PowerMax Generator----Ever used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
Have you ever used this kind of generator?

PowerMax XP10000E 10,000 Watt 16 HP OHV Gas Powered Generator With Wheel Kit And Electric Start (CARB Compliant)

I need to get the generator pretty soon to run the compressor at the remote place.

I am wondering if there is any generator experts in our board.

Nothing specific except that motors can easily use 300% or more of their Full Load Amps when starting, so you're going to need a ton of "excess" generator capacity.

This really depends on the motor & starter (some start gradually and ramp up), but you're unlikely to see this unless it was a really expensive compressor.

Terry

The compressor is a portable one (3HP, 20amp) as I know... The generator's spec says 16HP though. I am not sure if it is more than enough....

Not to get too technical but the locked rotor on a 3hp 240V 20A compressor is ~ 71 amps. A 10KW 240 V compressor has a full load current of ~ 40 amps depending on the efficiency and the power factor ... I think you will be pushing that genset to the limit on the compressor start up, especially a 10KW gasoline fired portable unit ... I would look into a 15-or preferably a 20KW 240v propane or diesel Genset. Not cheap and not easy to haul around.

The problem is that those portables don't have a soft start function for high inrush (current) loads from compressors and as compressors get older they tend to shut down in the hardest compression area of the cycle ...therefore the start current is really high which tends to shut down a generator immediately.

Rent one and test it out from your local rental yard. Only cost you say $50 ... as opposed to buying one for $500 and finding out it shuts down 75% of the time.

Also it has to do with how big (wire gauge) and length of the power cord to the compressor. Looks like a 15kW 240 Gasoline is much more effective with a peak output of 22kW ...

good luck

BTW I sell and install Kohler standby gensets (Usually alot bigger than a portable) and asked the mfg for their recommendation ... for what its worth. I've seen 50KW units drop out because of an irregular load.

Last edited:
You might want to post over at www.mytractorforum.com. They are a great bunch and can answer any of your questions.

Just one additional point. That generator in loud as all get out especially under a big load. This may not matter as you are also running a compressor but keep it in mind.

I'm a Honda Generator fan, super quiet and reliable.

Just one additional point. That generator in loud as all get out especially under a big load. This may not matter as you are also running a compressor but keep it in mind.

I'm a Honda Generator fan, super quiet and reliable.

You can build a housing to reduce the noise level if needed. I'm like you I like Honda and Kawasaki products. My generator is a Kawasaki and really is very nice but like everyone who owns one never big enough.

You can build a housing to reduce the noise level if needed. I'm like you I like Honda and Kawasaki products. My generator is a Kawasaki and really is very nice but like everyone who owns one never big enough.

I'd be careful with building a housing around an air cooled generator. It has to ventilate and allow for adequate cooling.

if you don't want to buy one new, here's one on Craigslist in Auburn for $445

PowerMax XP10000E 10,000 Watt 16 HP OHV Gas Powered Generator

check your local craigslist for other others...

Not to get too technical but the locked rotor on a 3hp 240V 20A compressor is ~ 71 amps.

I know that motor startup surges, but wouldn't that (71amps) exceed the rating of a 240v 20amp line/connection ?

Rent one and test it out from your local rental yard. Only cost you say $50 ... as opposed to buying one for $500 and finding out it shuts down 75% of the time.

good idea

I'd be careful with building a housing around an air cooled generator. It has to ventilate and allow for adequate cooling.

you also need to be able to vent gasoline fumes before starting. (the same reason that boats have blowers in the bilges... )

if you don't want to buy one new, here's one on Craigslist in Auburn for $445

PowerMax XP10000E 10,000 Watt 16 HP OHV Gas Powered Generator

check your local craigslist for other others...

I know that motor startup surges, but wouldn't that (71amps) exceed the rating of a 240v 20amp line/connection ?

good idea

you also need to be able to vent gasoline fumes before starting. (the same reason that boats have blowers in the bilges... )

No thats not entirely how it works ... an inductive load like a motor on a compressor when first started is a short circuit. Once the fields are entirely excited and the motor starts to turn the amperage drops as the reactance (resistance and inductance/capacitance) of the system increases to its rated value.( Thats why your lights dim slightly when your refrigerator comes on, short circuit amps go up voltage drops and lights dim) The time it takes for this is relatively short.

A circuit breaker is designed to withstand huge amounts of inrush current for short periods of time to allow for reactive loads like motors to come up to full load while not tripping the overload function (rated value) of the circuit breaker.

The output regulators on the generator are set such that the engine shuts down on overloads even overloads of instantaneous durations.Overloads exceeding the maximum output of the generator say peak is 12.5kW instantaneous on a 10kW genset(12.5kw/240V =~52amps well below the rated locked rotor value of 71amps on the startup of the compressor so it probably is gonna shut down the engine). If you look at the windings of a generator the actual wires making up the windings are very light gauge... cannot carry much amperage. To protect those winding in the event of a large load the output regulators are set to shut down before any damage can occur to any set of windings on the generator. So in reality the generator once it sees the maximum rating of the output regulator(~52 amps for a 10kw genset) it will stall the gasoline engine to protect the windings of the generator.

Now the circuit breaker will shut down the circuit if the load exceeds the value of the breaker deeper into the electrical cycle. Another function of the breaker is to shut down if the amperage approaches the trip setting for a prolonged period of time which would cause excessive heating of the circuit and generator.

Look at it this way the circuit breaker protects the wires from the generator to the load and the load itself. The regulators protect the windings of the generator regardless of the load connected to it. Also engineered into the circuit are the characteristics of the electrical cords attached, the length of the cords etc .. all which can assist in absorbing a short circuit further from the generator.

Trick is and this is why I didn't want to get too technical what kind of cords, how long are they, will it help absorb the inrush yet not cause too much voltage drop at the compressor end thus multipling the inrush current... voltage goes down amperage has to go up to get the proper amount of wattage at the compressor to equate to the proper amount of Hp to move the compressor pistons ...

Just get a generator that can deliver the proper max instantaneous output to supply the compressor ... 10KW probably will work but a 15KW will remove all doubt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom