Post your Memorial Day Weekend Dive Plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHound:
So Alabama jetties, Destin jetties, and Morrison gives me three fairly reliable sites to work with. Sure you can't be coaxed to Morrison? Sally's is on me.

I'm likely going to be at the springs the following weekend, so not heading that way this weekend. Sticking local and wouldn't mind getting a dive in, so just call me about a day in advance if you'd like to hit the water out this way :D

SuPrBuGmAn:
I'm likely going to be at the springs the following weekend, so not heading that way this weekend. Sticking local and wouldn't mind getting a dive in, so just call me about a day in advance if you'd like to hit the water out this way :D

I'd like to do the Alabama jetties Monday morning, will give you a buzz this weekend.

philmottrek99and02:
Sunday - dive Morrison (conditions dependent) then drive to Gulf Shores for Whiskey wreck dive Last dive of the day un-planned

I'm looking to dive Morrison this weekend, Sunday sounds good. So do beach dives, depending on surf conditions.

ReefHound:
I'd like to do the Alabama jetties Monday morning, will give you a buzz this weekend.

Its looking like I'll be out at the beach that morning(early) diving or surfing anyway, so that sounds good.

I don't think I'll be diving on Sunday, lots of friends coming in from out of town so now I have a couple cookouts to attend and unload some of this fish.

ReefHound:
What are the limits for beach diving? When the surf is up, does that also preclude the jetties? .

I"ve been beach diving before on the Atlantic where they were surfing the waves were so high..... (but I prefer not to do that). But the waves there are always higher than the gulf is.

Sea Yoda and I blew off a beach dive yesterday because of wave action, but mostly because we were worried about poor vis.

The jetties aren't affected that much by waves since they are somewhat protected, but yesterday there were 5 foot waves rolling all the way up the channel and the normally calm pool along the jetty beach had small waves on it. We still dove anyway and the current wasn't too bad even though we were 5-6 hours before scheduled "high tide".

SuPrBuGmAn:
Morrison will definately be divable this weekend. Its the Gulf that you'll have to worry about, shore and offshore conditions look like crap at the moment. I'd like to get some dives in locally, dunno if the Gulf will agree wtih my plans though.

ScubaTech canceled their trip yesterday due to 2-4 foot seas... *(but they cancel a lot of the wind is blowing).

The surf is up though. They've got red flags up, but like I said the waves here are not as high as the Atlantic in North Carolina where waves like today are normal green flag days. I got out and boogie-boarded yesterday and it and the rip current wasn't bad at all. I did see the beach patrol chasing some people out of the water though..... but mostly people on floats or which young kids.

mike_s:
I"ve been beach diving before on the Atlantic where they were surfing the waves were so high..... (but I prefer not to do that). But the waves there are always higher than the gulf is.

Sea Yoda and I blew off a beach dive yesterday because of wave action, but mostly because we were worried about poor vis.

The surf itself does not bother me, I'm willing to take a beating for a good dive. The surge doesn't really bother, like I said it can be kinda fun. But the poor viz has convinced me to stick with the jetties and springs if the winds and waves are up.

From the forecasts I've seen it looks like the gulf will settle down some, offshore forecast goes from 2-4 Friday to 1-3 Saturday. Maybe Sunday will be reasonable. Coming from a place where our shore is zero viz and our lakes are 5-10' viz on a good day, what you guys call poor might be seem decent to me.

mike_s:

The surf is up though. They've got red flags up, but like I said the waves here are not as high as the Atlantic in North Carolina where waves like today are normal green flag days. I got out and boogie-boarded yesterday and it and the rip current wasn't bad at all. I did see the beach patrol chasing some people out of the water though..... but mostly people on floats or which young kids.

You didn't dive with bigger waves in shallow sites like we have... Its a different ball game. When the bottom drops off quicker, its nowhere near the same deal.

SuPrBuGmAn:
You didn't dive with bigger waves in shallow sites like we have... Its a different ball game. When the bottom drops off quicker, its nowhere near the same deal.

That is true.... the sites I was talking about with big waves you could get to 20' deep pretty quickly after going out.

I will say that it wasn't easy though. We got the crap beat out of us and pounded pretty hard.

Imagine doing that when you have to swim about 300 yards off the beach before hitting around 20' of water :wink:

SuPrBuGmAn:
Imagine doing that when you have to swim about 300 yards off the beach before hitting around 20' of water :wink:

You just need a set of these!

1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom