Pristine Reefs of Southern Mindanao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

from the US state department

January 27, 2009

The State Department warns U.S. citizens of the risks of travel to the southern Philippine islands of Mindanao and the Sulu Archipelago and urges extreme caution if traveling there. This Travel Warning replaces the Travel Warning dated February 13, 2008, and updates information on continuing threats due to terrorist and insurgent activities.

Travelers should exercise extreme caution if traveling in the central and western portions of the island of Mindanao, as well as in the islands of the Sulu Archipelago. Regional terrorist groups have carried out bombings resulting in injuries and death. Since August 2008, there have been sporadic clashes between lawless groups and the Philippine Armed Forces in the Mindanao provinces of North Cotabato, Lanao del Sur and Lanao del Norte, as well as the Sulu Archipelago. Kidnap for ransom gangs are active and have targeted foreigners. U.S. Government employees must seek special permission for travel to Mindanao or the Sulu Archipelago. Travelers to these areas should remain vigilant and avoid congregating in public areas. Some foreigners who reside in or visit Mindanao and the Sulu Archipelago hire their own security.

Sounds safe

Amen Brother. I have been to Mindanao, but I had to wear my kevlar, body armor, and carry a gun. Have the Red Cross hostages been released yet? I know the Abu Sayaf Group (ASG) were threatening to decapitate them.

No wonder the reefs are pristine.

I have been to Mindanao, but I had to wear my kevlar, body armor, and carry a gun.

Then you are not a tourist - rather military.

Keep your military nose out of our discussions please. This is a forum for dive tourists who do not get mixed up with your sort/you problems and issues.

Don't cause us problems by posting stuff like this here.

Goodbye.

I have been to Mindanao, but I had to wear my kevlar, body armor, and carry a gun.

Further, you got a PM from me that says more.

You state you are Japanese, but it's the US supporting the AFP here - not Japanese. So, *** are you??? Please say.

You might be interested to know that some of us here are trying to pull a few Japanese bodies from wrecks to get them ID'd for their families back in Japan.

I suggest that you troll somewhere else.

Philippine group renews threat

The two Red Cross workers were seized
alongside another on Feburary 15 [AFP]

The head of the Red Cross in the Philippines has said the armed group holding two of its aid workers hostage has renewed its threats to kill them.

Richard Gordon, who is also a Philippine senator, said the threat was made late on Friday by Albader Parad, an Abu Sayyaf commander, in a telephone call.

"I will do what I told you I will do," Gordon quoted Parad as saying.

Abu Sayyaf is demanding the government pull back its forces on the southern island of Jolo.

The group has been holding the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) workers for more than two and a half months.

The two foreigners being held are Andreas Notter, a Swiss national, and Eugenio Vagni, an Italian.

Hostage freed

A third hostage, Mary Jean Lacaba, was set free on Thursday.

Government officials picked up Lacaba, a Philippine engineer, in a remote village on Jolo after her captors told them where to find her.

The three ICRC workers were kidnapped on January 15 while heading to a local airport after visiting a water-sanitation project at the provincial jail.

Abu Sayyaf, which is alleged to have al-Qaeda links, had previously said it would behead one of the ICRC workers if Philippine troops did not retreat by Tuesday.

The military made a partial withdrawal from five towns on Jolo earlier in the week before again redeploying around the group's camp and declaring a state of emergency after the deadline on Tuesday.

Abu Sayyaf has beheaded hostages in the past, including an American in 2001 and seven Filipinos in 2007.

The group, which is also said to have links to the regional Jemaah Islamiyah group, has been blamed for the worst attack in the Philippines' history, in which a ferry in Manila Bay was bombed in 2004, killing 100 people.

The US government has placed the group, which is believed to have about 400 fighters, on its list of terrorist organisations.

Two killed in Philippines blast: reportApril 4, 2009
Two people were killed and eight wounded late on Friday when a bomb exploded outside a restaurant in the troubled southern Philippines, police said.

The explosion on Basilan island off the port city of Zamboanga caused a power outage in one section of the provincial capital, Isabela city, according to a police report.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the blast, which killed two pedestrians and hurt eight others.

However the island is a known stronghold of Abu Sayyaf Islamic militants, whose comrades are holding two foreign Red Cross aid workers hostage on the neighbouring island of Jolo.

The gunmen freed a third International Committee of the Red Cross hostage, a Filipina, late on Thursday.

A roadside bomb set off by the group elsewhere on Jolo wounded six soldiers earlier on Friday, according to an updated military report.

The Abu Sayyaf was set up in the early 1990s and was initially funded by al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom