PowerMax Generator----Ever used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to get too technical but the locked rotor on a 3hp 240V 20A compressor is ~ 71 amps. A 10KW 240 V compressor has a full load current of ~ 40 amps depending on the efficiency and the power factor ... I think you will be pushing that genset to the limit on the compressor start up, especially a 10KW gasoline fired portable unit ... I would look into a 15-or preferably a 20KW 240v propane or diesel Genset. Not cheap and not easy to haul around.

I might not be clear enough on my previous reply due to my lack of electrical knowledge.

I am told that Alkin is using 13 amp, so a 20 amp braker is required. It could have successfully used 220v 40amp wall outlet for the electric oven. So, if that generator really supports the following description, am I safe to use this generator?

• Output Current: 120V/240VAC & 12VDC

2 20A Fully protected 120V outlets
    1 30A 120V twist lock
    1 30A 120V/220V twist lock
    1 50A 120V/220V outlet​

You might want to post over at www.mytractorforum.com. They are a great bunch and can answer any of your questions.

Thanks. I would like to check out the review/feedback about this generator.

Just one additional point. That generator in loud as all get out especially under a big load. This may not matter as you are also running a compressor but keep it in mind.

I'm a Honda Generator fan, super quiet and reliable.

Point taken. I would like to Honda, but I can't afford it......

if you don't want to buy one new, here's one on Craigslist in Auburn for $445

PowerMax XP10000E 10,000 Watt 16 HP OHV Gas Powered Generator

check your local craigslist for other others...

You DA MAN!.... Does it look the new or used?

I know that motor startup surges, but wouldn't that (71amps) exceed the rating of a 240v 20amp line/connection ?

I thought I gave a wrong info first due to the unit error....

Small portable gasoline fired generators have an output rating of say 10,000W or 10kW @ 120/240V AC along with a 12 V output source ...Its peak instantaneous output is about 12.5kW.

12500W/240V = 52.08A ... that is the amperage draw which will shut down the engine ...I'm not talking about tripping the circuit breaker. But the engine itself is shut off to protect the generator windings.

The locked rotor amperage of a 3 Hp 240V electric motor (like the one on the compressor) is ~ 71 Amps The locked rotor amperage is a very close approximation of how many amps are neeed to to push the electric motor coupled to the compressor from a standing still position to a moving position. Does this happen everytime -no cause sometimes the motor / compressor stops in a non compressive cycle of the compressors motion. However it is a very close approximation of what amperage must be available when it does start in the most difficult part of the compression cycle.

By design the 10kW generator will work occasionally but there is a very good chance that the moment you plug the compressor in and start it up the generator engine is going to shut down because you have exceeded its max. output in amperage by 19+ amps.

The circuit breakers on the console are designed primarily to protect the circuit connected to the receptacle and the actual load connected to the circuit. They have a different function than the output regulator. The instantaneous trip setting of a circuit breaker is much more liberal than the output regulator in that they will allow a large rush of amperage to flow through it because its primary purpose is to trip later into a electrical cycle to allow for motors to get up to speed. Otherwise your circuit breaker on your house would trip everytime your refrig. started.

Finally the 3 Hp compressor at some point will need ... 71A x 240V = 17040W ... a 15kW 120/240V generator can deliver 18.5kW instantaneously ... this is a better match.

Hey look at it this way ... purchase a super quiet Honda or Kawa generator that is under powered for your application and when the generator is overloaded you won't hear it shut down .... problem solved -eh?

Hey look at it this way ... purchase a super quiet Honda or Kawa generator that is under powered for your application and when the generator is overloaded you won't hear it shut down .... problem solved -eh?

Noise isn't an indication of power or efficiency, it's in indication of poor engineering.

A good 60KW generator won't make a lot more noise than my Honda.

Terry

A final point a 40A 240 wall outlet for an electric stove is not the same as a 20A electric motor. Stoves are what we call non-inductive loads while motors are called inductive loads. Inductive loads have large inrush currents(amperage) to get them from a static position to a moving position. Non-inductive loads don't have large inrush currents. Furthermore your house is plugged into a grid which can withstand enormous amounts of inductive loads ... small portable generators do not function like your house electrical system. They are extremely limited in their ability to handle large instantaneous surges in current ...

Noise isn't an indication of power or efficiency, it's in indication of poor engineering.

A good 60KW generator won't make a lot more noise than my Honda.

Terry

Huh ? You are mixing apples and oranges my friend. A good whisper quiet diesel fired skid or trailered genset is in no way comparable to your 5kW Honda ... You're kidding right?

Your Honda is a toy compared to a Kohler, Onan or Cat 60kW skid/trailered genset.

The honda is designed to fire up a 1 Hp nail gun compressor, or several fractional Hp hand tools like skill saws, chop saws and grinders ... or maybe an occasional small refrigerator at a camp site.

Also a good generac that is noisy is still a very robust genset. I have a 6500 generac that is loud as hell ...been using it since 1998 and it still fires up and runs like a monster ... I've seen many hondas come and go but my generac is still pumping out like a no other..

The level of loudness coming from a generator has absolutely nothing to do with how well it is designed ... concerning output power ... it just has to do with user friendliness.

Your Honda is a toy compared to a Kohler, Onan or Cat 60kW skid/trailered genset.

The honda is designed to fire up a 1 Hp nail gun compressor, or several fractional Hp hand tools like skill saws, chop saws and grinders ... or maybe an occasional small refrigerator at a camp site.

The Honda is designed to be quiet. There's no reason all generators shouldn't be quiet.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom