Practicing CESA & ditch and don?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice if (i) the buddy is actually around (ii) bothers looking and (iii) is capable of dealing with it.

Again id say 100% reliance on a 3rd person for your life is foolhardy.

String:
Again id say 100% reliance on a 3rd person for your life is foolhardy.

well, you didnt' read what i wrote carefully then

primary reliance: buddy

secondary reliance: cut myself free (either entanglement cut or harness cut)

last ditch: remove equipment

why? when you are entangled, writhing around trying to take your gear off is going to make the problem worse

btw, the buddies i dive with ARE always around and pay attention. nothing like a good buddy.

Nice if you have the choice of buddys. 90% of mine i usually meet 5 minutes prior to diving (100% when abroad).

Had monofilament wrapped around pillar valve before that required a ditch/don to cut free.

(ok, keep it a secret... when i go on boat dives ,etc. without a buddy, i just don't ask for a buddy and go solo ... it's safer that way)

Crazy Fingers:
You're right. Here's an alternative: You get so tangled up in line that you're just not going anywhere and you can't cut through it without taking it off.

Let me get this straight...you're so tangled up, that you can't move, but you can take your gear off? Right...

Entanglement is always the reason given for doing a ditch and don, yet I can't think of any situation where ditching your gear would improve an entanglement situation.

H2Andy:
(ok, keep it a secret... when i go on boat dives ,etc. without a buddy, i just don't ask for a buddy and go solo ... it's safer that way)

Unfortunately ive not yet been on a dive boat thats allowed that or come across one where the check in-out procedures would allow me to get away with it.

Soggy:
Let me get this straight...you're so tangled up, that you can't move, but you can take your gear off? Right...

Entanglement is always the reason given for doing a ditch and don, yet I can't think of any situation where ditching your gear would improve an entanglement situation.

I don't have to think about it, I have been there a couple of times.
In one situation, I unbuckled and carefully moved away from the basically stationary/ entangled tank. Once facing my rig I just untangled the line from the valve, never used my knife. Then I just moved away from the mess of lines and put my rig back on.
And yeah... my buddy, he had his own minor situation to deal with. I can't remember what he was into (it was a wile back), but it wasn't an issue for him either.

If I am going to use a cutting tool, I will always prefer to look at what I am cutting in front of me.

Meng_Tze:
Can someone explain to me when ditch and don would be needed in the water? I am intrigued.

The one time you let a boat DM set your gear up he gets the tank too high and although you TRY diving it the way he set it you end up ditching the thing and adjusting the tank. You thank him not to touch your gear again after that dive :D

Ber :lilbunny:

Soggy:

The next time you're snarled in a fish net you'll experince just such a situation.

Not all skills are done as simulations of "real" situations. Some are done as part of a "kata" that ties together a set of skills for training purposes. We designed our kata so that there is often a mix of strength moves followed by fine motor skills during breath hold sequences.

I do repeated Doff and Don with a flaired buoyant ascent between the Doff and the Don (leaving tank, mask and weightbelt neatly on the bottom) many time per year (it's a regular part of our class skills and "kata"). This is done in 13 feet of water in the pool and 15 to 20 feet in the open water.

I do regular CESAs (also as part of class and "kata") from 30 and 60 feet. These CESAs are done at 60 FPM and go to the surface.

I do CESAs from deeper depths (100, 130, 150) only when preparing for set of tasks at those depths. Deeper CESAs are done at 60 FPM and stop at 10 feet.

Thalassamania:
The next time you're snarled in a fish netyou'll experince just such a situation.

If you say so....If I was tangled in fish net, the *last* thing I would do would be wiggle around getting out of my gear.

I do repeated Doff and Don with a flaired buoyant ascent between the Doff and the Don (leaving tank, mask and weightbelt neatly on the bottom) many time per year (it's a regular part of our class skills and "kata"). This is done in 13 feet of water in the pool and 15 to 20 feet in the open water.

Yeah, we did that in my OW class, too. It was fun, I guess. I'm not a big fan of the wax on wax off approach to diving, though (nor was I a fan of it in Martial Arts).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom