Prices for FG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have to have a certain certification to dive the rigs or the FG? I just have the first PADI cert (which is open water certification I think its called), so do I need more? I am planning to take the next lvl courses when it starts warming up.

Makushr1:
Do you have to have a certain certification to dive the rigs or the FG? I just have the first PADI cert (which is open water certification I think its called), so do I need more? I am planning to take the next lvl courses when it starts warming up.

No special certs required although I strongly recommend Nitrox as it should get you more bottom time. And old folks like me think it doesn't tire you out as much. But it is fairly serious, no hand holding diving. No DM in the water helping to manage your dive - It's all up to you. Most sites are 80 to 100 ft with currents. You need basic navigation skills to find your way back. July & August are best months for calmer seas and reliable conditions.

But my costs for running a boat to the FG tripled between February 2005 and October 2005. Fuel prices have relaxed somewhat in the last 2 months, but interest continues to rise. We get the bulk of our revenue in July and August, that revenue carries us through October-May, when 90% of the scheduled trips blow out. Then there were the 7 trips cancelled in the summer for Hurricaines Dennis, Emily, Francis, Katrina, and Rita. Rita put the end to the dive season due to the amount of debris in the water.

Although I do enjoy most of my fellow divers, I don't do this for free. This is how I make my living. When you leave college and join the ranks of the working, or, become a small businessperson, you will learn that the direct costs (labor, fuel, food, loan payments, etc.) are only a part of what it costs to run a business. Imagine my liability insurance payments. The US Coast Guard charges for inspections. Engines must be rebuilt, and boats must be painted. Consider the cost per dive anyplace else in the Carribbean, after days off from work, drive time, airfare, hotel, food, etc. If you are looking for a good cheap dive trip, I would suggest the Blue Lagoon in Huntsville, or perhaps Lake Travis or Canyon Lake.

I often get passengers who would love me to cut the passenger load to 24 divers. The price would $550 for a weekend. There is a magic threshold at $400 for a dive weekend. I have done my best to hold the trip price below that. Another boat that runs to the FG has not been able to do that, and their operation in 2006 has been jepordized because of it. I won't run trips that lose money, that is poor business practice. If that is called "what the market will bear", so be it.

If you contact the FGBNMS office in College Station, you will find that we have a program for poor college students doing research in the FG. If you picked some other major, you can volunteer for the FGBNMS as a diver/helper, and you can dive the FG for free. You can become a Divemaster and lead trips for your local shop. If you can cook or wash dishes, you can volunteer on one of the boats.

divewookie:
But my costs for running a boat to the FG tripled between February 2005 and October 2005. Fuel prices have relaxed somewhat in the last 2 months, but interest continues to rise. We get the bulk of our revenue in July and August, that revenue carries us through October-May, when 90% of the scheduled trips blow out. Then there were the 7 trips cancelled in the summer for Hurricaines Dennis, Emily, Francis, Katrina, and Rita. Rita put the end to the dive season due to the amount of debris in the water.

Although I do enjoy most of my fellow divers, I don't do this for free. This is how I make my living. When you leave college and join the ranks of the working, or, become a small businessperson, you will learn that the direct costs (labor, fuel, food, loan payments, etc.) are only a part of what it costs to run a business. Imagine my liability insurance payments. The US Coast Guard charges for inspections. Engines must be rebuilt, and boats must be painted. Consider the cost per dive anyplace else in the Carribbean, after days off from work, drive time, airfare, hotel, food, etc. If you are looking for a good cheap dive trip, I would suggest the Blue Lagoon in Huntsville, or perhaps Lake Travis or Canyon Lake.

I often get passengers who would love me to cut the passenger load to 24 divers. The price would $550 for a weekend. There is a magic threshold at $400 for a dive weekend. I have done my best to hold the trip price below that. Another boat that runs to the FG has not been able to do that, and their operation in 2006 has been jepordized because of it. I won't run trips that lose money, that is poor business practice. If that is called "what the market will bear", so be it.

If you contact the FGBNMS office in College Station, you will find that we have a program for poor college students doing research in the FG. If you picked some other major, you can volunteer for the FGBNMS as a diver/helper, and you can dive the FG for free. You can become a Divemaster and lead trips for your local shop. If you can cook or wash dishes, you can volunteer on one of the boats.

I have always been interested in animals and marine life. Unfortunantly I am too far along in my studies (Finance) for a total change in major, although it has crossed my mind numerous times. So, I guess what im banking on now is that my degree will make me enough money so I can dive as much as I want. Thanks for the input divewookie!

My wife has a degree in finance. She uses it to divemaster on the Spree. You will do better volunteering for the Sanctuary.

divewookie:

Easy there, divewookie! I don't think anyone here is challenging the price or your right to charge it.

Scuba is an expensive sport. New divers often don't realize that fact when they take their relatively-inexpensive OW class. I'm sure the original poster will see this as he/she becomes more experienced!

Hemlon:
Easy there, divewookie! I don't think anyone here is challenging the price or your right to charge it.

Scuba is an expensive sport. New divers often don't realize that fact when they take their relatively-inexpensive OW class. I'm sure the original poster will see this as he/she becomes more experienced!

Agreed. Be glad college students get involved with SCUBA. Those poor college kids grow up to be adults with good jobs and money to spend. Keep them involved or lose them to a more convenient hobby like golf.

wet-willie:
Not that cheap either when you get into it.

Willie

My point exactly. Notice I said a more convenient hobby, not a cheaper one.

Hemlon:

Thanks there Hemlon, you said what I was trying to get across. I know it costs alot for these long trips on boats, and I know boats are expensive (gas, maintance, repairs, etc.). I just didnt know if the flyer I was looking at was more expensive because it was a more private trip. I was just curious if the 400ish was a group of like 7-10 people, and if there was a trip of like 15-20 that costed like 300. But from all the sites I've read online, they usually have a fairly identical price.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom