Post dive trip - cannot stand not living near beautiful water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimbody

Caribbean Connoisseur
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good day folks in Florida,

The wife and I just returned from a great trip down to GCM. Every time we return we are super sad, depressed in fact, pining for a life near bluer water. The son is near graduating high school and we are ready to move to an area of the country where the diving is better than the dirty swamp we live near.

We together bring in 250k in our outside sales jobs and live in a large metroplex that is decent for traveling in and out of but we'd love to be able to drive to a shop, rent a tank and go for a dive every weekend when the urge presented itself. I'm pretty qualified in what I do with regards to business development and I figured no better way to network than through SB. If anyone here has any connections they could lead me to with regards to a professional gig that will work for the two of us, maybe you are searching for someone like myself,maybe you have some suggestions. Is this a midlife crisis, maybe, but we both know that life is better than storing nuts you may never get to use. Tampa, StP, Destin, PCola, FtLaud, Miami, the Keys. It would all work for us.

Thanks,

Swim

Wife and I just relocated form NY to St. Lucie West (Port St. Lucie) last October. Best decision we've ever made. 45 minutes to dive boat in Jupiter, 55 to West Palm, 2/5 hours to Key Largo and 4 hours to Key West. We've gone from 30 dives to almost 60 in a few months.

We watch the FB reports and when the viz and weather look good, we there.

Homes and shopping are newer, and much cheaper then we were used to in NY. The best diving in FL is the Southeast & The Keys.
As you move further north from Miami and Fort Lauderdale you find housing prices drop dramatically.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have on the move or local area. We are also Realtors and can help you locate a rental or home to purchase as well.

Find a job and move!!

I chose Hypoluxo, just north of Boynton Beach. 3 miles to Boynton, 15 to West Palm, 30 to Jupiter, wish I was there now :)

Wife and I just relocated form NY to St. Lucie West (Port St. Lucie) last October. Best decision we've ever made. 45 minutes to dive boat in Jupiter, 55 to West Palm, 2/5 hours to Key Largo and 4 hours to Key West. We've gone from 30 dives to almost 60 in a few months.

We watch the FB reports and when the viz and weather look good, we there.

Homes and shopping are newer, and much cheaper then we were used to in NY. The best diving in FL is the Southeast & The Keys.
As you move further north from Miami and Fort Lauderdale you find housing prices drop dramatically.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have on the move or local area. We are also Realtors and can help you locate a rental or home to purchase as well.

Find a job and move!!

I need a job, more than qualified to run an entire sales team. Send me any leads via PM for any headhunters in the area that are worth a flip. :) Been selling in the oil industry for 5 years at a very high level. We watch beachfront house hunters as well as the addictive House Hunters International.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I'd recommend buying a small vacation property after you find your sweet spot where you want to live. Something small. Then look for a job. Trick is to present yourself as having a condo and car already there where the job is (well, you can drive here in your car too). The employees will be more attentive to your candidacy once they can see that you can start "next week" vs someone from a gallaxy far-far away... That you have living arrangements and etc already squared away vs others. You'll be almost like a local. Then you start your job, little by little move you stuff here to, say a storage facility. Have your house sold over there. Buy something here in addition to a condo for all family to fit.

This is what I did.

The huge problem is getting a job when you don't have anything where you can start living at once. Employers don't take you seriously, even those that do wish you were more "concrete" in your abilities to move. Plus, some afraid you might ask for a moving bonus. Jobs are scarce here that don't relate to hospitality industry. Thus, just have to paint the most attractive picture of yourself.

When I was getting a job in Fort Lauderdale while living in Houston, I told them, I can start next monday. I had my car over there, I had my clothes over there. All I needed is to get a Florida driver's license, that takes like 2 hours.

Overall the move was hard. Many things had to throw out, give away. Maybe have not gotten the top dollar for my house (still beats leaving Houston ahead of that flood in 2017).

But, there are so many positives all of the sudden. It was totally worth it. Now I can dress up and walk to the water for a shore dive from one property or 5 mins drive from another (the original one).

YXdYOGG.jpg

Last edited:
I'd recommend buying a small vacation property after you find your sweet spot where you want to live. Something small. Then look for a job. Trick is to present yourself as having a condo and car already there where the job is (well, you can drive here in your car too). The employees will be more attentive to your candidacy once they can see that you can start "next week" vs someone from a gallaxy far-far away... That you have living arrangements and etc already squared away vs others. You'll be almost like a local. Then you start your job, little by little move you stuff here to, say a storage facility. Have your house sold over there. Buy something here in addition to a condo for all family to fit.

This is what I did.

The huge problem is getting a job when you don't have anything where you can start living at once. Employers don't take you seriously, even those that do wish you were more "concrete" in your abilities to move. Plus, some afraid you might ask for a moving bonus. Jobs are scarce here that don't relate to hospitality industry. Thus, just have to paint the most attractive picture of yourself.

When I was getting a job in Fort Lauderdale while living in Houston, I told them, I can start next monday. I had my car over there, I had my clothes over there. All I needed is to get a Florida driver's license, that takes like 2 hours.

Overall the move was hard. Many things had to throw out, give away. Maybe have not gotten the top dollar for my house (still beats leaving Houston ahead of that flood in 2017).

But, there are so many positives all of the sudden. It was totally worth it. Now I can dress up and walk to the water for a shore dive from one property or 5 mins drive from another (the original one).

View attachment 463494

All very valid points. I went to high school up in Pompano. I went to the beach every moment I could as a kid then. Would be there everyday if I returned. Sigh

I escaped from Houston to Key West in 2009, but I learned how to do it from 1999 onwards.... Brought my Houston dive boat with me....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom