Preparedness for dive computer failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is your plan for dealing with a dive computer failure? Do you have a spare computer? Do you dive with it or leave it topside? Is it one you obtained intentionally as a spare or simply an older computer that you kept when you decided to upgrade?

Do you have a depth gauge and timer (or dive watch) that are not part of a computer that are part of your kit? Do you dive them routinely or only in the event of a computer failure?

I've currently got 2 computers... an Oceanic VT 4.1 (hoseless AI) in a wrist mount, and an Oceanic Veo 2.0 (my original dive computer) in a console mount with analog pressure gauge. The former is newly acquired (so I haven't used it yet), but the intent is to always dive with both... if one fails, the other will be used to ensure that safety isn't compromised (followed by immediate servicing/replacement of the failed unit, naturally).

I also plan to compare the air pressure and depth readings a few times across each dive, to catch the (unlikely) scenario where a sensor is going dangerously out of calibration without an outright dive computer failure.

You ask six questions.
1. My detailed plan depends on the kind of dive, e.g. shallow recreational or deep cave. The basic plan is to assume that it will die, and to be irritated and perhaps incovvenienced but not to be put in jeopardy, and hopefully not lose any dives or dive time.
2. Yes, more than one.
3. I dive with at least one spare, so it knows my nitrogen and oxygen (and perhaps helium) status. This is how I avoid being inconvenienced or put into jeopardy.
4. Both
5. Nothing additional for time/depth over the 2-3 computers with me, unless the nature of the dive (e.g., certain technical dives) demands primary use of tables, then a dedicated bottom timer or a computer in gauge mode are the primary devices.
6. If I really need something on a dive (like depth, time!) I carry at least two ways of making sure I have that info.

The alternative is immediate ascent upon a computer/depth/timer failure. That is definitely irritating, is often an inconvenience, is not always possible (think cave), and may well keep me out of the water for 24h while my body resets to zero N2 and O2. I don't want any of those things.

I should have added that I don't currently dive with a depth gauge and timer, although I wouldn't necessarily rule them out going forward. The likelihood of 2 computers failing simultaneously is quite remote, however, so I don't currently view them as critical additions to my dive kit.

For OW diving, if the computer were to completely fail I'd end the dive. Simple as that. I look frequently enough to know I'm not going to be low on gas so it's a nice easy ascent. It hasn't happened to me yet, so I have no idea how annoyed I'd really be.

For cave, I carry two computers (both shearwater petrel). Also, i'm using analog spg for gas in cave.

I'm a fairly novice diver, but worry about things like that (and just about everything else, being new to the sport). I have only one computer. I estimate my NDL for my planned max depth (being conservative) before each dive - just like in the old days, plus I assume I could just go up to about 20' for the rest of the dive if needed. Does this sound reasonable?

My main computer is a non-wireless AI, the Suunto Cobra. For quite a while it was my only underwater timing device, so if it went belly up underwater I'd do what is taught in OW class: thumb the dive and ascend on my buddy's computer. Since I had no other timing device, that'd mean I didn't dive until it was fixed or replaced. If I'd had a diving watch, I'd take a 2+ hour SI and dive my tables with a starting PG of B or C depending on the depth and duration of the preceding dive. Provided I could find a loaner SPG, that is.

Since I found a used Stinger at a good price, I bought it as a watch/backup PDC combination. If my primary computer goes belly-up I'm still kinda SOL, though, since it's AI.

I don't worry much about it. Follow what you were taught in OW class and be prepared to sit out a dive or two.

If I ever went on a liveaboard, I might be concerned about a backup SPG. Other diving, not so much.

And if you want your backup computer to be a true backup, it has to come with you on every dive if you want to dive again that day.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I dive with an Aeris VT3, BUD and a Tissot Sea Touch watch.
I travel with backup Aeris computer and transmitter.
My plan, if my computer fails, is to end the dive, ascending using the BUD and watch. Once topside fix the problem, I.E. change battery or computer. I will finish the day using the BUD for no deco time. It has been my experience that no deco times between the BUD and replacement computer are virtually the same by the end of the next day.

I do not have a spare computer, though I have the tables in my save-a-dive kit. If/when I buy a new computer, my old one will become a backup.

What happens if there's a computer failure? It depends partly on the dive, but either way I plan out the dives ahead of time. If my computer were to quit part-way through a dive, I still know my no-stop time (though now I'm stuck using the table's square profile). I don't have another timing device, but my buddy's computer has the dive time on it which should be within a minute or so of what my computer would have shown. I have a depth gauge in my console as well for timing ascents if need be.

As for backups, if you're going to have one, take it with you on the dive. That's the only way it'll be able to track your nitrogen loading if you're doing multiple dives.

What is your plan for dealing with a dive computer failure? Do you have a spare computer? Do you dive with it or leave it topside? Is it one you obtained intentionally as a spare or simply an older computer that you kept when you decided to upgrade?

Do you have a depth gauge and timer (or dive watch) that are not part of a computer that are part of your kit? Do you dive them routinely or only in the event of a computer failure?

Did you ask your instructor these questions ?

Back
Top Bottom