Practicing CESA & ditch and don?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania:
We used to be hard core and insist on hoods and all ... but after a few folks almost passed out from head exhaustion we backed off.

It's perhaps the most difficult skill, but it's all in teaching a surface dive that gets the fins in the water, after that a dolphin kick down and the suit compression at 13 feet makes it easy enough. As a first step we teach a jacknife to a vertical hold (head down), once they get that the rest is easy. We got interested in just how much buoyancy one could "drag down." Most of the staff instructors could make it too the bottom with a fully inflated Fenzy, which I think is a bit more than 25 kilos buoyant.

That's exaclty the suit we use.

With all due respect, you do not have to perform at the level that these folks do, the system works and on sheer physicality I'd stack our weakest wegghead up against the wrastiest wrecker any day (and when it comes to level of knowledge ...), and our strongest ... well that's a whole 'nother story, he was a Division One Football player and an Olympic Trials level swimmer, he'd wax your tail and then some, wax on ... wax off Grasshopper!
A Fenzy? I retired mine over 20 years ago. It has around 50 lbs, so 24 kg would be a bit closer, but with the bottle, that is around 18 kg.

We tried that in the ocean about 3 weeks ago. My wife can do a perfect pike, and her feet never touch the water, not even close. She does not have enough body mass to overcome the buoyancy Me, I weigh enough to get there. Fresh, pool water can be your friend at times.

Puffer Fish:
We tried that in the ocean about 3 weeks ago. My wife can do a perfect pike, and her feet never touch the water, not even close. She does not have enough body mass to overcome the buoyancy Me, I weigh enough to get there. Fresh, pool water can be your friend at times.
Yeah, getting that mass up above the water is essential, a small person would just become a mast you could hang a sail on.:)

Thalassamania:
You want an opinion? OK: Technical Diving, by and large, is Russian Roulette being played by thrill seekers who, mostly, either don't know how to do it right, or can’t afford to do it right. Most (not all) Technical Diving goals can be accomplished with passing small risk, if you can afford it.
:popcorn:

Well, yes, like rock climbing, mountain climbing, car racing, motorcycle racing, horseback riding or any other pass-time that invoves risk. I wouldn't limit this statement to technical diving but I'd include recreational diving too because, the way it's often done has to be the riskiest of all diving. LOL

In sport diving, the diving itself is, to varying degrees, the goal so using 50 million dollars woth of habitats, submersibles and surface supplied equipment wouldn't be any fun at all because it isn't diving. It's being under water but it isn't diving. Diving is being in control of the planning anexecution. The other stuff is just doing what your told while you're on the end of a leash. What fun would that be?

MikeFerrara:
Well, yes, like rock climbing, mountain climbing, car racing, motorcycle racing, horseback riding or any other pass-time that invoves risk. I wouldn't limit this statement to technical diving but I'd include recreational diving too because, the way it's often done has to be the riskiest of all diving. LOL

In sport diving, the diving itself is, to varying degrees, the goal so using 50 million dollars woth of habitats, submersibles and surface supplied equipment wouldn't be any fun at all because it isn't diving. It's being under water but it isn't diving. Diving is being in control of the planning anexecution. The other stuff is just doing what your told while you're on the end of a leash. What fun would that be?
I'm not 'agin it per se, I'm just encouraging folks to understand what they're doing and why they're doing it so as to maximize their buz and minimize their real risk. I find that the biggest buz (maybe with the least risk) is to be had with some fairly arduous free diving rather than tanking up, but that's just me ... tanks are for work.:)

Let me assure you that all that stuff you consider non-diving can be fun also, but a different kind.

Thalassamania:
I'm not 'agin it per se, I'm just encouraging folks to understand what they're doing and why they're doing it so as to maximize their buz and minimize their real risk. I find that the biggest buz (maybe with the least risk) is to be had with some fairly arduous free diving rather than tanking up, but that's just me ... tanks are for work.:)

Let me assure you that all that stuff you consider non-diving can be fun also, but a different kind.

The risk is pretty straight forward. Assuming you live, you could go to 300 ft for a little while, do your couple of hours of decompression and after humping all the gear back to the car, end up in a weel chair wearing diapers for the rest of your life.

Back
Top Bottom