Prices for FG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are the primary reasons or times of the year they cancel trips? I did see where they make a decision for the weekends at noon Friday. If you're leaving from North Texas, that's pretty late to make the decision considering traffic while trying to get through Houston!

dartref:
What are the primary reasons or times of the year they cancel trips? I did see where they make a decision for the weekends at noon Friday. If you're leaving from North Texas, that's pretty late to make the decision considering traffic while trying to get through Houston!

I can't speak for Divewookie but if it ain't mechanical (seldom) it'll be during the colder months and wind and seas would be the primary reason for cancellations. It gets really rough out there that time of the year and diver safety is a major consideration.

Additionally, Divewookie runs a real tight ship and if he cancels it's because it should've been cancelled. July, August & September are best months...However, anytime you can get out there it is a great experience.

Regards,

Thanks for the tips. I just started diving last summer and am excited about going to FG. I hope to get to do that soon!

awap:
But it does include room (OK, bunk) and board as well as entertainment. It is 7 top notch dives.

Exactly right! Some of my best dives ever have been at the FG.

I didn't mean to imply the FG trips were over priced, they aren't. And no one expects DiveWookie or any of the other boats to do this without a profit. If I just HAD to get to clear saltwater, the FG would be my first choice. But when you have 2 divers to pay for, we can do some freshwater diving and still be together for far less.

Just my 2¢, mine alone.

If you are calling DFW North Texas, considering they board at 8:30p getting there on time with a noon departure isn't hard. I have done it many times. You can also call the office and let Sharon know you may be late if there is a fatal accident on 45 and you need to drop a child off in Houston (BTDT). They leave the dock at about 10p

You can also watch the whether forcasts on the buoy site and get an idea of what to expect and if the trip will go.

This is no guarantee of anything.

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn:
If you are calling DFW North Texas, considering they board at 8:30p getting there on time with a noon departure isn't hard. I have done it many times. You can also call the office and let Sharon know you may be late if there is a fatal accident on 45 and you need to drop a child off in Houston (BTDT). They leave the dock at about 10p

You can also watch the whether forcasts on the buoy site and get an idea of what to expect and if the trip will go.

This is no guarantee of anything.

TwoBit
Knowing that it is right at 250 miles from Dallas to Houston, about 4 hours, how long does it usually take to get to the dock on a Friday afternoon while having to go through Houston during rush hour?

Nice to know you can call ahead if you run into problems!

1.5-2 hrs additional. I don't fly low so some can do it faster. I allow 7 hrs for the trip for pee stops and snacks. I like to grab a shrimp po boy in freeport too.

When I work the boats, I generally leave The Woodlands, (35 miles north of Houston) at 5pm when I get off work. I am suppose to be on the boats prepping it for the trip no later tha 7pm. Even leaving at 5 and being north of Houston, I still make the 92miles (driveway to dock) in 1.5 to 1.75 hours and that is doing about 70 (which is the speed limit when you get South of Houston).

If you have never dove the Flower Gardens, trust me, you don't know what you are missing. It is some of the most magnificent diving I have ever had the pleasure of. Awesome and in very good condition, reefs, fish EVERYWHERE, deep water platform dive, sharks, rays, turtles, and even the small stuff. Then you have Stetson....OMG.

This thread started off about prices, so I will start there. There are a few operators. I know of one who charges $365 during the week and $415 on the weekend. Then add $65 if you dive Nitrox. This is pretty much the going rate anywhere you look FG.

Leaving at noon from N. Texas will leave plenty of time to get there. I live by Wylie and get there with time to spare. Traffic in Houston gets rough, but seems to flow smoothly. 250 miles from Dallas to Houston is from the outer city limits. Expect the trip to take around 5-6 hours as Freeport is about an hour south of Houston. Total trip is about 310 miles from Plano, Texas.

We are scheduled to go March 16-17 to see the hammerheads schooling. Can't wait! Hopefully we will get to see a few.

dartref:

I feel your pain. Last year I had a friend boarding a plane in Seattle when the trip cancelled. Too late to change flights. It was even more disappointing since he bought a ticket last minute to take my wife's place as she had an unexpected surgery and was in recovery. My wife and I took the trip knowing that a cancellation just puts us out a drive and hotel room. He took the trip knowing that there is always potential of cancellation but we all thought it was a safe bet when we continued to get favorable status until after time to for him to leave for the airport. I was able to salvage his trip somewhat by finding a small boat going to the rigs. They took us on last minute. One day I will get to the FG, but I don't think I will invite out of town guests again. Friday isn't enough time for them to change flights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom