Power inflator Hose

Do you put your power inflator hose inside Velcro

• Yes

Votes: 83 76.1%
  • No

Votes: 26 23.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many BCDs have a cable inside the low pressure inflator hose that allows you to dump air without having to lift the hose. Instead you simply pull downward on the hose and the cable opens the valve at the top of the shoulder. Thus you can keep it velcro’d and still dump.

H2Andy:
inflator octo: well... in an out of air situation, it's going to be difficult to
work with that short hose, so it's not ideal. she'd probably be best served
with a regular octo.

hose inside velcro: not sure why those are there. shouldn't be used. it makes
venting air by using the hose very difficult (when you try to extend it).

i use sometimes inflator octo, i dont see the short hose argument. with this kind of setup you usually give your main away and use the inflator octo yourself. it is as accessable as your inflator for orally inflating. i would take rather the argument that it makes defating during ascent a bit more complicated (not really) or that the breathing comfort of them is usually kind of mediocre (not all).

as for the velcro - i couldnt agree more.

knotical:
Many BCDs have a cable inside the low pressure inflator hose that allows you to dump air without having to lift the hose. Instead you simply pull downward on the hose and the cable opens the valve at the top of the shoulder. Thus you can keep it velcro’d and still dump.
I never have understood that design. I can't bring myself to tug on a hose like that. The ones I've actually opened (or fixed) the line inside and it's connections just aren't that strong.

knotical:

My BCD has this but I never use it. It takes a bit of a pull to open the valve. Just 'feels wrong' to pull on the hose like that. I still raise it up, just the way I was trained in my BOW class.

FD

I don't have any problem venting my BC with the inflator in the velcro. From that picture, it appears that the velcro is high enough on the shoulder that it wouldn't be an issue.

I read the other thread (missed it the other day) and it appears to me that the guy didn't want you in attendance because he knew you'd correct his mistakes - seems pretty insecure...

As far as I'm concerned, the biggest infraction was for him to tell her to not pay any attention to you - you two are life buddies as well as future dive buddies, and that's just out & out a wrong thing to say. Heaven knows we have a hard enough time convincing our women that we're occasionally competent and correct anyway, without any help :wink:. At most he should have said 'when he tells you things, keep in mind that he's likely speaking from a tec perspective'.

scubamickey:
You should get your wife her own credit card so she can buy her own fins :)

She said what she wanted and was there when they were bought. I don't quite understand what you are implying

Hi,

Re: Inflator hose and velcro: Completely variable depending on BC configuration, how it fits you, and how you use it.

For my part, on the two BCs I own (Scubapro Knighthawk, Oceanic Islander), I usually use the velcro, though somewhat "loosely" (just overlapping nap and hooks an inch or less). This keeps the hose somewhat better trimmed and to hand when diving, and I can vent just fine when required. I also pull it out of the velcro for final ascent, as the full hose extension is helpful for getting that last bit of air out of the bladder. Note that just a loose fastening of the velcro allows the hose to be pulled free with little effort at any time, without fiddling with the velcro strap ... sorta the best of both.

There was a rental BC I once used where the velcro was quite low on the shoulder strap, and I didn't fasten it. I was not putting much air in the BC, and it didn't vent well when fastened.

Both my BCs have the "pull dump" hose feature. I have rarely used it, it is a less controlled release of air than the inflator hose. I think I can recall using it only twice, when I happened to be working on something else with my hands in a head-up position, but needed a quick buoyancy adjustment. Convenient to have it then. I generally find that using any of the dump valves (instead of hose) lets more water into the BC bladder, so tend to avoid that.

So, as with many questions, the answer is ... "it depends" ;-).

--
Re: Instructors ... Sorry to hear about such experiences. While not a scuba instructor, I have been an instructor in other things.

Being good at something and being a good teacher of that are very distinct skills, and I fear the latter is much rarer than the former.

However, your experiences definitely cross the line from lack of skill to outright incompetance and failure to meet even the basic criteria of simple civility and appropriate treatment of a paying customer.

I would be livid, and would seek satisfaction and to ensure the poor service reaped negative consquences for the instructors. I would probably invest of my time and effort to that end out of proportion to any reasonable response, that being one of my character "challenges" (don't like to see people get away with that sort of thing)!

Hope you both have a better time of things going forward,

Cheers,
Walter

I'm going to have to try dumping air by pulling the inflator hose. I learned to raise the hose to dump and just can't seem to overcome my training. It would certainly fix the velcro issue.

I dont see the big deal
personally
I see the power inflator to be one of the largest areas to have problems
so when I need to dump air, i just use the dump valve
i dont have velcro but i do have a peice of surgical tubing,
so if the velcro is so bad i must be really screwed, lol

as for the instructor
he probably has some sort of inferiority complex, and when he found out that you were a REAL diver (i mean a commercial diver not tech diver, dont start freaking out on me) he got deffensive and started acting like a (for lack of a better word) ***

I use a Scubapro Glide 2000 and I use the velcro. I have found no problem in holding up the hose to deflate. Habits die hard and I am still to use the hose pull dump feature. I have tried it on land just to experiment and find that it requires quite a hard pull to release air. Alternatively there is this little knob thing that can be pushed to release air (which anyway is what the pulling accomplishes anyway).
I will remember to try out pulling the hose on my next dive this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom