prism topaz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubahubby:
And if it was an Inspiration specific thread it would be someone... (Can we say: "This Prism advertisement has been brought to you by the letters 'C' and 'S', and the number '7'???" :eyebrow: ) ....stepping in saying "What about the PRISM?"....

:crafty:

- Ozzy

Good one, Oz!!! :rofl: :monkeydan

Stefan, ya gotta admit he's got a point there, my friend!

R

Curt McNamee:
Hi caveseeker7,

Making a post like the one you made aimed at me shows that you seem to have a maturity problem and that you can't read.

Sincerely,

Curt

Curt,

I fired off my amused comment BEFORE I read this one.

I have met Stefan, and have corresponded with him for a long time. I can assure you that he is both mature, and thoughtful.

I have to say that your response seems both snappish and petulant. One of the things that is desparately needed on an internet keyboard is a "safety", giving one time to re-consider a post.

Having committed the error myself, and having had to go back and apologize for same, I have one suggestion: "Try to keep the discussion pleasant!"

Kick back, have another cup of coffee, and "EITHER SMILE WHEN YA SAY THAT, PARDNER, OR FILL YORE HAND!"

:bigun2:

Cheers!

ROB DAVIE

BigJetDriver69:
and have corresponded with him for a long time. I can assure you that he is both mature, and thoughtful.
I'd have to second Rob on this one. And as Stefan is able to read my (occassionally) long (and occassionally rambling) mail in private correspondence, and reply coherently, I also deduce that he can read ... :wink:

That said, our friend loves the Prism with a passion :dazzler1: , and I can see how the "DIK" comment can be misunderstood. Actually, Curt, the best thing to do is to PM Caveseeker7 and sort this little incident out privately. It's not worth having a feud over. You'll find that Stafan's a remarkably helpful person with a great sense of humour. You'll probably end up best friends. :07:

fins wake:
I'd have to second Rob on this one. And as Stefan is able to read my (occassionally) long (and occasionally rambling) mail in private correspondence, and reply coherently, I also deduce that he can read ... :wink:

That said, our friend loves the Prism with a passion :dazzler1: , and I can see how the "DIK" comment can be misunderstood. Actually, Curt, the best thing to do is to PM Caveseeker7 and sort this little incident out privately. It's not worth having a feud over. You'll find that Stefan's a remarkably helpful person with a great sense of humour. You'll probably end up best friends. :07:

HEY!!!!!!

The FINN is back!! (Uh, I mean....) The 'Fins" is back!!! :11:

Rob

Thanks Rob and Kjell.

I'll PM Curt and try to keep this off the board.
For anyone else offended by that post, since it has been quoted twice deleting doesn't make sense. :joke: , by the way, means joke.
Before anyone else throws a fit, though, you may want to re-read post #13

Stefan

caveseeker7:
It has been more thoroughly tested than any other civilian rebreather....

Perhaps now we can get back to some serious discussion...

First, let me say that I am NOT knocking the Prism. It is a fine machine, and a good choice as a diving unit.

Second, this is in response to the word "more" in Stefan's statement above. The following comments were obtained in discussion with Martin Parker himself:

"The first testing (of the Inspiration) was done in 1996 at the U.K.'s Defense Equipment and Research Agency (DERA). (Ed. note: DERA has now been re-named "QinetiQs" which is pronounced "kinetics".) A complete and extensive series of tests was accomplished, resulting in the Inspiration meeting and achieving Comite Europeen de Normalization (CE) approval."

"Since then, we (APD) have returned every eighteen months (18) for continued testing. Further, we utilize our own test facility, including an ANSTI testing station, to run testing procedures in-house on a continuing basis."

To my knowlege, no electronically controlled fully-closed re-breather available in North America has achieved this CE approval as of this posting.

Thus, I would have to conclude that the Inspiration has been at least tested AS MUCH, IF NOT MORE SO, than any other civilian re-breather.

Rob Davie

Yes we can, Rob,
Curt and I fortunately sorted our disagreement out in PMs so we can move on without any differences in that regard.

Testing fo CE certification is a quite different than the testing the Prism has undergone.

