Prayers for a swamper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi All.

A payPal account has been set up for donations. David's medical care and other expenses are expected to exceed $1 million, so they need all the help they can get. Let's all dig deep!

Dive For David

If everyone will copy the above link and put it in their signature line, it can go viral super fast!

Hi All.

A payPal account has been set up for donations. David's medical care and other expenses are expected to exceed $1 million, so they need all the help they can get. Let's all dig deep!

Dive For David

If everyone will copy the above link and put it in their signature line, it can go viral super fast!

Donation made!

How do I put the link in my signature?

I will make a donation this evening when I get home. But it somehow does not seem like enough. So since I have some experience at running auctions to raise funds I'm goingto start a new thread. Look for " AUCTION: A HOG wing for David and Monica".
I have brand new HOG 58lb doubles wing and a copy of my book on CD that I will put up to raise funds for them. I'm thinking since the need is urgent I'm going to run it for only two weeks and there will be a minimum bid. All funds collected will go to the paypal fund set up for David and the winning bidder will be directed to send funds there. I will pay for the shipping in the US. Out of country winner will be responsible for it otherwise.

It will be in the good causes forum. Thanks,
Jim Lapenta
UDM Aquatic Services

Last edited by a moderator:
I just sent in my donation and plan to do so monthly as long as David and Monica need help. :)

Cyp

Update from Monica
Good Morning Everyone,

We have had some inquires about if the wedding is still on or not. I have had time to think this morning and I truly feel in my gut, and I know David’s family believes this too, that the wedding will still happen in Cozumel as planned on July 7th, with the exception of the underwater part. The wedding is 4 months away and I know that once David is through his surgeries and out of the hospital he will still want to go to Cozumel for the weekend to get married. We all know how stubborn he is, and when he wants to do something he will find a way to make it happen. :)

We really will know more in a month, so if you can wait to book your airfare that would be great! We will see how David is progressing after his surgeries to make a better determination and find out if his doctor feels it is okay for him to travel and find out if he can travel to a foreign country. Your skin protects you from a lot of diseases, so we will need the doctor's blessing to travel.

If in a month, my gut is right about the wedding still being on in Cozumel. It will be unclear if David and I will be going for the entire week or if we will go for the weekend. David will more than likely not be able to dive for a while as his skin heals fully. Also, since he has fresh skin, I am sure the doctors will advise him to not be in the sun too much because he will be very susceptible to sunburns.

I know all of you understand that the most important thing is David’s health, but we have a feeling he will say in a couple of months that him and I will be saying our vows to each other on the beach in Cozumel.

I will keep you posted.

Also, I wanted to let everyone know that I have secured a place to stay for the next 3 months. Thank you all for your efforts in trying to help find me a place to stay and my apologies for the lack of responses to so many offers. You all are truly wonderful. I need to also give a special thanks to my amazing grandmother for helping me out in this emergency. If you would like to send any cards, you can send them to the hotel and we will read them to David. We will take a picture of the card to show him while he is in ICU or put it out side is windows. David will be in isolation for a month or so, and he will not be able to have things hanging in is room that can potentially collect germs, which could cause an infection. Here is the address:

Residence Inn by Marriott
San Antonio Airport
ATTN: Monica Winston
1014 NE Loop 410
San Antonio, TX 78209

David has been sleeping for the past couple of days, which is normal for burn victims. His body is trying to repair itself and it takes a lot of energy to do that. Please continue to keep in him your prayers.

Monday morning at 8am he will go in for his first big surgery. The burn trauma surgeon said they will be doing skin graphs and removing the third degree burned tissue from David, so bacteria and infections cannot form, and replace it will good skin of David's. They will also be using a water jet on his legs where there is a deep degree of 2nd degree burns. This jet will remove the top burned layers of the skin and if the area starts bleeding, that means that area will be able to heal itself and skin grafting is not required. Currently David’s body has about 20% of 3rd degree burns that need skin grafting, this includes his legs. So, when they are in the OR if his legs start to bleed a bit that number will go down. The doctor said that he could have up to 5 surgeries, but the one on Monday is the biggest one. Please think happy thoughts, believe and pray that everything goes very well, and believe for his legs to respond to the water jet device.

Thank you all for your prayers and please continue to write posts on his page and mine. I have been reading them to him even while he has been sleeping. He can still hear things. If you want to video your encouraging words or call my cell and leave a message. I will play them for him. Please say who you are, so he can hear your message. The number to call and leave a message on is 512-222-9786. This will go to my Google voice number, so all of your messages will be saved.

