Power Inflator Blowout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SamMan:
...Zeagle Brigade. I have about three dives logged on it...Upon investigating this i noticed that air was free flowing into the BC ...

Does anyone know what may have caused this, or was it just a bad valve?

On the 40th dive (last weekend) in my Zeagle Ranger, which has otherwise been a joy, the inflator button stuck halfway as I was topping it off at the surface. I was able to jiggle it into proper position, which stopped the air flow. My LDS identified sand in the spring assembly and easily cleaned it out, no charge. Since I haven't dived anywhere near sand for several dives now, it was a puzzler, especially considering that I'm circumspect about cleaning everything properly after every dive. My lesson, of course, is to rinse even more thoroughly.

However, I also learned that older Zeagle inflator buttons are red, whereas newer and better ones are white. Both are factory-issue, but the white ones supposedly represent a better version.

WaterWayne:
On the 40th dive (last weekend) in my Zeagle Ranger, which has otherwise been a joy, the inflator button stuck halfway as I was topping it off at the surface. I was able to jiggle it into proper position, which stopped the air flow. My LDS identified sand in the spring assembly and easily cleaned it out, no charge. Since I haven't dived anywhere near sand for several dives now, it was a puzzler, especially considering that I'm circumspect about cleaning everything properly after every dive. My lesson, of course, is to rinse even more thoroughly.

However, I also learned that older Zeagle inflator buttons are red, whereas newer and better ones are white. Both are factory-issue, but the white ones supposedly represent a better version.

Did you rinse it in a wash tank? There is all kinds of garbage in those things and I never use them. I wash all my stuff back in the room shower.

No, but good question -- I've rinsed it several times in my own bathtub/shower since I last dove around sand (which is too long, but that's another story.) As per original instructions, I half-fill the BC using the inflator hose, tilt-and-slosh, then drain through the inflator hose. I wonder if somehow, somewhere, a hidden mini-clod of sand finally broke loose precisely at the surface in a weird coincidence. Fortunately it was at the surface...

On my dives yesterday, I noticed my inflator bubbling. Won't be long before I toss that thing in the trash and get another one.

PerroneFord:
On my dives yesterday, I noticed my inflator bubbling. Won't be long before I toss that thing in the trash and get another one.
Ah ... let me guess. Stainless steel inflator on a Halcyon Eclipse ???

Those things proved to be a huge disappointment. I've replaced mine with standard plastic ones that don't self-inflate ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

WaterWayne:
How many dives have you put on your present inflator? What kind? And how much of the inflator will you replace?

How many dives? Uhh, 10-15
What kind? Halcyon
How much will I replace? Whole thing.

NWGratefulDiver:
Ah ... let me guess. Stainless steel inflator on a Halcyon Eclipse ???

Those things proved to be a huge disappointment. I've replaced mine with standard plastic ones that don't self-inflate ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Close.. Pioneer. Mine hasn't tried to self inflate. Not going to wait for it to happen. Like GI3 said, "if things don't work, I don't bother trying to fix them. Toss it in the trash and buy something that does work."

FFMDiver:
I would think SS hose clamps would be a better choice.
when I was in DIRF training, they scolded me for using zip ties on my SPG.
they called the ties "breakaway tabs" and suggested cave line.

I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing a bare metal hose clamp would be a bad idea. It has sharp edges that might cut into the rubber hose and cause it to develop holes or even tear off. They are used in cars, but I'm pretty sure cars have much thicker rubber hoses than a BC inflator hose, and they are not subject to strain. What might be possible is to create a small sheath for the clamp using tubular webbing, but that might not securely grip the hose.

Wire ties are bad for attaching bolt snaps because if you twist the base of the bolt snap you can create enough stress in the tie to break it. That's not a problem on an inflator hose since you can't torque anything under the tie. Same for regulator mouthpieces.

As someone else said, Dive Rite makes what is essentially a plastic version of a hose clamp for their inflator hoses. They seem to work well, but I cover mine in inner tubing to keep them from getting snagged, they seem like a minor entanglement hazard because of the screw sticking out.

Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom