PowerMax Generator----Ever used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One option you may want to look into is to see if there's an option to convert your compressor over to a gas motor. Then you're down to a single piece of gear, and not fighting the battle over matching the electrical capacity to the load.

I've seen many hondas come and go but my generac is still pumping out like a no other..

The level of loudness coming from a generator has absolutely nothing to do with how well it is designed ... concerning output power ... it just has to do with user friendliness.

The Honda is designed to be quiet. There's no reason all generators shouldn't be quiet.

Terry

Yes there is Terry, cost. A quiet generator is significantly more expensive to build and maintain.

BTW, My Honda EX5500 (Water Cooled) generator first fired up in 1987. With nothing more than routine service it still works even after being bolted in the back of my truck for several hundred trips on the dirt roads in Mexico.

Dave ... my Generac was bolted to back of my Chevy 1 ton service body/tail stake body service truck ... back when I actually 'worked in the field" I never had a problem with it. It still sits by the side of my house in case of an earth quake etc .. fired it up last month .. loud and running stong ...

I only stalled it once and that was because I had an electric jackhammer freeze up on me ... again I breached the output KW ...

Here the generator project we are curently working on .. my company that is.

Mather's Ca. VA Hospital outside of Sacramento ...

Adding a 1.5 Mega Watt 480V ...1,500,000W 480V generator paralleled into an existing bank of 3-750,000W 480V generators at the hospital. We are also installing new syncronizing /parralleling switchgear to provide load sharing and load sheading capabilities to the existing genset bank.

The new genset is diesel fired and will provide ~ 2000A @ 480V to the emergency power system of the hospital in addition to the 3000A 480V availble now.

BTW this guy no matter how big the muffler is really unbarible to stand next to while in operation ... without ear protection ...

Dave ... my Generac was bolted to back of my Chevy 1 ton service body/tail stake body service truck ... back when I actually 'worked in the field" I never had a problem with it. It still sits by the side of my house in case of an earth quake etc .. fired it up last month .. loud and running stong ...

I only stalled it once and that was because I had an electric jackhammer freeze up on me ... again I breached the output KW ...

Generac makes a good generator, but then again, so does Honda. Mine just makes less noise.
When we get power outages (big winds), I fire mine up and (after flipping off the main) I just back feed my house through my welder plug. I had it running for continuesouly for 4 days and the neighbor was pissed, not because he heard the generator but because he thought Edison fixed me first.:wink:

Generac makes a good generator, but then again, so does Honda. Mine just makes less noise.
When we get power outages (big winds), I fire mine up and (after flipping off the main) I just back feed my house through my welder plug. I had it running for continuesouly for 4 days and the neighbor was pissed, not because he heard the generator but because he thought Edison fixed me first.:wink:

Hey good job but please remember to shut off your main breaker ( as you previously mentioned)... if you forget you are pushing 240V back through your meter up the service drop over to a transformer that transforms your 240V back to 12,000V ... not good for linemen working on the system and certainly not good for anyone next to a downed line. Just a reminder my brother.

Hondas are great portables , probably the best out there hands down.. they get stolen alot (have had 3 stolen in the past 5 yrs) Generacs ... ehh most punks pass them over.

Last edited:
Skull... Thanks for your expertise.

Initially, as I mentioned, I would like to use the generator to run the compressor at the remote place and can use it as a power source as well (when I don't run a compressor), so I have been looking for the larger portable generator.

BTW, how about Onan brand?

One option you may want to look into is to see if there's an option to convert your compressor over to a gas motor. Then you're down to a single piece of gear, and not fighting the battle over matching the electrical capacity to the load.

It wasn't an option because I would like to get two rabbits once. But, it looks like I had better add a gas engine on the compressor and get the small quite generator for the camping.

Hue~~~~

Skull... Thanks for your expertise.

Initially, as I mentioned, I would like to use the generator to run the compressor at the remote place and can use it as a power source as well (when I don't run a compressor), so I have been looking for the larger portable generator.

BTW, how about Onan brand?

It wasn't an option because I would like to get two rabbits once. But, it looks like I had better add a gas engine on the compressor and get the small quite generator for the camping.

Hue~~~~

Yes Onans are very good. I was looking on line and googled just a plain ol vanilla 15kW 120/240V ... they seem reasonable ..

Here's the thing ... the 10kW will probably work ... for a while . But once you start tripping the overloads (regulators) on the output of the genset they kinda become weaker each time . They tend to become more sensitive. Also compressors are a beast to turn over(start up) especially in the down stroke ready to compress cycle.

I really like the idea of a gas fired portable compressor ...course I bet it will take four guys to load into your truck. Then all you need is a little 1kW Yamaha or Honda ... I like using an inverter anymore ... just plug it into a 12V auto or marine battery. They come in various sizes ... no noise, no fuel needed ...

AIMS 1800 Watt Power Inverter 12 volt with features. FREE CABLES!

Run your truck to charge the marine grade deep cell battery .. I use mine all the time.
Just another option ...

Back to the genset was discussing this with the sales rep at Kohler yesterday ... he concurs the 15kW is better match.

Yes Onans are very good. I was looking on line and googled just a plain ol vanilla 15kW 120/240V ... they seem reasonable ..

Here's the thing ... the 10kW will probably work ... for a while . But once you start tripping the overloads (regulators) on the output of the genset they kinda become weaker each time . They tend to become more sensitive. Also compressors are a beast to turn over(start up) especially in the down stroke ready to compress cycle.

I really like the idea of a gas fired portable compressor ...course I bet it will take four guys to load into your truck. Then all you need is a little 1kW Yamaha or Honda ... I like using an inverter anymore ... just plug it into a 12V auto or marine battery. They come in various sizes ... no noise, no fuel needed ...

AIMS 1800 Watt Power Inverter 12 volt with features. FREE CABLES!

Run your truck to charge the marine grade deep cell battery .. I use mine all the time.
Just another option ...

Back to the genset was discussing this with the sales rep at Kohler yesterday ... he concurs the 15kW is better match.

Thanks, Skull..

As I understand, 15KW/220V is way big for my situation. We don't have a truck, but a Family Van (Honda Odyssey size) or compact size SUV (Honda CRV size). So, I don't think it is a feasible to load the compressor and generator together.

I think I need to change my plan to add a gasoline option to my current compressor. I have read some thread that someone did that...

Yeah. Please tell me where is the good place to get 1KW~1.5KW nice, durable, quite & portable generator.

If you don't mind, I have a question about inverter. How many hours can you use the inverter with your stock truck battery? Oh~~ Are you using an additional marine grade deep cell battery in your truck?

And, how long do you have to recharge it by running an engine?

Some question might be silly due to my lack of knowledge in this matter..

Thanks in advance,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom