Pristine Reefs of Southern Mindanao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda Smile comes here to make war (peace in his mind) for divers in Mindanao. He has bad experiences caused by conditions out of his control (he did his job).

Though 95% Mindanao is safe to travel to and dive in most areas (like the rest of the World), he operated in worst 5%. His opinions are based upon this and he has never dived in Davao or Gensan.

In our four years of dive travel/exploration, we have received nothing but good hospitality and met good people who care to keep us safe in remote area of Mindanao. Mr BS would lead you to believe that Mindanao is very dangerous and is full of his own self-importance. So ..... who can you believe?

Not sure?? - go to Okinawa where Mr BS can show you the best marine life in the World (and your wallet and kids are safe).

Or, ........... come here to Dvao/Southern Mindanao where you will find some of the best diving and friendliest people in the World.

We are all adults and can decide for ourselves ...

Well thanks to all your posts in this thread, I think I'm going to avoid both in the future...:shakehead:

Gentlemen... On your mark... Get set... Pee!!!!!!!!!!

who can you believe?

Not sure?? - go to Okinawa where Mr BS can show you the best marine life in the World (and your wallet and kids are safe).

Or, ........... come here to Dvao/Southern Mindanao where you will find some of the best diving and friendliest people in the World.

Last edited:
I have not been down to the Gen San area for awhile but I worked in South Cotabato for 1 year in 2002 - 2003. I loved it there. I was invited to visit some farms again last week and I was surprised on the business boom in the area. Koronadal is twice as big. Gen San with 4 or so malls already. I really love these places especially South Cotobato. Its the southern charm you can't explain. Too bad I was not able to swing by Saranggani. Next time I go down south, I'm going to take a break and dedicate it to diving. Saranggani diving is starting to become a legend! All the more you want to go and see it for real!!!

And about visiting Japan - its hellishly expensive and they are anal about Visa's for some of us, unlike lovely Phils where you can drop in any time, what a pleasure

Hi Paul. How's Southpoint?

How do you justify their (Balikatan) presence if everything is great?

Perversely, Balikatan actually brings US divers to this area for sports diving.

So, regardless of any travel advisory, US Army and Navy are already enjoying World-class diving in this area, while everybody else* is 'advised' to give the area a miss:hm:

*OK if you are from France, by the way.

"The United Kingdom has partially lifted its travel advisory on Mindanao, saying it will no longer advice against travel to the east side of the Island.

The UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) maintained its stand against all travel to Southwest Mindanao and the Sulu archipelago due to "terrorist and insurgent" activity.

"We no longer advise against all travel to the east side of Mindanao," the FCO said - Web site"

What does this mean?

This is a small, important step for this area which falls within the 'bulls eye' of the coral triangle - the centre of the Worlds marine biodiversity and one of the 7 wonders of the natural Worrd; the 'Amazon' forest of the World's oceans.

The announcement will convince some dive tourists that this area is safe to travel to (and is in line with what the French Govenment said almost one year ago).

Importantly, if the UK Government can take this step, the others must take note.

How long will dive tourists deny themselves from seeing some of the finest corals and marine life in the World based upon some inaccurate and misleading travel advisories.

Respect to the UK Government for taking this considered and informed positive step forward. Let's hope other will follow.

WWD

Back
Top Bottom