Again, my family and David's family cannot tell you how much it means to us to know you are supporting us and helping us to get through this rough period. We are truly blessed with so many wonderful family and friends!! Thank you again for your support morally and financially. You are all God's best!!

PS. Please keep those wonderful scriptures coming as well. They really do help give me strength.

We love you all!
Monica's Family & the Frisk Family

A special thank you from Monica & David:
I also want to say thank you to the Dive Instructors that David has trained under.....you guys truly help David in the skills you taught him to save his life.....I cannot discuss the specific details that David told to us on Monday, but I can tell you his dive training of staying calm in an emergency, holding his breath to save his lungs, and his cave training of finding his way out of the fire to the street (visability being blown out/lights out drills) truly helped in saving his life.....so thank you for what your training. I am extremely grateful he could learn from so many wonderful people.
Mike Ange
Rob Neto
German Yañez
Bill Stone
Pete Murray
Forgive me if I did not name you. I don't always remember all David's instructors. :)Thank you to those special individuals!

Update from Facebook:

[h=6]Update from Monica

Monica Winston

Good Morning Everyone,

We have had some inquires about if the wedding is still on or not. I have had time to think this morning and I truly feel in my gut, and I know David’s family believes this too, that the wedding will still happen in Cozumel as planned on July 7th, with the exception of the underwater part. The wedding is 4 months away and I know that once David is through his surgeries and out of the hospital he will still want to go to Cozumel for the weekend to get married. We all know how stubborn he is, and when he wants to do something he will find a way to make it happen. :)

We really will know more in a month, so if you can wait to book your airfare that would be great! We will see how David is progressing after his surgeries to make a better determination and find out if his doctor feels it is okay for him to travel and find out if he can travel to a foreign country. Your skin protects you from a lot of diseases, so we will need the doctor's blessing to travel.

If in a month, my gut is right about the wedding still being on in Cozumel. It will be unclear if David and I will be going for the entire week or if we will go for the weekend. David will more than likely not be able to dive for a while as his skin heals fully. Also, since he has fresh skin, I am sure the doctors will advise him to not be in the sun too much because he will be very susceptible to sunburns.

I know all of you understand that the most important thing is David’s health, but we have a feeling he will say in a couple of months that him and I will be saying our vows to each other on the beach in Cozumel.

I will keep you posted.

Also, I wanted to let everyone know that I have secured a place to stay for the next 3 months. Thank you all for your efforts in trying to help find me a place to stay and my apologies for the lack of responses to so many offers. You all are truly wonderful. I need to also give a special thanks to my amazing grandmother for helping me out in this emergency. If you would like to send any cards, you can send them to the hotel and we will read them to David. We will take a picture of the card to show him while he is in ICU or put it out side is windows. David will be in isolation for a month or so, and he will not be able to have things hanging in is room that can potentially collect germs, which could cause an infection. Here is the address:

Residence Inn by Marriott
San Antonio Airport
ATTN: Monica Winston
1014 NE Loop 410
San Antonio, TX 78209

David has been sleeping for the past couple of days, which is normal for burn victims. His body is trying to repair itself and it takes a lot of energy to do that. Please continue to keep in him your prayers.

Monday morning at 8am he will go in for his first big surgery. The burn trauma surgeon said they will be doing skin graphs and removing the third degree burned tissue from David, so bacteria and infections cannot form, and replace it will good skin of David's. They will also be using a water jet on his legs where there is a deep degree of 2nd degree burns. This jet will remove the top burned layers of the skin and if the area starts bleeding, that means that area will be able to heal itself and skin grafting is not required. Currently David’s body has about 20% of 3rd degree burns that need skin grafting, this includes his legs. So, when they are in the OR if his legs start to bleed a bit that number will go down. The doctor said that he could have up to 5 surgeries, but the one on Monday is the biggest one. Please think happy thoughts, believe and pray that everything goes very well, and believe for his legs to respond to the water jet device.

Thank you all for your prayers and please continue to write posts on his page and mine. I have been reading them to him even while he has been sleeping. He can still hear things. If you want to video your encouraging words or call my cell and leave a message. I will play them for him. Please say who you are, so he can hear your message. The number to call and leave a message on is 512-222-9786. This will go to my Google voice number, so all of your messages will be saved.

Again, my family and David's family cannot tell you how much it means to us to know you are supporting us and helping us to get through this rough period. We are truly blessed with so many wonderful family and friends!! Thank you again for your support morally and financially. You are all God's best!!

PS. Please keep those wonderful scriptures coming as well. They really do help give me strength.

We love you all!
Monica's Family & the Frisk Family — with Mandy Lu Harris and 19 others.[/h]

Back
Top Bottom