Predisposition to DCI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmcdds

Contributor
Reaction score
Does having a minor bout with very mild DCI symptoms predispose you to future DCI. Future meaning a different dive trip, not future dives on the same trip.

mmcdds:
Does having a minor bout with very mild DCI symptoms predispose you to future DCI. Future meaning a different dive trip, not future dives on the same trip.

There was a similar thread just few weeks ago on exactly the same subject - search for it

I am sure the docs will jump in in no time, but the answer is - it depends. Was the previous episode triggered by undiagnosed PFO? then yes, you will be more succeptible

Did the previous episode leave any damage? You may think it did not only to find yourself bend doing very conservative profile

My advice would be to get checked by a dive doc and dive extra conservatively until you are sure your body can handle it

mmcdds:
Yes, but it can be more than just physical reasons. If the conditions that increase the risk for bends isn't corrected: poor fitness, obesity high pre-post dive water activity, etc., it of course, can recur.

As for physical reasons, if a PFO or worse a not visible shunt exists, then said diver is at more risk than the normal population.

In such cases, a diver should opt to discuss the situation with a diving physician to optimize strategies to reduce bubbling risk: improving fitness, weight reduction, diving nitrox on air tables, reducing bottom time further, reducing depth, mid-depth safety stops, breather richer nitrox on the safety stop, longer safety stops etc.,

Hello mmcdds:

Predisposition to DCS

I am not sure that I would call it a “predisposition to DCS at a later time.” That seems, to me, to imply that something is set up in the body that will allow DCS to appear more readily at a later time. This is somewhat akin to becoming sensitized to an allergen.

It is known that resistance (or susceptibility) to DCS (Type I or joint pain) will vary from person to person. This is more easily demonstrated in an altitude chamber than a diving chamber, but the principal is the same.

If you have experienced a bout of joint-pain DCS, it might indicate that you are in the sensitive category. Care in diving in the future would be in order. Neurological DCS is a different matter and is always of concern with regard to a repeat appearance.

Dr Deco :doctor:

i understand that complement activation contributes greatly to the deleterious effects of bubbles in the body but is there an antigen-antibody component?

it would seem the proteins that adhere to the surface of the bubble would undergo conformation change that might make them seem like an antigen. if this happens then the immune response could result in an cell mediated allergic type reaction where with an additional exposure the reaction is worse.
i can't see an immune response the the nitrogen itself . i always thought inert gases were exactly that... inert.

dt

Hello Readers:

Complement System

There does not appear to be a lot of confidence in the complement system as a major factor in DCS. Experimental work generally does not show any effect in human divers.

Those of us who have worked with animal models extensively for several decades looked upon all of this complement work with a jaundiced eye. The complement concept does not appear in the latest edition of the Bennett and Elliott book. :headshake

Dr Deco :doctor:

Back
Top Bottom