Preparedness for dive computer failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry two computers, neither are AI, both running the same algorithm, and I usually have a third (my retired comp.) in my dive bag.

I have only one computer. I was trained on tables to the point that even when I was diving with the computer, for my first dive my computer really did not show anything that I already did not know. I memorized the NDL from US Navy dive tables for all depth down to 130. Computer was only there to confirm what was already in my head. On my second dive, I had some of the math figured out with one hour surface interval and what bottom time it would give me for each depth. With depth averaging and remembering a few numbers I can do two dives a day without a computer. My mental math will collapse on me if a third dive of the day was to be done and when nitrox would come into play. That is when I would either need to look at a table or have a computer. I am planning to get a back up computer which I will use only for liveaboard diving. If you are out in the ocean for a week and something falls apart then doing one week of diving on tables would not be fun. For my regular two dives a day I don't need a back up computer or even a primary one. I believe that if I memorize the NDLs for Nitrox 32 and 36 then for my normal 2 dives a day I can do without a computer even when nitrox is involved.

For years I dived tables + watch then PADI wheel + watch, air NDLs are pretty much ingrained in my head. I bought my first computer around 96 I think and later in 2004 I had to replace it with one that handled Nitrox, and also learned the NDLs for EAN32/36 in event of a computer failure and still carry tables with me so I can dive without a computer if I have to. However I generally dive with two computers these days, came in handy when my daughter picked up a new computer on our way to Lembeh this year and forgot to change her old one to Nitrox and for some reason her new one went into Air mode during her first two dives and I had to lend her my spare until her computers returned to normal.

Tech diving is another story, every dive is planned and run time written down on my wet notes, this gets quite comprehensive as back up plans also have to include my buddy's gas mix if it is different from mine as well as lost deco gas calculations, so provided my timer does not pack in, my dive plan is solid even in event of a computer failure.

What is your plan for dealing with a dive computer failure?
Switch to a backup computer.
Do you have a spare computer?
Yes - several, actually many.
Do you dive with it or leave it topside?
All of my backups dive with me. My extra backups dive with my buddy. A topside computer is useless.
Is it one you obtained intentionally as a spare or simply an older computer that you kept when you decided to upgrade?
All were obtained unintentionally due to an ebay compulsion. I sold my old computer...on ebay.
Do you have a depth gauge and timer (or dive watch) that are not part of a computer that are part of your kit?
I just tossed my mechanical depth gauge since I have not looked at it in years. But I still have my $20 timex watch attached to my bcd. The battery is not dead yet. And I have a bunch (5) of sherwood bottom timers I want to try out real soon now.
Do you dive them routinely or only in the event of a computer failure?
Everything gets wet every dive. Including my backup camera which is stuffed in my bcd pocket and an extra strobe and several lights...

---------- Post added December 11th, 2015 at 01:32 AM ----------

P.S. Anyone looking for a spare computer, camera or strobe?

Everything gets wet every dive. Including my backup camera which is stuffed in my bcd pocket and an extra strobe and several lights...

:rofl:

You're taking redundancy to a new level, my friend!

:rofl:

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

My primary is a Suunto Vyper Air and a Suunto Vytec is always in a pocket.

Even my "local" dives are a 3 hour dive each way, so I'd be really pissed if I had to skip the second, or cut the first short because of a computer failure

You're taking redundancy to a new level, my friend!
eBay is your friend when it comes to redundancy!

On a serious note, I get annoyed when people whinge about the cost of having "adequate" gear. Do your research, learn how to look after and repair your stuff. Scuba gear is not rocket science. Good condition used gear is affordable. It is even more affordable if you can fix it.

My first computer was purchased at the LDS and was VERY EXPENSIVE. My divebuddy's first computer was purchased at the LDS and was EVEN MORE EXPENSIVE. Our third computer (second one failed!) was purchased at the LDS and was WAY TOO EXPENSIVE.

We then got smart(er). All subsequent purchases were eBay fire sales: they ranged from $30 to $60. All various models of dead battery uwatec aladins. All successfully resurrected with $5 battery and a bit of a mess.

P.S. I have carried a "pocket camera" in my BCD for the last few years. Bought it used off craigs list from a little old lady. Used it exactly 1 dive. Well worth every penny!

My primary computer is an Oceanic VT3, hoseless AI, more than 5 years, more than 600 dives, has never failed. My backup for more than 4 years, more than 500 dives, is an Oceanic Geo2 and a SPG, neither has ever failed. I've never needed my backup, but I could. I generally dive multiple days, multiple dives per day, I don't want to miss a dive or series of dives due to computer problems.

Local diving my buddy's computer (hubby) is my backup. We also know the sites, depths and how long we can do on the fills.

When I travel I prefer to have a backup computer. My primary computer decided I was doing multiple bounces to 120M (394') at BHB. We ignored the alarms and completed the dive on my backup computer. I finished the trip with my backup computer only and watch for a bottom timer.

Now that both our primary computers have died (honourable deaths after many dives) I have replaced mine and the backup is now hubby's primary until he finds a computer he likes. Anybody got a Uatec Smartcom for sale cheap?

We do have backup lights and I on;y carry my backup point and shoot camera on some dives.

I prepare for computer failures by staying within NDL so I can end the dive if the computer fails. If I was going on vacation to the great barrier reef or something, I would bring 2 so it wouldn't ruin my vacation. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom