Pray for SoCal - the place is burning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

question, are flights at LAX being affected by the smoke? I fly thru tomarrow on the way to Oahu. Looking forward to a Tommys burger and a chat with my bro for a few hours....

question, are flights at LAX being affected by the smoke? I fly thru tomarrow on the way to Oahu. Looking forward to a Tommys burger and a chat with my bro for a few hours....

I live near LAX - no issues that I'm aware of. We're not in the fire zone, no wind, clear, sunny. I hear planes taking off and landing as normal.

Amazing. We're blessed here.

---
Ken

SD is flying. If you are planning on diving the conditions are poor. 619-221-8824 SD Lifeguards Surf and Dive report ..daily updates. Aside from the fires we have big surf right now from storms generating surf from Gulf of Alaska. Call for up to date conditions when you get here.

SD Airport is scheduled to be open tomorrow.

ps good luck finding a hotel since most are taking in displaced evacuees..some 250,000 + in SD county ..call your hotel ahead of time!!

SD is flying. If you are planning on diving the conditions are poor. 619-221-8824 SD Lifeguards Surf and Dive report ..daily updates. Aside from the fires we have big surf right now from storms generating surf from Gulf of Alaska. Call for up to date conditions when you get here.

SD Airport is scheduled to be open tomorrow.

ps good luck finding a hotel since most are taking in displaced evacuees..some 250,000 + in SD county ..call your hotel ahead of time!!

Thanks for the update. I'm not flying in, rather it's another SB member, D_B, who was here in Florida for our Dry Tortugas trip. He's concerned about getting back home. Hopefully, all will go smoothly, for him, and everyone else.

My sister lives in southern California so I am on the edge of my seat too.

Lindberg is open ...tankers/choppers are finally flying out of Ramona, NAS NI, and MCAS Miramar so as of 2:30pm they are hitting the HWY 94 Jamul/Otay Lakes fire ...looks like Chula Vista might be spared, however there are voluntary evacs for some of Chula Visa. As for the Witch Creek Fire ... they are evacuating all of Scripps Ranch down to MCAS Miramar ...doesn't look good for the home team folks !!

Fallbrook fire is out of control ...evacuating all of Fallbrook through the Naval Weapons Base and west to MCB Camp Pendleton out to San Clemente' ...I-5 is still open to OC ...jammed the entire way.

The same issue struck southern Greece (Peloponnesos) recently as well. I can therefore tell you already that it is hard to put out fires with prayers. Fire truck battalions, fire breaks, and appropriate logging beforehand seem to work much better.

A forest fire simply seems to be nature's way to recycle excess standing timber back into the CO2 in the atmosphere that it originally came from, when the seeds grew up into trees. I am sure this is what Aristotle would observe, if he were here to see it. This was the lesson learned in the Peloponnesos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom