Practicing CESA & ditch and don?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can someone explain to me when ditch and don would be needed in the water? I am intrigued.

Meng_Tze:
Can someone explain to me when ditch and don would be needed in the water? I am intrigued.

Say you're down at depth, BC virtually empty, go completely OOA, no inflation available. Ditch the weights to make it easier to swim up, especially if you're wearing a lot of weight.

Not saying that you should be in that situation, just that it could happen.

Crazy Fingers:
Say you're down at depth, BC virtually empty, go completely OOA, no inflation available. Ditch the weights to make it easier to swim up, especially if you're wearing a lot of weight.

Not saying that you should be in that situation, just that it could happen.
Ditch weights yes, but I thought this was about taking off / putting on gear?

PS, my rig is balanced so I can swim up the entire kit at the heaviest point when ditching weight.

Meng_Tze:

If your rig gets tangled on fishing lines, fishing nets, etc.
To check your gear.
To squeeze through a narrow passage.
To trade gear with your dive buddy to try out his regulator, rig, etc.

I have done all of the above.

I can probably think of a few more if I try.

Meng_Tze:
Ditch weights yes, but I thought this was about taking off / putting on gear?

You're right. Here's an alternative: You get so tangled up in line that you're just not going anywhere and you can't cut through it without taking it off.

I actually did a ditch/donn exercise the other day because my new harness wasn't quite fitting properly ... yes I could have surfaced, worked on it and then continued the dive, but I decided to just remove my gear while we kept swimming, moved the keeper and cinched up the harness on that side, donned my gear and we kept going (actually we never really stopped)

Is this a common occurance? I doubt it, but having practiced it a LOT lately working through my IDC it was a simple procedure.

Aloha, Tim

Well, when you're spearfishing you don't really keep your buddies around.
I suppose the same could be said for solo divers. Different folks, different strokes.

you guys are braver than I am.

Crazy Fingers:
Ditch and don isn't really a big deal with a 3/2, but I worry about doing it with say a 7 mil.

That is one reason why I will always wear a weight belt. Even with my drysuit, my rig and I are are close to independently neutral. I can take my rig off and look at it in front of me. I can make adjustments if need be without being afraid of floating away from my rig.

Edit: then again when I started diving there was no BC atached to my tank...actually for a wile there was no BC at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom