Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DD, you definitely have a pair! :wink:
What? I grew up farming in Texas heat. I've also tended cattle in blizzards but dressed well for those days.

If you've never toured Utah's Big Five, it's worth a trip from anywhere: Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef and Zion. I flew into Saint George, landing at 103F I think it was, stocked up on sodas and a gallon of emergency water and headed to Cedar Breaks NM. The views from parking lots are breathtaking but I wouldn't hike any of it. Almost all of the southern state is scenic driving so I didn't mind all of the miles. Stop at Arches after Canyonlands but before the office closes to get a map, then leave Moab before sunup to beat the crowds. Don't miss Goblin Valley State Park either! The night before I left Bryce for Zion a strong storm caused landslides in Zion closing it the next day. I was going to use the east entrance and see sights on that road but had to detour down into Arizona a ways, visiting some unscheduled parks down there. Some of those scenic roads are so breathtaking that strong road discipline is important, like the one switching back & forth along the top of a high ridge with steep drops on either side. Zion started opening parts my last full day and I got to tour it some even tho I am too old & lame for strenuous hiking. It's certainly the most crowded being so close to Saint George and not far from Las Vegas.

The last morning I still had my sealed gallon jug of emergency water and gave it to some Germans in the parking lot, then visited a lovely city park before catching my plane. The hardest part of the trip were the two long layovers in Denver's airport.

upload_2020-2-28_21-8-29.png

Grand Escalante is worth a couple of days.
The road from Canyonlands into Grand Escalante (Hwy 12), will separate the men from he boys too - or more accurately, the sane men from the crazy ones.

Grand Escalante is worth a couple of days.
The road from Canyonlands into Grand Escalante (Hwy 12), will separate the men from he boys too - or more accurately, the sane men from the crazy ones.
Since we are already over 800 posts on this thread, yeah I actually took the 12 shortcut from Captiol Reef to Bryce, and that was a wild ride. I was not expecting that zigzag down along the top of that ridge, but it had my full attention. I would have liked to stop for photos,, but there was no room for a pullout along there. I hate that much of Grand Escalante NM is being opened up to the savages of mining.

upload_2020-2-28_23-48-40.png

Last April while I was there the corals were spawning....

I was literally just about to book a trip in August so now that's out. I'm afraid to book a trip because they keep closing the southern reefs.
The southern reefs have been closed one time for a couple of months.

The southern reefs have been closed one time for a couple of months.

But they are now talking about a closure in August and there are whispers of a closure in April.

Back
Top Bottom