Possible to convert Oceanic Zeo to recreational long hose configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
B

bubblealgae

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to convert Oceanic FDX + Zeo setup to a GUI-type modified long hose/primary donation setup? My two sons are both on these setups and I like the tidiness of it. I was thinking a 40 inch primary and a 22 inch backup on a necklace, sort of like these:

Streamlined OW

I ordered appropriate hoses and a 110 degree swivel, but the Zeo inline ball swivel seemed impossible to replace with a standard screw-together swivel. Rather than break anything trying to force things to fit, I thought I'd ask around. Thanks and sorry if this is a dumb question.

You will probably need a different more standardized second stage. Any good manufacturer brand will work. Just be sure you have a technician adjust your IP.

image000000.JPG
image000000 2.JPG
image000000 3.JPG
image000000 4.JPG

Looking at the photos, my guess is that 2nd stage is not compatible with standard LP regulator hoses and swivel-adapters.

Disclaimer: The following shouldn't be risky, but is "at your own risk." It appears you can remove the part which attaches to the second stage using a crescent-wrench & holding the 2nd stage with your other hand. I see a flat spot on the area outside the ball-joint. Obviously don't force it, if it doesn't want to move easily. From there, you might see if underneath, it has standard threading.

That said, my gut feeling is (if you have the budget and interest) to buy another 2nd-stage. Oceanic regulators seems to absolutely flood places like craigslist. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Oceanic, but rather I think they're frequently sold to new-divers, and eventually people either don't dive anymore or decided to upgrade.

As DogDiver mentioned, just about any 2nd stage should be compatible, assuming the 1st stage uses standard threading for LP ports. If you go this route, you'll likely need to adjust the 2nd stage. You can have a dive-shop do it, which should hopefully be really cheap (more than $10 is a rip-off), or it's pretty easy to do yourself, and a good skill to have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom