Pristine Reefs of Southern Mindanao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You got my PM and I replied to yours.

Many here know the ICRC people currently being held hostage by the ASG and have dived with them. It's heartbreaking for many here in Davao what has happened. Andreas dives here and he has many friends.

Hope that we can bring you to the places that we know which are far away from trouble here and have some of the best diving in the World.

Not all areas are bad - and we (like you) know the areas to avoid; Mindanao is largely safe to travel to and dive (Jolo is in the Sulu archipeligo south of Mindanao).

Hope to see you here to dive with nice people in great areas (zero trouble).

You are welcome any time.

12 years ago, I was traveling by ferry from Sulawesi in Indonesia to Davao. It was in the era where Abu Sayaf kidnapped a group of people from Sipadan so at that time, Mindanao got a red alert as red as it could be.

I had never planned to come to the Philippines but I did as my Indonesian visa expired and had to leave the country. I just graduated from university, had little money and was looking for the cheapest ways to travel and the ferry from the Indonesian Pelni line was cheap. That is how I ended up at the pier in Davao amidst the container terminal and when I walked onto the road after immigration, I took my first jeepney ever towards Davao City Center. I had come fully unprepared and was not aware of the issues that were going on in Mindanao so I was not biased in any way.

It was my first time ever to the Philippines and I really got struck by the beauty of Mindanao and the friendliness of its people, both Catholic and Muslim. I had the chance to visit to T'Boli around Lake Sebu close to Koronadal in South Cotabato. I took the bus from Davao to Cagayan de Oro via Buda via the inland route. Even though this was a horrible ride over non-concrete roads, I did not feel bored for a moment.

I met my wife in Camiguin Island at that time and we are now married for 10 years, have 2 children and have been in the Philippines many many times since. I have visited most of the areas in Philippines by now, but Mindanao keeps a special place in my heart.

Though I have not been diving in the South of Mindanao yet, I'd really love to do so when I would have the opportunity. Have dived around Bunaken in North Sulawesi, which is not that far away, I can only guess the beauty of this unspoiled part of the PI.

I truly hope that the issues will settle down in the future and that this beautiful island will attract the visitors which it deserves :)

Kris

If I had the time or the inclination Im sure I could find tons of news articles about violence in any part of the world. Japan and the US included.

To judge the largest island of the Philippines based on 2 news articles is rather short sighted, I feel.

I still maintain that I would rather walk down a street at midnight in my "war torn"city in southern Mindanao than a dark street in New York.

Wow, Barracuda Smile, You are such a new diver that you still read or remember you PADI Dive Tables!
I do not know what you are after, Why quote data from any newspaper or radio station in the Philippines or the State Department as to what is going on, we all know exactly what is going on here and do not need to know it from occasional visitors!
If you had to wear your body armor then you must be from the US Military but the members of the US Military now do not wear it or up until yesterday they did not, what has changed!
Here in Mindanao we do not have problems all over, just in limited places so we do not need people like you making it sound like its Afganistan or some other zone, we have enough bad press without you making more!
This site is a place for decent Scuba chit chat and not for Bull **** like you are putting out!
Why are you bringing up this topic anyway, do you want to stir up problems that do not exist and try to keep people away from here or what is your problem!
I have lived here since 1992 and have had no problems so if you have a problem with Mindanao, just keep your self away and stay safe from the bad guys!
By the way, most divers now use Dive Computers and not the tables!

I do not understand what you want to do!

The sites around Gensan have the best diving we have experienced anywhere - without crowds. People are good there and there is no trouble at all (from our experience). Indeed, we find this place to be safer than most places.

Imoortantly, note that Chris and Paul (the pioneers of diving in Gensan/along the coast) have posted to say the same things. They know the area and peoples better than anyone else and are people to be respected.

Again, this area is safe and has exceptional diving and hospitality from local peoples.

Totally unspoilt, unadultarated excellent diving and good place to stay.

Just as a matter of interest, today, 2 US Navy persons were diving at south point and I was very surprised to see that they were not wearing body armor and not carrying weopons, I asked what they were doing and they surprised me by sayin that they had come to dive! Wow, what bravery on their part! (He He) During our dive we saw a 4 foot barracuda which was smiling as it had just ate a fish! It was not the Barracuda Smile that posted yesterday, this one knew what he was doing and was not interfearing in other peoples business and was just getting on with his life!
Its a pity others can not act the same way!

wow looks like a great dive spot.
but what can we exect to see in the area in terms of marine life?
can anyone elaborate?

also can the dive operators in the area be contacted via the internet?

cheers

wow! this thread has gone a long way already. hats off to WWD and GSC for promoting the dive sites of Southern Mindanao. I have lived in Davao myself and I love to come back there for some diving. I have also traveled to some parts of Mindanao and I found some of the best destinations in this part of the country.

Mindanao is agreeably a very beautiful place to visit. But it is not for everybody, especially if you are a paranoid outsider who want to look at the world as a scary place to live in. The locals definitely know more than you will ever learn about the place. The best way (for me) to enjoy your stay in any destination is to try to understand and respect the local culture and not try to change it to your own sense of culture that have grown into. Yes, the Philippines may be a troubled, poor, conflict-stricken country. But not all of its people will think of hurting you when you visit in any part of this beautiful paradise. We are known world wide as a country with warm hospitality and sweet smiles. There are still more foreigners who would love to visit, live, or get married to a loving Filipino/Filipina. The security issues in Mindanao are isolated, and similar incidents may happen in any part of the world. We do not want it to happen and we do not support those rebel groups. If you think it is not safe for you to come here, then don't go! Just don't drool when you see the lovely photos that you will not see anywhere else.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd go to Mindanao soon and dive the pristine reefs of Southern Mindanao!

I still maintain that I would rather walk down a street at midnight in my "war torn"city in southern Mindanao than a dark street in New York.

so true man. you beat me to it.
general santos (gensan) is one of the most developed areas in southern mindanao and it known as a peaceful place.
of course its another story if you venture to certain secluded areas of mindanao
i have friends in zamboanga and davao and i plan to visit them sometime june. ill prbably stop by gensan to dive here

wow looks like a great dive spot.
but what can we exect to see in the area in terms of marine life?
can anyone elaborate?

also can the dive operators in the area be contacted via the internet?

There is quite a lot of detail regarding Marine life at the beginning of this thread, including contacts, websites etc plus 30+ photos.

For info, we just got back from Tawi-Tawi and stopped off in Jolo. Met some incredibly nice people (from TawiTawi and Jolo) and will be going back to Tawi-Tawi soon to dive islands, wrecks (WWII aircraft and ships) and atolls (307 islands here - all like paradise).

Tawi-Tawi easily reached from Zamboanga - again, a nice place with good people.

We will post more info when we get over out 72 hours constant travelling!!!!

So much is misunderstood about this area of the World.

Back
Top Bottom