Pray for SoCal - the place is burning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Jaye and I were on our way back from Paso Robles and the Harvest Festival (its a wine thing) on Sunday afternoon. Just south of Santa Barbara you could see smoke on the horizon.

By North Ventura, you could feel it in your eyes, and smell it everywhere.

By Camarillo it was a near black out. I jumped out of the truck and snapped off three quick pictures on the shoulder of the 101 South. I took these three shots at about 2:00 PM today. All of the cars had their headlights on, traffic was crawling. It was raining ash.

There are some people who will lose everything tonight and tomorrow. There will likely be some very brave people that give everything tonight and tomorrow.

Lift these people up, please.

Thanks

---
Ken

The regular scheduled programming has been interrupted frequently with updates on these fires... and the new ones that are springing up.

In the past, I'd surf channels to find anything else, or just turn the tube off. This time I'm actually listening to the broadscasts. After our near-disasterous fire last May, I have much greater empathy with those who face the same threat... even if they did build in fire prone areas.

The Ghost of Haloween 2003 Cedar Fire is upon San Diego County. Just saw a sat. view of SD county on KUSI. Right now @ 6 am the fires have crossed I-15 and with winds of 40-70 miles/hr the real danger is to the north county coastal areas. The Sat. view shows just about 1/3 of the county is on fire ...again. But this time the Santa Annas are in full gail force pushing to hurricane force in somes areas due to the localized fire storms.

Took my dog for a walk late last night down to the foot of Bermuda street to check on the surf and was really remided as to how much we are a part of nature we really are. From the coast here in Point Loma the energy of the fire is everywhere .. considering we're a good 20-30 miles from the fires. The air is thick with the smoke and soot from the Witch Creek and Harris Ranch fires. Although the Santa Anna's haven't reached the coast ...yet ...the dryness, the burning in the eyes, the dehydration of the skin are all ominous signs. A foreboding orange glow over the north to east horizon is a telling sign of just how huge these fires are. The Santa Annas have grounded all fire suppression aircraft and basically as of 6:30am all these fires are burning at the mercy of the wind direction. Currently the Del Dios (west of I-15) area has been breached and the fires are heading directly toward the Rancho Santa Fe community and on to the Del Mar -Encinitas coastal areas. One can only imagine with the force of the winds and the narrow passage of Del Dios Hwy to the coast ...well actually I can't imagine the consequences.

All I can say is that the people @ CDF, SDFD, SDPD, CHiP, Cty Sheriffs and the Linemen of SDG&E are all in our thoughts and prayers today ...

Our Family Ranch is in Little Tujunga Canyon, the sagebrush is over 15' in some spots. If it were to burn during a Santa Ana, it would burn BIG TIME. We only fear that The Wildlife Waystation is the only folks that would be rendered assistance. Prayers for all.

I'm heading over to the mainland today to see a former dive buddy before she and her family move to Oregon. These are the only days we have free. She says there is a fair bit of smoke near her home in Thousand Oaks, but no imminent threats.

Skull and MrJimboAlaska, hope your properties remain safe. Kudos to the firefighters. They sure saved the day for us here on Catalina back in May.

I was driving back from Folsom last night, coming down the 5 through Saugus, Newhall and Santa Clarita and saw the flames. Also the freeway had literally miles of fire apparatus vehicles making their way into LA. I live near the foothills in the San Gabriel Valley and the hillside has not burned in 50 years above my house. I hope they don’t get started.

Sadly many of these fires are set by arsonists. I hope they get what is coming to them.

I really feel for the families and business that are lost as a result of a fire. It is truly devastating. My prayers go out to all in the fire zones.

I heard this fire was started by a downed power line.

I'm familiar with this area. It is truly beautiful. My wife and I vacationed in the area this past July. Her brother lives in Ventura. Thoughts and prayers to those who live in the area and to the men and women working hard to save peoples homes and businesses.

I heard this fire was started by a downed power line.

I'm familiar with this area. It is truly beautiful. My wife and I vacationed in the area this past July. Her brother lives in Ventura. Thoughts and prayers to those who live in the area and to the men and women working hard to save peoples homes and businesses.

Only one of the many fires were maybe started by the downed line. The FD said yesterday they found the downed line but they are still uncertain if it was the cause or a result for the fire.

It was a really freaky sky yesterday afternoon in Oxnard. The first two photos are from behind my house while the other two were taken at the harbor in Ventura. Hopefully they can get a handle on all the fires, but the wind is still howling.

Backyard_2_.jpg
[/IMG]

Backyard_3.jpg
[/IMG]

Harbor_2.jpg
[/IMG]

Harbor.jpg
[/IMG]

250,000 people have been evacuated in SD county as of 11am..San Diego FD sayes they have move houses burning than they have firefighters ...and the Santa Ana's will not begin to subside till maybe tomorrow, relative humidity is under 10%. As of 11:30am there are over 1000 fire trucks on the way to SD County from surrounding states... Wind gust of 60-80 m/hr in the north county.

To give you an idea how fast this fire is moving ..est. are 40 miles/hr. For those familiar with SD county the fire started last night west of Santa Isabel/ east of Ramona around 11pm last night ...by 4 am it crossed I-15 aound Del Dios / Lake Hodges...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom