Post your Memorial Day Weekend Dive Plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philmottrek99and02

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Aside from the basic life sustainment functions of eat, drink and sleep, I submit the following:

Friday - 2 or 3 dives off Venice Beach followed by trip to Epcot
Saturday - snorkle with manatees then up to Troy or Manatee Springs for a couple of dives
Sunday - dive Morrison (conditions dependent) then drive to Gulf Shores for Whiskey wreck dive Last dive of the day un-planned
Monday - Diving the O with MBT.

Howard

I screwed up my ear last weekend so I'm probably out for any diving. I don't know what I'll do!

Morrison will definately be divable this weekend. Its the Gulf that you'll have to worry about, shore and offshore conditions look like crap at the moment. I'd like to get some dives in locally, dunno if the Gulf will agree wtih my plans though.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Morrison will definately be divable this weekend. Its the Gulf that you'll have to worry about, shore and offshore conditions look like crap at the moment. I'd like to get some dives in locally, dunno if the Gulf will agree wtih my plans though.

What are the limits for beach diving? When the surf is up, does that also preclude the jetties? I'm blowing into town with the other 3 million visitors this weekend and looking for just about any place to get wet. Besides Vortex.

Limits for beach diving will be defined by your own personal comfort level. Keep in mind that all our beach dives(wrecks/rubble) that are directly off a beach(not channel) are shallow. This means the surf and seas will create surge and kick up the bottom. Depending on the size of the surf, it can be a managable dive in mediocre visibility while rocking back and forth with surge; or it can be a washing machine that requires crawling more-so than diving/swimming.

Alabama Point, Destin, St. Andrews Jetties are all within protected waters and deep enough to negate most(if not all) of the surge associated with rough surf. Just dive the tides :wink: Also, there is the sailboat off Okaloosa Island, but its shallow and small - won't keep you busy for too incredibly long, but its on the Bay and therefore protected enough to dive.

The springs are safe bets for diving when the tides are moving.

Mix some salt and freshwater diving.

SuPrBuGmAn:

I’m thinking about a backup plan, put in at Pelican point zip up the bay to Fish river find a nice shady spot while opening a cooler of Michelob and do some fishing. Or I could zip up Magnolia and mess around with the topless boaters that party up by the Bridge. That group sure is growing up to twenty or so boats now a weekend:D

Thanks for the info. I saw your post in my other thread, I think we were posting at the same time. I'm definitely up for Alabama jetties, especially Sat or Mon mornings as I could catch it on the way to or from Ft. Walton. Why Ft Walton? It's the only place from Gulf Shores to Panama I could find under $100.

I guess as a point of reference the Pcola beach dive we did was optimal conditions. I thought viz was very good and didn't notice any surge. I don't mind a bit of surge, kinda feels cool to "breathe with the sea", but with no viz it would be wierd.

Looks to me that high tides for Destin is around 8:15, and Alabama around 8:45.

So Alabama jetties, Destin jetties, and Morrison gives me three fairly reliable sites to work with. Sure you can't be coaxed to Morrison? Sally's is on me.

Find me some springs up there while you're ogling the locals eh? :)

Jumping on a plane, and heading to Curacao for the week ! Attending the dive fest there. Six days of eating, diving and relaxing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom