Preparedness for dive computer failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Datamask for primary computer, OC1 for backup, both AI. BUD is clipped on my BCD and stays there. I have a SPG in the dive bag in case transmitter fails. I spend a lot of money to go on a trip, I don't want problems to mess up a dive trip.

Datamask for primary computer, OC1 for backup, both AI. BUD is clipped on my BCD and stays there. I have a SPG in the dive bag in case transmitter fails. I spend a lot of money to go on a trip, I don't want problems to mess up a dive trip.

Datamask is the only current Oceanic computer that runs only DSAT and not dual algorithm. You run the OC1 and BUD in DSAT too, to match? I dive a VT3 primary that only runs DSAT, I run my Geo2 backup in DSAT also. I'm kind of surprised that Oceanic never upgraded the Datamask to dual algorithm, multiple gases... I wonder if they are going to continue to offer it, shows out of stock on Oceanic website and the largest online seller

I use a Shearwater Predator. Have OMS or UWATEC bottom timer and Navy tables in my wet notes. Locally that's all I need. On a trip I'd take my Oceanic Veo as a back up but more likely just plan the dives as square profiles and stick to the plans. I don't need to dip into every crack and crevice. If I find one at a good price at the right time I'd not be averse to picking up another Predator or a Petrel.

What is your plan for dealing with a dive computer failure? Do you have a spare computer? Do you dive with it or leave it topside? Is it one you obtained intentionally as a spare or simply an older computer that you kept when you decided to upgrade?

Do you have a depth gauge and timer (or dive watch) that are not part of a computer that are part of your kit? Do you dive them routinely or only in the event of a computer failure?

Yes. My primary DC is a wrist mount, but my console also has a depth gauge, and I wear a separate dive watch too.

yes, they all match. They all match for everything as I check them during a dive. I have had the Datamask the longest. It is 3 or 4 years old.

I bought the BUD as backup originally. I got the OC1 because I got a really good, couldn't turn it down deal.

Datamask is the only current Oceanic computer that runs only DSAT and not dual algorithm. You run the OC1 and BUD in DSAT too, to match? I dive a VT3 primary that only runs DSAT, I run my Geo2 backup in DSAT also. I'm kind of surprised that Oceanic never upgraded the Datamask to dual algorithm, multiple gases... I wonder if they are going to continue to offer it, shows out of stock on Oceanic website and the largest online seller

Back
Top Bottom