If you want to test any rebreather, you can go to any number of testing houses and have tests performed. That includes DERA (I'll stay with that name if you don't mind, it's familiar and easier :wink: ) as well as NAVSEA (where the NAVY's EDU is located). At least in theory, if you have the money and they have the time. That's what NOAA did when they submitted an Inspiration and a MK-5P to be tested.

If any entity submits UBAs for testing they can choose the protocol, their own for example, or CE's if they pursue that certification. The early Prism's were submitted that way to DCIEM in Canada for testing. (NAVSEA does apply their own safety protocols if someone wants manned testing to be included).

NAVSEA tested the Prism to the NAVY's protocol, which is rather stringed and includes batteries of tests that were either not performed at all on the Inspiration (due to their relevance for military usage only) or requirements must have been lower for the Inspiration to pass. IIRC loop gas analysis is not part of the CE protocol, if it is the requirements must be lower, as the Inspiration was sorted out before any manned testing was done.

I don't know what testing procedures they continously run on their ANSI testing station, nor what the results are. I do remember them privately promising people to analyze the loop gas, did you ever see any results?

APD has always been pretty vague when it comes to test results. I've never seen anything but the CE approval statement, reference that DERA performed the tests, and my favorite, that the Inspiration's setpoint controller is the most accurate DERA ever tested (on their booth at DEMA - oh do I wish I had a picture of that one).
The question is what does it actually tell you?
Do you know which other units were tested by DERA?

I look at printouts from a VR3 comparing stock and HH electronics' setpoint control and I'm not impressed. Well, not by the most acurate setpoint controller DERA ever tested, anyway. Pretty obviously they haven't tested the Hammerhead yet. While I'm aware that the VR3 data is probably not the most accurate data out there, and the dives were actual ones rather than controlled dives in a wet chamber, that's all I got.

APD doesn't release test data, and I wonder if that sort of performance is the reason. Same with the promised loop gas anaysis. Did they test it, did they get the same results as NAVSEA?

As to which of the two reabreathers actually ended up having more testing done, we both guesstimate.
More as in higher number of different tests?
More as in more testing hours?
More as in more man hours?

Quite simply, we'll probably never know. APD refuses to give the actual information,
SMI will give you as much as they're allowed to but are barred from disclosing some.

So you'll probably keep believing that the Inspiration has undergone as much if not more testing and in APD's vague statements, while I'll put my trust into civillian and military personel at NAVSEA and the actual data SMI shares with the public and its customers.

Stefan

Disclaimer: It is not my intent to step on the shoes, booties or fins of the Inspiration fans out there, nor to provoke or insult anyone. It's my opinion, part knowledge, part believe. Not more, not less. Please take it that way.
Thanks.

Stefan,

You may say what you wish about the Navy testing versus the CE testing, but the plain truth is that the Prism was NOT accepted for U.S. Navy use, period, full-stop.
(In the interest of full disclosure, the Inspiration was not, either.)

I am curious that you seem to denigrate CE (actually CEN, or Europaische Norm--EN--in the German format) testing standards. You are, if I am not mistaken, either German or of German origin.

Since everyone knows what fanatics the Germans are about standards, and the Germans signed off on accepting the CEN testing, I am curious as to why you continue to insinuate that the CEN testing standards are lower.

Care to explain? :06:

Rob

I am curious as to why you continue to insinuate that the CEN testing standards are lower.
Care to explain? :06:
Sure.
1. CE protocol does not have to be met entirely for certification.
2. It doesn't include requirements and testing I believe to be relevant.

from what i can tell is-- the differences between the CE testing and the navy testing is this:

CE is a quality manufacturing test on products --- to make sure the quality of the product meets certain standards so as to be a good product-- not necessarily focusing on the elements that make a RB a good RB in the real world-- but more guaranteeing that its a quality made product

the NAVY testing is a real world(well at least the navy's real world) test of the units-- will our guys stay alive?-- does this unit work and how well when under stress conditions?-- How long can we really get out of this scrubber?-- Ect-- the tests start out with a dummy diver(insert joke here--lol) and then after the unit passes that --only then do they go on to live diver testing---- Only the Prism made it to this point (at least for off the shelf units)

so to me--
CE means-- my unit is a quality build.
navy= the units is truly tested on RB dive functionality and safty.

Is this a correct assessment?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom