Power inflator octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
Well....I'm not saying they're not fit for use. They work as advertised..... but I've tried a lot of different configurations over the years and I've just found that there are better ways to skin this cat.

I respect your opinion but to my way of thinking it's out of context in this day and age. 15 or 20 years ago these things offered a solution to a real problem. Today they're a solution to a problem that no longer exists. And I don't belive in solving problems that don't exist, especially when there are better options around to address the core issue.

That's not to say that using one is necessarily irresponsible or whatever.... just not optimal.

R..
Just your opinion R. This day and age? Profound statement.
What is the problem that doesn't exist that you think "Air2" is solving? More of your non-opinion with lots of words.
Core issue? Are you going to address this? Or does it just sound good? Like the true saying goes, "there is more than one way to skin a cat."
But I did give up on my snorkel my last 7 ocean dives. :D

Diver0001:
That's not to say that using one is necessarily irresponsible or whatever.... just not optimal.

R..

What's optimal to you? And are you talking recreational diving or technical?

Diver0001:
Well....I'm not saying they're not fit for use. They work as advertised..... but I've tried a lot of different configurations over the years and I've just found that there are better ways to skin this cat.

I respect your opinion but to my way of thinking it's out of context in this day and age. 15 or 20 years ago these things offered a solution to a real problem. Today they're a solution to a problem that no longer exists. And I don't belive in solving problems that don't exist, especially when there are better options around to address the core issue.

R..

Their sole purpose was not to reduce port usage. It is also to streamline gear. I have plenty of ports on my regulator but enjoy not having another long hose hanging to catch on things or tangle with my other gear.

Incidentally, a setup with an integrated octo and power inflator is so outdated that it is strikingly similiar to a setup that is growing more and more in popularity. That is the DIR setup where you hand off your primary in an OOA situation and then you start breathing off your alternate, which is hanging off a much shorter hose. And before anybody snaps a gasket, I'm not saying these are the same setup or can be used the same, only noting similarities.

It comes down to what works best for each diver, neither is better for the whole group. What works best for you and makes you most comfortable UW is what is the best setup.

And I suppose those plastic combo's have cold water abilities also? Not...

Sorry guys, I agree with the Dutch here. There's no problem to solve. Therefore you don't need it. It makes your inflator bulky as any end of a cow. I agree with the idea of handing over your primary. But then there are much better solutions to where to put your back up, like in a band around your neck. Then you can have bouyancy control too, when you have donated your main 2. stage. Just great!

My 3 mil wet suit and dive skin aren't good for cold water either, so I don't use them in cold water. Oh and I have two other dump valves I generally use when ascending, and they're not on my cow's butt.

I use a Sherwood Shadow+, similar to an Air2 though you can readily disconnect it from the inflator. (In a real OOA, buddy gets your primary, you use the Shadow+, but can then disconnect the Shadow + from the big dump hose, making it simpler to do your dump on ascent).
It works quite well, no problems. The only down side, for me, is I've chosen to pursue DM, so it's really nice to have a normal octo on a long hose.
(If I stopped at Rescue, just interested in purely personal diving, I'd absolutely stay with the Shadow+. Diving with a regular buddy, similar experience, the Shadow+ is super. It really does remove that one extra hose, and since I also have a pony there's plenty of hoses :) )

dlndavid:
My 3 mil wet suit and dive skin aren't good for cold water either, so I don't use them in cold water. Oh and I have two other dump valves I generally use when ascending, and they're not on my cow's butt.

LOL :D Well you warm water luxury diver, may your back up / inflator serve you well, what ever you use it for! I'm sure you will have no problems!

-I just made a note on that these "things" have nothing to do in cold waters. Now for me, that means 90% of my dives.

KOMPRESSOR:
And I suppose those plastic combo's have cold water abilities also? Not...

Sorry guys, I agree with the Dutch here. There's no problem to solve. Therefore you don't need it. It makes your inflator bulky as any end of a cow. I agree with the idea of handing over your primary. But then there are much better solutions to where to put your back up, like in a band around your neck. Then you can have bouyancy control too, when you have donated your main 2. stage. Just great!

The guy asks about combos and he gets a debate instead... We're a lively bunch :05:

The solution is what works best for you.

Several years ago, when I did rescue dive training, after handing off a safe 2nd reg, we didn't worry about buoyancy control. You grabbed your buddy with the OOA situation and started your controlled ascent.

Wow, how times have changed.

Oceandvr:
I may have missed this information in a previous post (I didn't see anything when I searched the forum). Have any of you switched from a regular octo to a combination power inflator octo, like the Genesis Side-kick? I like the idea of streamlining and would like to hear your experiences. Thanks.

I have the Genesis Side Kick and it does the job. Its not the best breathing reg I have seen but in an emergency it works. I did an ascent using the reg to try it out and the biggest issue I had was needing to pull the reg out of my mouth to bleed out the BC on the way up. Also, its an inline and can get in the way of using your stock power inflator.

In hindsite, I wish I went with either the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] Aeris Air Link or the [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Tusa Duo Air[/SIZE][/FONT]
It makes more sense to have it all combined as a single unit although it does creat a single point of failure.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/FONT]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom