Power inflator octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice to see the mix of opinions. I was fairly set on getting an AIR2 when I posted this thread, now I'm thinking I may just need to tweak how I clip/fasten my octo. For the diving that I do (mostly recreational and scientific), either way I go will suffice. Thanks to all who commented.

Hi Chad! Have you been out in the Gulf lately?

Cheers!

I got a question…Has anyone ever breathed off of an AIR2 while the rectangular button was depressed? I have on ascent to trim my BC, and it works rather well. You actually breathe the air that’s in your BC’s bladder, and it trims your buoyancy on exhale (just like a dump valve). You have to remember to let the rectangular button go before exhaling so the air exhausts out the exhaust valve on the AIR2, but it works.

In colder water I do prefer my standard octopus on a 43” hose.

Or you can go to some kind of hybrid setup like the one below; AIR2, standard octopus, and a primary. Three is better than two right…no shortage of ports here, and no extra hoses…LOL

Poseidon8118:
Has anyone ever breathed off of an AIR2 while the rectangular button was depressed? I have on accent to trim my BC, and it works rather well. You actually breathe the air that’s in your BC’s bladder, and it trims your buoyancy on exhale (just like a dump valve).

You mean the exhaust from your bladder? Not something I would do... It's not like the air in your BC is very clear, i.e. mold and such.

I am an avid Atomic SS1 fan. It works for me because it is conveniently located, streamlined, breathes well and minimizes dangling octo syndrome damage. I have tried the ascent technique described by Poseidon8118 and it works reasonably well.

fishb0y:
You mean the exhaust from your bladder? Not something I would do... It's not like the air in your BC is very clear, i.e. mold and such.

Yes, I don't recommend it to anyone. I've done it in shallow water above 40 feet. I help with large open water classes, so 5 or 6 hours in a heavily chlorinated pool kills any molds or pathogens inside the bladder. I also dive in my own pool 5 or 10 times a year playing underwater tag with my son, or just tossing the torpedo around. Mold for me is not a problem. Just thought I’d ask if anyone else has tried “bladder breathing” with an AIR2 on ascents.

I have the Alternate Airsource for my seaquest balance and it works great as well. So long as it provides air for you or your body in case of emergeny is all that matters.

One question I have about the integrated inflator/octo, that I haven't resolved. What happens if you have a stuck inflator and have to disconnect it? Doesn't that also disconnect the octo? I realize that the likelihood of having to disconnect the inflator and subsequently have a need to share air is probably fairly slim, but it does seem worthy of brief consideration.

Mike Nelson:
One question I have about the integrated inflator/octo, that I haven't resolved. What happens if you have a stuck inflator and have to disconnect it? Doesn't that also disconnect the octo? I realize that the likelihood of having to disconnect the inflator and subsequently have a need to share air is probably fairly slim, but it does seem worthy of brief consideration.

Yes, you would disconnect the octo as well, and visa versa. This is only for the AIR2 types.

Some octo/inflators such as the Sherwood Shadow +, and Genesis Sidekick you can disconnect the inflator and still breathe from the regulator part.

Great discussion -

While I am not a fan of the inflator/octo, the quality of information and the views presented from both sides are real issues.

I would be happy if everyone has at least one or the other.

One other point to consider:

If you are using an inflator/octo, and you go throught your dive check with your buddy, if he/she has an OOA event, they go right to your regulator. They will tend to do that anyway, but now both of you really, really want that to happen, and that is not always a good thing. If you have had a few of those events, a nice, easy to get, bright colored octo is a good thing.

If any of you have some spare time in a pool, you can actually breath through your BC. just using the standard mouthpiece. It is one difficult skill to learn, but possible. Just make sure your first attempt is in less than a foot of water. I would hope that skill would never, ever have to be used, but it is nice to know one can. You can even do it through the manual inflator. (obviously make sure everything is clean and all the living bugs are dead)

Back
Top Bottom