Power Inflator Blowout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

usmc4x4

Contributor
Reaction score
New to the board but I thought I would share a recent "scare" I had while in Cozumel.

While floating on the surface at the end of an absolutely amazing drift dive my wife and I were discussing the dive and patiently waiting for the dive boat to pull up. Then I heard a rush of air and lots of bubbling. Around that time I also noticed a lack of bouyancy and noticeable need to tread water to remain comfortably on the surface. I reached back to check my BC dump valve suspecting that was the culprit (not that I could have done anything about it at the time anyways). Next I check my power inflator and discovered that it had been blown from the hose leading back to my BC (I don't know the proper name for it). My simple solution was to blow into the hose and then hold the open end below the water level. At that same time the dive boat pulled up and I graciously accepted the offer to board first.

While it is drilled into your head as a diver not to freak out your never really sure how you will react and if your training would apply. In this instance I remained calmed and went into a self check mode and determined that I had sufficent bouyancy and time to assess the problem. However had I felt that I was in danger of being "pulled" under at any time I would have dropped weights in a heartbeat.

That can be pretty scary so well done for staying calm and dealing with it.

I had my LP inflator elbow dump valve fail a few months back, since then I have replaced it with a no-frills elbow (no valve) and since I stopped yanking on it to dump air there have been no problems.

Good save Usmc! Your BC or a rental. I had the screw in part of a new BC come lose once. Check it closely & often now.

Welcome to the Board. It helps when you have Profile and Dive Info complete.

DandyDon:
Good save Usmc! Your BC or a rental. I had the screw in part of a new BC come lose once. Check it closely & often now.

Welcome to the Board. It helps when you have Profile and Dive Info complete.

Thanks. It was my BC a Zeagle Brigade.. The zip tie had stretched and allowed the power inflator to come off. So I replaced it and added another.

I tried to add my Dive Info but it just keeps displaying a blank page. Not sure what's going on. But to clarify I have 175 logged dives and am a Rescue Diver.

usmc4x4:
Thanks. It was my BC a Zeagle Brigade.. The zip tie had stretched and allowed the power inflator to come off. So I replaced it and added another.

I tried to add my Dive Info but it just keeps displaying a blank page. Not sure what's going on. But to clarify I have 175 logged dives and am a Rescue Diver.
Oops, sorry - I forgot that service is not available during the upgrade process.

How about posting an Intro in that fourm..? :D

usmc4x4:

I know most/many BCD's come with one zip tie, however when I was servicing equipment for a living I always used two zip ties for this very reason.

Well done keeping your wits about you. Others would have (and have) died.

cerich:
I know most/many BCD's come with one zip tie, however when I was servicing equipment for a living I always used two zip ties for this very reason.

Well done keeping your wits about you. Others would have (and have) died.

I have doubled up on my zip ties as well. I am just glad that I carry a few in my dive bag or I would have been done for the day.

bisonduquebec:
Thanks for the post, I will check my ties as well. Great save ...

ditto...got me wondering now

My BC inflators are held on by little screw on plastic and metal clamps. Available at DiveRite Express for about $2.00 for two. Have always felt that these were more secure than zip ties, but now that I think about I don't really know if they are...

Back
Top Bottom