Bauer Junior II off of 2x Honda EU2200i?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What model do you have?
That is on our personal boat. The charter boat just has a small 200watt that runs the television.

That's pretty cool. I have not seen this style where is combines AC power together.

Usually you have to convert it back to battery power voltage with a charger.
To much converting back and forth going on. It's kinda a grid tie inverter

Would work great in my mobile trailer to bump the power to run a small welder in the field. Right now my generator or inverter is not big enough to really weld with... (not that I do alot of welding on the road)

The problem is: I don't have a ~5kW genset. What I do have is a EU2200i generator, which is 2.2kW.
I could get a 2nd compressor and run them in parallel mode for a total of 4.4kW.
Common gasoline generators are not designed to run in parallel. Its lacks synchronisation circuitry.
Think of run compressor via VFD, but you need generator at least rated same power as compressor motor.
VFD allows safe (slow) start and protects generator from overload.

Common gasoline generators are not designed to run in parallel. Its lacks synchronisation circuitry.
Think of run compressor via VFD, but you need generator at least rated same power as compressor motor.
MANY small generators have a parallel kit. Honda Parallel Cable

In this case it won't be adequate and the 6hp petrol engine is the way to go.

Based on the motor specs Bauer they gave me, the 2.2kW generator should be fine after the 14s locked rotor time and 122A LR current draw.

My DC-DC charger supports up to about 150A, so I'd just run the generator into my shore power plug and run the compressor off the monster inverter.

The cheapest inverters I can see on amazon with >14k peak power are in the $800 range, which isn't too bad. And maybe I could use it for an air conditioner, as someone suggested.

1720554751720.png

Most if not all small inverter style generators are pure sign wave and designed for parallel operation. Even the chinese honda knockoffs have the same capability.

MANY small generators have a parallel kit. Honda Parallel Cable
I never really understood the allure of this "feature". You now have doubled your generator maintenance. Probably not that bad with the Hondas, but those Chinese predator engines in the clones are horrible. I definitely wouldn't want to try to maintain two generators stored on a boat. Plus, you've now spent 2x the money, and still don't have 220.

I never really understood the allure of this "feature". You now have doubled your generator maintenance. Probably not that bad with the Hondas, but those Chinese predator engines in the clones are horrible. I definitely wouldn't want to try to maintain two generators stored on a boat. Plus, you've now spent 2x the money, and still don't have 220.
I dont have one either but if you can't lift a bigger unit then 2x 2200W is workable. an oil change, spark plug and scrub the muffler screen 1x a year isnt exactly a maintenance nightmare compared to most dive gear

Coworkers wife does horse show things. Pulls the big fifth wheel horse trailer and goes to shows all over the country. She can't lift a Honda 3kw out of the bed of the truck and plug in the trailer. She can lift a 2kw. She gets two of them out, plugs them together and runs everything.

I have two of them as well. I use one all the time, my primary one that stays in the van and runs the boat in remote locations has 1000s of hours on it. The other one gets used occasionally when I need more than 1800watts. No reason to burn the fuel running a larger machine for weeks on end when a small one does the job beautifully.

Coworkers wife does horse show things. Pulls the big fifth wheel horse trailer and goes to shows all over the country. She can't lift a Honda 3kw out of the bed of the truck and plug in the trailer. She can lift a 2kw. She gets two of them out, plugs them together and runs everything.

I have two of them as well. I use one all the time, my primary one that stays in the van and runs the boat in remote locations has 1000s of hours on it. The other one gets used occasionally when I need more than 1800watts. No reason to burn the fuel running a larger machine for weeks on end when a small one does the job beautifully.
Guess I'm an odd ball. Either I need 2kw for small stuff or I need 220.

If I was hauling around a 5th wheel trailer, I would definitely try to figure out a more practical generator solution :)

Back
Top Bottom