Probably a dumb question from a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Novice

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning on taking a certification course soon and need to purchase a mask and fins. From what I gather, most people purchase open heel fins. However, I have noticed that the full foot version of the same fins tend to be less expensive. Why do people prefer open heel fins? After certification, almost all of my diving will be in the caribbean (shallow warm water). Is it totally stupid to consider full foot fins? Any assistance is appreciated.

Shore dives are FUN when you aren't bruising your heels on rocks. Also, the thermal protection afforded by this is wonderful.

well, for shore diving, when you are walking into the water, its nice to have your feet protected...instead of walking in barefoot and putting on the full fins. I like the comfort of the bootie shoes with the fins....never was a fan of the full foot fins.

I don't walk around with the fins out on land...some people back up into the water with them, but if the surf is rough, or you have to navigate around things in the water...its better, IMHO, to have on the booties and walk in then put on your fins...then to do that with full foot fins at the shore or walk barefoot.

On a dive boat a typical process is to get in your gear, stand up, walk to the back of the boat, stand on the swim step - sometimes sitting on the back rail of the boat - steady yourself and lift one leg then the other and put on your fins.

Typically full-foot fins are used more by snorkelers and freedivers.

At places like Bonaire and Cayman, the coral/coral rubble starts right offshore. And there's ironshore to climb over to get out deeper.

You couldn't walk out safely through the surge with a full-foot fin and when you step on it you'd wish you had booties - it's razor sharp.

yep - down here all i do is shore diving and one dive in particular is a rock climb

i would never consider diving without booties & opened heeled fins

cheers and welcome to :sblogo:

I am planning on taking a certification course soon and need to purchase a mask and fins. From what I gather, most people purchase open heel fins. However, I have noticed that the full foot version of the same fins tend to be less expensive. Why do people prefer open heel fins? After certification, almost all of my diving will be in the caribbean (shallow warm water). Is it totally stupid to consider full foot fins? Any assistance is appreciated.

From what you described most of your diving will be, full fins will be just fine ie warm water boat diving......ALOT of DM's in the Caribbean use just that, alot....Our son only used, for 6 years+, full fins when he was DMing, instructing, & videographing in the Caribbean.....

open heel fins you wear some kind of boot with it but with full foot fins you can go bare foot and you can cut your feet..

It's perfectly possible to use some kind of protective footwear under a full foot fin, if you purchase a pair with foot pockets large enough to accommodate the extra bulk. This was standard practice in the 1960s when I learned to dive. Divers of the time often had two pairs of fins, both full foot, one for barefoot wear and a larger-sized version for use with bootees. They would take the neoprene socks or bootees to the store and put them on when fitting the fins. Some modern full-foot fins are even designed to be worn over protective footwear, e.g. Apollo Bio Fins.

I've always preferred full-foot fins and snorkel with them regularly in the North Sea off the North East coast of England.

I have booties and open heel for cold, full foot with a 2mm neo sock for warm.
The full foots (Tusa expert zoom) are lighter and take up less space in the bag when I travel- I can wear them barefoot, but they fit better/cause fewer blisters with the sock, which also protects my feet walking across the deck/street/beach.

Full foot fins have some advantages - lighter to travel with and much more hygenic. They don't start to stink after a few days diving and no drying problems at the end of the trip. My boots are always the slowest item to dry. So if you're just warm-water diving off boats or sandy beaches there's nothing stupid about considering them. Many places I go the DMs all use full foot. OTOH as has been pointed out, if you have to clamber over rocks or coral to get in and out of the water then boots are to be preferred.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom