Possible to convert Oceanic Zeo to recreational long hose configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
B

bubblealgae

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to convert Oceanic FDX + Zeo setup to a GUI-type modified long hose/primary donation setup? My two sons are both on these setups and I like the tidiness of it. I was thinking a 40 inch primary and a 22 inch backup on a necklace, sort of like these:

Streamlined OW

I ordered appropriate hoses and a 110 degree swivel, but the Zeo inline ball swivel seemed impossible to replace with a standard screw-together swivel. Rather than break anything trying to force things to fit, I thought I'd ask around. Thanks and sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thank you for your reply and insight. Are you particularly tall? Do you have any insight as to the difficulty swapping the Oceanic regulator ball swivel with an off-the-shelf 110 degree angled adapter? I added the 110s to my sons' Edge reg setup very easily.

Are you particularly tall?
No, average height but with a manly prosperous size belly :)

Do you have any insight as to the difficulty swapping the Oceanic regulator ball swivel with an off-the-shelf 110 degree angled adapter?

No, I don't have first hand experience with this regulator at all. Perhaps if you take a picture of the ball swivel and show it here (I don't think that it should be a problem to replace it with the 110 deg adapter however).

I have no problem with the primary, so long as there is a 90 or 110 swivel on it. I am short, 165 cm. Be sure and put a boltsnap on it so it can be clipped off when not in use, otherwise it drags on the ground.

1656150433470.png

I ordered appropriate hoses and a 110 degree swivel, but the Zeo inline ball swivel seemed impossible to replace with a standard screw-together swivel. Rather than break anything trying to force things to fit, I thought I'd ask around. Thanks and sorry if this is a dumb question.

I have no experience with this specific regulator. I'd be a little surprised if you couldn't remove the swivel, you probably just need to find the right point to place the wrench. Those swivel-ball-joints can be a little confusing at times, and even I've had a "how the fk do I remove this thing" moment to a swivel-joint I installed myself.

One option might be to look around for a service-manual for that regulator, or instructions for DIY servicing of that 2nd stage.

It's also possible the service-tech over-tightened that ball-joint. The "correct" tightness of most LP hoses is hand-tight, then with a tool, a medium-light force just enough to make it not easy come apart by hand. Too loose and the hose can come undone underwater, which is a scary experience! (yeah.... happened to me once) Too tight and you can damage the regulator, hose, or swivel.

The swivel is likely removable but they may not have parts available to switch to a standard hose, I just dont know.

40” under arm should work just fine for most people, if you can’t switch that swivel hose out just shop around for a good generic second stage like a HOG or Deep 6.

The swivel is likely removable but they may not have parts available to switch to a standard hose, I just dont know.

40” under arm should work just fine for most people, if you can’t switch that swivel hose out just shop around for a good generic second stage like a HOG or Deep 6.

I have a suspicion that the ball joint swivel maybe permanently attached to the hose and may need a jam nut for the second stage just like Atomic regulators do but I don't know for certain until I see pictures of the second stage and the hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom