Prayers for a swamper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monday's updates from Monica:
David made some good progress today. The nurses were able to get David's CO2 levels down late last night, which made him a little more conscious and responsive today than the past couple of days. Today we worked on David's stomach pain. Pain caused from the side effects of his meds and from when he was intubated Sunday and Monday. They were able to relieve some of his pain, but are still working on getting his abdominal pain under control. Again, he made excellent progress today and he made Sherry and I very happy when he fought to speak the words I love you tonight when we went to visit him. Please pray for the relief of his abdominal pain and for great results in his surgery...with the Bristoljet exposing the capillaries in his legs, which would tell us that graphing is not necessary on his legs, and for the healing of the area they are taking skin from and for the area they are attaching new skin to. He does have other spots that definitely need grafting, but his legs are a deep 2nd degree burn, which means it could be a 3rd degree or a 2nd degree burn, which we will find out tomorrow when (if) his legs begin to respond to the Bristoljet. He is third on the list for surgeries tomorrow, which means he will likely go into surgery between 11am and 1pm. The surgery is supposed to take up to 4 hrs, but we are hoping for less as we are believing his legs will not require graphs.

Thank you for your prayers and for your inspirational thoughts!

We love all of you guys!

David is scheduled for suregery around 11am. Surgery should last 2-4 hours. Hopefully 2hrs with little areas to repair. David Frisk is in good health this morning for his surgery. His vitals are great, CO2 decreased more, which is great, is PH level is where it should be, and I am not clear on his level of pain with his stomach pain. They did an x-ray this morning. Anyway, happy thoughts today! :)

Tuesday's updates from Monica:
Just got done visiting with David. His surgery lasted 5 hours. 25% of his burns were grafted. Another surgery will occur in 7-14 days to allow the donor skin to heal, so they can take from those areas again. David did well. They are working on getting his blood pressure up a bit, but other than that he is doing good. He is sedated and intubated. They plan to extubate him hopefully tomorrow. Each day is a new day. Thank you for your prayers and happy thoughts. David will likely be sedated for most of this week to allow his wounds to heal without him moving around. I'm so proud of him and how strong he and his body are. He is enduring a lot and is hanging in there. I couldn't be happier. We will see what tomorrow brings. Goodnight.
~Monica~
Please also keep David's parents in your prayers too and not just David and I. They are down here in San Antonio and feel they same way I'd do, so when I write "I" I mean "we." I am so used to posting I on my page, but his parents are down here as well and I want everyone to know that they are baring this too and it's exhausting for them as well. They are wonderful soon to be in-laws to have and David and I are really blessed with not only wonder friends but wonderful families! Please keep them in your prayers too. Thank you. :)

This morning's update:
Good Morning Everyone,

My apologies for not posting yesterday, but I was exhausted. Yesterday David started the day with a high temperature, which is not uncommon after a surgery for a burn victim. They addressed it and by the end of the evening it was much lower. He was also extubated yesterday around 1pm, which means his breathing tube was removed and he is breathing on his own. The intubation causes air to enter into this intestines, which causes him cramps and pain, so they gave him something for that yesterday evening, but it takes a few treatments to help resolve it. Last night he was being treated for that as well. David was responsive to me when I asked him to cough to get the stuff out of his throat, he did listen to me so that makes me happy to know his is coherent even he is drugged up. He is not able to talk. He only moans which means he is trying to talk. His O2 levels are excellent, which means he does not require any additional oxygen to sustain those levels. Hi s CO2 levels were still good as well. Bless his heart; he is just dealing with a lot of pain.

Last night when I went in at 8pm, they had exposed his donor sights to allow the air to get to them and start healing. David's doctor said he will probably need 3-4 more surgeries as they will need to allow the donor skin to heal to be able take from those areas again to continue to cover the rest of his burns.

His face looked wonderful yesterday as well and is healing nicely.

We will see what today holds and hope that today is another day of rest and healing.

Posted this morning:
David was in a lot of pain yesterday. Please pray for his pain level to decrease and pray for the healing of his skin donor sights. The doctor said his 2nd surgery will be next week. Please keep praying for the balance and healing of David's body. We need him to be in the best possible shape when he goes for surgery. Thank you.

Wishing you all the best on your surgery today! We're all pulling for you! Get back on your feet soon so we can all go diving and have a cold one to toast your recovery!

The prayers from myself, to all involved are daily............

I ask Blessings of our Lord & Savior Jesus Christ to the victim, and family and friends,,,,,
Prayer does WORK, just as those whom prayed.... 3.25 years ago for myself and 2 sons of mine involved in a very serious accident up north on black ice.

God Bless,
Alan K.

I have read all of the postings on this thread and the accident thread. What a terrible accident. I pray for his recovery and that he has minimal pain during recovery.

Wow.. Words just can't describe how I feel after reading this thread... I can't Thank You all enough for all the thoughts and prayers. There is absolutely no doubt that they have been helping..
I have a hard time typing at the moment due to the burns on my hand and the pressure on one of the nerves (in both hands) which renders my thumb, pointer and middle fingers very numb and far from fully functional. I have a carpal tunnel type surgery scheduled for next week which will hopefully have a positive affect on this... Even if it does not, I'm VERY grateful to have all of my fingers, etc!!

I'll try and give a basic update on my condition..
I am still at BAMC in San Antonio, TX. The docs and nurses here are incredible! With their help and all of your prayers I am actually ahead of schedule in the healing process. Again, I am very thankful that I didn't lose any limbs, lung capacity, hearing, and especially my vision.. I've heard of people losing a lot more with a lot less (02).. I'm not trying to sound vein (sp?) but I have no scars what-so-ever on my face... Something else that is hard to believe! My right arm, legs and back didn't fair as well..
The skin graphs on my ankles have been especially painful and them using most of my back as donor areas made life interesting until it finally healed up just a few days ago. I've been going to physical therapy for the last few weeks and taking small steps, literally... I was a bit unnerved to find out I couldn't walk the first time I tried! This may not be the case for everyone but after being laid up off my feet over a month... Having literally hundreds of staples in my ankles and legs didn't help!
I've gotten to the point where I can walk slowly by myself but still have a ways to go.. If I had my way I would be in a pool with my fins, mask and snorkel, kicking out the laps..

I better wrap this up for now... I just wanted to drop in thank all of you for your sentiments.. I really look forward to diving with all of you again!

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom