Practicing CESA & ditch and don?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania:
I'm not talking about DIR either, note the lower case doing it right<G>. You want to empty the China Room on the Doria? Send in a small ROV or Put a lock out sub down on her and go out saturated and on a hose, tended by another diver who also has coms at the entrance and each bend. That's what I mean by doing it right, applying the correct technology and procedures to the task at hand.

It seems to me that your focus is much more on the professional/ scientific diver. I understand what you are saying, and in that context, I agree with you. However, the vast majority of us don't fit in that role, and don't have any desire to. So let me ask you, what is wrong with me visiting the china room on the Doria on my lowly OC doubles, utilizing scooters and mixed gas just for the hell of it? Just because for *me* it's fun and how I choose to spend my excess income? You seem to imply that we should all look at pretty fishes in 20' of water unless we are SCIENTISTS. Frankly, I find your attitude condescending at best, and I fail to understand why you post on a board about SCUBA as a recreational activity, when you clearly don't see it as one.

chickdiver:
]and I fail to understand why you post on a board about SCUBA as a recreational activity, when you clearly don't see it as one.
maybe it makes him feel impotent.

Thalassamania:
I'm not talking about DIR either, note the lower case doing it right<G>. You want to empty the China Room on the Doria? Send in a small ROV or Put a lock out sub down on her and go out saturated and on a hose, tended by another diver who also has coms at the entrance and each bend. That's what I mean by doing it right, applying the correct technology and procedures to the task at hand.

That depends on what the goal is. You see the goal as getting the china. While that may be the end result, people that care about that type of thing generally do it for the challenge. It's about the process and experience of being there more than anything. You don't get that experience from an ROV. While I might be tempted by a piece of Doria China if I had an interest in doing sub 200' dives, generally, I have little interest in getting stuff (other than the occasional lobster dinner) off the bottom of the ocean (though I do enjoy the process of helping buddies recover cool stuff). I much prefer to just experience the beauty of the surroundings and enjoy a good playground. If that beautiful wreck is 180' below the surface, then I will do all that I can to mitigate that risk in order to see it including bringing smart, capable buddies, redundant gear, and a good plan down with me. Hardly Russian Roulette, though I do see a goodly number of divers playing that game at both the recreational and the technical level quite often. What I read on this board often scares me.

I don't like thrills very much. Without the risk, I'd still do it (and probably enjoy it more).

Soggy:
That depends on what the goal is. You see the goal as getting the china. While that may be the end result, people that care about that type of thing generally do it for the challenge. It's about the process and experience of being there more than anything. You don't get that experience from an ROV. While I might be tempted by a piece of Doria China if I had an interest in doing sub 200' dives, generally, I have little interest in getting stuff (other than the occasional lobster dinner) off the bottom of the ocean (though I do enjoy the process of helping buddies recover cool stuff). I much prefer to just experience the beauty of the surroundings and enjoy a good playground. If that beautiful wreck is 180' below the surface, then I will do all that I can to mitigate that risk in order to see it including bringing smart, capable buddies, redundant gear, and a good plan down with me. Hardly Russian Roulette, though I do see a goodly number of divers playing that game at both the recreational and the technical level quite often. What I read on this board often scares me.

I don't like thrills very much. Without the risk, I'd still do it (and probably enjoy it more).

Soggy: Very good post. I want to dive in Truk and Bimini and hope to have the best divers and the best gear for the task. I like boat diving off the Channel Islands and, sometimes, a deep dive off Farnsworth banks makes a lot of sense. Most of the time I am lolling around at 100 fsw- just enjoying the quiet ocean.

Thalassamania:
You want to empty the China Room on the Doria? Send in a small ROV or Put a lock out sub down on her and go out saturated and on a hose, tended by another diver who also has coms at the entrance and each bend. That's what I mean by doing it right, applying the correct technology and procedures to the task at hand.

why ever go diving?

i should pay professional divers to efficiently go dive and bring me back professional quality pictures ...

that would be the most efficient way ... but is it the most fun for me?

on the other hand, if you are saying that open circuit systems with no underwater habitat and little to no surface support may not be the most efficient way to do some types of diving, well, yeah... absolutely

nevertheless, it's the only real choice most divers have

Thalassamania:
Why is that? What's the problem with rolling into a belt that gets you back to neutral? BTW: Your buddy is always right there.

Right. I wanted the guy with air around, before I pin myself to the bottom. Neutral for me in 3mm wet is about 6-8#. Sounds good, otherwise.

sambolino44:
"When the number of posts exceed the number of dives by a factor of 10, it's time to go diving."

How about a factor of two? I swear, I have been trying to go diving as much as I can, but with work, few buddies, family commitments, getting a cold, sub-zero temps, etc. it's not that easy just to get in the water. Oh, poor me! Waaaah!

Man, no kidding. I've been in the pool a little, but I'm ready for some real diving in Warm, clear, salt water.
Oh Yeah! 2 months, 2 weeks to Coz! Allright!:D

chickdiver:
It seems to me that your focus is much more on the professional/ scientific diver. I understand what you are saying, and in that context, I agree with you.
Great, I think I understand what you’re saying and in that context, I also agree with you.
chickdiver:
However, the vast majority of us don't fit in that role, and don't have any desire to. So let me ask you, what is wrong with me visiting the china room on the Doria on my lowly OC doubles, utilizing scooters and mixed gas just for the hell of it? Just because for *me* it's fun and how I choose to spend my excess income?
Then have fun, I'm not against that, but drop the pretense and understand what it is you're doing and why you're doing it. There's nothing wrong with visiting the china room, there's nothing wrong with scooters, but the objective is not the stated goal, the objective is the rush. Yes? That's not a bad thing, but it is a good thing for one to understand before a lack of such knowledge leads one to hurt themself.
chickdiver:
You seem to imply that we should all look at pretty fishes in 20' of water unless we are SCIENTISTS. Frankly, I find your attitude condescending at best, and I fail to understand why you post on a board about SCUBA as a recreational activity, when you clearly don't see it as one.
I’m not saying that at all, and please let me assure you the condescension is in the beholder, if you want to see it, then it is there, that’s human nature. But you’re right that my perspective is that of the scientific diving community, just as we have folks here who are commercial divers, public safety divers and so on. The scientific diving community gave birth to the recreational diving community and given that role and history we still have a right to be interested and to comment.

caseybird:
Right. I wanted the guy with air around, before I pin myself to the bottom. Neutral for me in 3mm wet is about 6-8#. Sounds good, otherwise.
Sorry about the confusion, the approx 20+ lb belt goes with the 7mm suit.:blinking:

Thalassamania:
I’m not saying that at all, and please let me assure you the condescension is in the beholder, if you want to see it, then it is there, that’s human nature. ..
I am done here with this guy. I mean, really sad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom