, and order the discounted gear for delivery into the new year. Well used, and inspected one year old Scubapro, or Aqua Lung etc. for less than you are looking at.

Is price most important? No! Fit, fit, fit. . . A big part of any package new or used is the Buoyancy compensator. One size fits all, is absurd. Four sizes fits all is absurd, Seven sizes fits most, is almost the answer. The only way you can get a comfortable fit is to try the BC in the water, on a full dive. If you find a great fitting BC, from diving with it, and they'll put together a package with that, you may get a good deal. A great fitting BC, with accessory hose, and a comfortable regulator mouthpiece and a few plastic ties, and you don't have to own a regulator for another year. There's a bargain start for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom