Post Your Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't know that soaking teeth in baby oil made them shine. I had always wondered how teeth I bought looked polished, but the teeth I found looked kinda dull. Does it affect the color of the tooth at all?

Initially I was using dental picks to get rid of the crud and then just setting them up - then I discovered the vinegar and water method - the teeth got a lot cleaner - then it was recommended to me to use olive oil or baby oil to get the shine back and I find it really helps - sometimes if a tooth is in the vinegar/water for a long time because of the crust, it really dulls the tooth. The oil helps quite a lot - I find that sometimes I have to leave it in for a day or so to really have a good effect. It doesn't affect the color - it actually seems to restore the color that you saw when you first got it.

All the little tricks people have told me about - Always learning :)

I didn't know that soaking teeth in baby oil made them shine. I had always wondered how teeth I bought looked polished, but the teeth I found looked kinda dull. Does it affect the color of the tooth at all?
You bought teeth? :confused:

Yeah, I don't get to go diving very often so I have to get teeth somehow! I actually used to buy them before I ever dove for teeth. I have meg teeth from all over the world and some very rare localities that you cannot obtain teeth from anymore. I do prefer finding them over buying them, which is why I no longer buy them- I am saving up to go diving.

My little cheek tooth was a little hazy and such after several hours in the vingar bath - about 7 hours in the baby oil has brought it back to a lovely shine and completely solved the haze issue. It's gorgeous now :)

Works like a charm..... :D

Initially I was using dental picks to get rid of the crud and then just setting them up - then I discovered the vinegar and water method - the teeth got a lot cleaner - then it was recommended to me to use olive oil or baby oil to get the shine back and I find it really helps - sometimes if a tooth is in the vinegar/water for a long time because of the crust, it really dulls the tooth. The oil helps quite a lot - I find that sometimes I have to leave it in for a day or so to really have a good effect. It doesn't affect the color - it actually seems to restore the color that you saw when you first got it.

All the little tricks people have told me about - Always learning :)

I have not seen the olive oil or baby oil suggestion yet but it sounds interesting. The vinegar suggestion has been a life saver. I have yet to put anything on my fossils once they are cleaned but am considering it. So what do most of you guys do? Do I oil them or maybe do as fossilbabe suggested in her thread and use the Elmer's glue and water method. I'm guessing that once I do anything it's prettty much a done deal. Does anyone use any other method? Should I just leave them as is? I really have no clue. Thanks for any input.

Elmers glue and water is for the more for mammal fossils. I dont suggest using it for shark teeth. I guess I better go back and read what I wrote on that. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I keep most of mine natural. I have never altered them in any way, but the baby oil- olive oil suggestion would be reversible. If you soaked them in water for a while it would soak the oil back out. Soaking teeth in oil would not damage them, but it would just make them look nicer. I'm going to try it on one of the teeth i've found and i'll post pictures of the before and after.

I'm working on uploading the images. I haven't done it before on scubaboard so i'm trying to figure it out.

IMG_26953.JPG
[/IMG] Teeth soaking in olive oil

IMG_26771.JPG
[/IMG] The 2 teeth I selected to use

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom