Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm seeing it posted outside of SB and FB now. Assume it's official. Hopefully some of the dive ops will chime in. Here's a link (might be behind a partial paywall)

Bleaching triggers closure of access to Cozumel reefs
This article appears to be mainly citing Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease, the most recent of the reef threats, rather than bleaching. The reefs are under threat from bleaching, algal overgrowth, caused by excess nutrients from sewage, agricultural, and industrial run off and coastal development along with loss of herbivores, as well as SCTLD.

Anybody that flies to Cozumel to get on a fossil fuel chugging boat to dive and demands the world stop using fossil fuels is a hypocrite.

Exactly. It's annoying to see some divers pretending to be part of the solution and criticizing other divers for being part of the problem because we ALL are part of the problem. Including myself. I like to dive and see pretty fishes and corals and I'm willing to cause a bit of harm to the planet to do so. Everyone here is. If you're really concerned, stay home and read a book for your vacation. But even then you'll probably be a net contributor to the problem.

Anybody that flies to Cozumel to get on a fossil fuel chugging boat to dive and demands the world stop using fossil fuels is a hypocrite.
Yeah, but no one here suggested such. Ron Lee made that up as a deflection because his lies were failing.

This article appears to be mainly citing Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease, the most recent of the reef threats, rather than bleaching. The reefs are under threat from bleaching, algal overgrowth, caused by excess nutrients from sewage, agricultural, and industrial run off and coastal development along with loss of herbivores, as well as SCTLD.

I'm referring to the closure announcement.

Regardless of how many species vanish? Just don't care huh

If I remember right 99.9% of all species that have lived on this blue ball have vanish. Do I care? I do not think it matters one way of another.
As long as one species thinks it can keep having babies and this blue ball will be OK, if we use the right sunscreen and paper straws. We are living in never never land. The blue ball will take care of us.

I do not think cozumel can do anything to save the reefs, With the current flow that they have, that has clean the reefs for years is now the cause of carrying all the pollution to the reefs, from all over Mexico and beyond.

Well the cops and military ended up being called to the meeting so it’s going well. Heard of one fist fight at least. I don’t think they like it...

Yeah, but no one here suggested such. Ron Lee made that up as a deflection because his lies were failing.

Dandy, go read my post again. #148. Here is the relevant part:

"Don, when you quit driving a gasoline vehicle, stop flying on airplanes, using products derived from fossil fuels, use natural gas or propane, electricity produced from fossil fuels, etc. you may be immune of calls of being a hypocrite."

That states that if you effectively stop using anything derived from fossil fuels then you can't be balled a hypocrite. Not that you are one. Maybe you are. Maybe not.

My lies? I have been around long enough to see fake science and "the world is ending" laments for decades. The climate change hoax is just the current iteration of that lie. I know. Many others do.

PS, if people believe in man-made climate change then do all the things I suggested above and.....wait for it...stop having kids. Live your carbon free life but stop trying to impact me.

This "climate change" mantra as justification for closing reefs is asinine, without basis and just plain stupid.

Any update on the meeting?

Which dive site is going to be the Northern boundary of the new restriction zone - Palancar Gardens? Dalila?

Well the cops and military ended up being called to the meeting so it’s going well. Heard of one fist fight at least. I don’t think they like it...

If they would put these meeting on pay-per-view we might be able to afford park rangers.

Military? So who was in the fist fight? Any discussion and chance of compromise, or just clarifying announcements of restrictions?

Didn't the Caste War of Yucatán start this way?

Back
Top Bottom