Power Inflator Blowout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just added another zip tie to my inflator on my Brigade also. Can't hurt, Thanks.

Has anyone ever tried to break a zip tie? The regular cable ties are tough. I guess the teeth could give way, and there may be inferior ones around.

I think the importat lesson is to learn from the example given. Things go to caca wjem diving, and the surface is the most dangerous area. Keep the reg in your mouth with 500 psi reserve to use if needed, and work thru the problems.

usmc4x4 did great, but then, he also trained at PI or SD MCRD. :D

Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas.

Excuse my ignorance but where are the zip ties going on the inflator???

Sasquatch:
Oh yeah, huh? I dive a Oceanic Probe so didn't even think of checking mine. Just looked. What zip ties...?

DandyDon:
Has anyone ever tried to break a zip tie? The regular cable ties are tough. I guess the teeth could give way, and there may be inferior ones around.

I think the importat lesson is to learn from the example given. Things go to caca wjem diving, and the surface is the most dangerous area. Keep the reg in your mouth with 500 psi reserve to use if needed, and work thru the problems.

usmc4x4 did great, but then, he also trained at PI or SD MCRD. :D

Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas.

I can't be sure but the tie appeared to be stretched rather than broken or teeth pulled out.

Sasquatch:

I admitted it may be an ignorant question but...OH! Jeez, there IS a small zip tie laced through my inflator hose after all. I almost didn't see it there. Damn close vision!:shakehead

I'll add that to my pre-dive visual equipment check. I wouldn't like the same experience usmc4x4 had.

Sea ya!

Hey there, i am new to diving and loved it so much i bought the equipment. I too have a Zeagle Brigade. I have about three dives logged on it. On my fourth dive I noticed that after i hooked up my tank and did a pre dive inspection, i heard air flow, but it didnt sound like a leak. Upon investigating this i noticed that air was free flowing into the BC and after about 3 mins or so the BC was full and dumping air out the over expansion valves. As far as i could tell there was nothing i could do to fix it short of holding down the air release to keep the BC empty. Needless to say i didnt dive. I went to Scuba Toys and they replaced the power inflator with a new one in a couple of mins.

I am very happy with the Brigade AND with Scuba Toys, they took care of the problem immediately. I am very happy i purchased all my equipment from them.

Does anyone know what may have caused this, or was it just a bad valve?

Best regards,
Shawn

SamMan:
Hey there, i am new to diving and loved it so much i bought the equipment. I too have a Zeagle Brigade. I have about three dives logged on it. On my fourth dive I noticed that after i hooked up my tank and did a pre dive inspection, i heard air flow, but it didnt sound like a leak. Upon investigating this i noticed that air was free flowing into the BC and after about 3 mins or so the BC was full and dumping air out the over expansion valves. As far as i could tell there was nothing i could do to fix it short of holding down the air release to keep the BC empty. Needless to say i didnt dive. I went to Scuba Toys and they replaced the power inflator with a new one in a couple of mins.

I am very happy with the Brigade AND with Scuba Toys, they took care of the problem immediately. I am very happy i purchased all my equipment from them.

Does anyone know what may have caused this, or was it just a bad valve?

Best regards,
Shawn

Sounds like a bad inflator...glad you got it fixed.

I would think SS hose clamps would be a better choice.
when I was in DIRF training, they scolded me for using zip ties on my SPG.
they called the ties "breakaway tabs" and suggested cave line.

I had this happen to me on a wreck in Truk lagoon; at the end of a dive my corrugated hose (with 2 zipties) popped off and I lost the air in my wing. Normally I'd be about neutral at a safety stop, but I was diving a steel plate and a steel 112, making me around 10 pounds negative without my wing partially inflated. Luckily I was close enough to swim it up and grab the boat ladder, but it can be a harrowing experience. It is for this very reason that I bring my closed-circuit sausage on dives...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom