Possible Essentials class in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all

OK, so ive been thinking about taking an Essentials class with Delia in Monterey and its something id like to do in the early part of this year. However, the January class is a little early. After emailing Delia, it is possible that we could do a class in late March, if there was enough interest. I was thinking the weekend of the 29/30th. Anyone in? I think itll be a pretty good way of getting some new DIR curious folks together.

cheers

Essentials is like an "intro to Fundies" class. You're required a long hose/bungied backup and non-split fins, but can take the class in a traditional BC (rather than the Fundies requirement of a BP/W). The class works on buoyancy and trim, introduces the frog and other non-silting kicks, and teaches the procedure for air-sharing with a long hose configuration. It's a workshop, rather than a pass-fail class. The classroom part goes over ascent procedures, gas management, and team diving.

It's a really nice class as an introduction to the skills, or as a stand-alone for people who don't intend to convert their gear to a DIR configuration.

It sounds like something that would be very useful but it also sounds like I'm already way off base on most accounts. I don't have a long hose and I'm currently using a pair of split fins(which I love). I've been wanting to trade my traditional jacket style BC in for a back inflation model but I'm not sure yet if I'm interested in going the route of a back plate. It sounds like I need to figure out all of the above before entertaining the idea of an essentials class.

Thanks for the info though.

Perhaps this as good a place as any to ask the question. Does anyone have a description of the equipment you would purchase in order to a configure a "long hose"?

...I've been wanting to trade my traditional jacket style BC in for a back inflation model but I'm not sure yet if I'm interested in going the route of a back plate.
Thanks for the info though.

I'm in Monterey most weekends and usually carry a spare backplate and wing in my truck. If you would like to try one out, you're welcome to use it for a day (or two-depending if I spend the night down there).

Perhaps this as good a place as any to ask the question. Does anyone have a description of the equipment you would purchase in order to a configure a "long hose"?

That depends on your starting point. Assuming you have traditional octopus setup,
all you need is the long hose and a bit of thin bungie. You discard the octopus hose,
move the short hose to the octopus second stage, and put the long hose on your usual
second stage. The former octopus second stage gets bungied under your neck.

See if you can borrow the long hose to get the length sorted out. 5, 6, and 7 feet
are typical.

Having had to donate air twice, once with the traditional system and once with the
long hose, the long hose is infinitely better. And if you loose your primary, say in the
surf, you know RIGHT where your back up is.

Configuring a long hose only requires the following:
  1. Primary regulator on a 7' or 5' LP hose. 7' is most commonly recommended, with 5' being single tank OW only usage.
  2. Secondary regulator on a 22" LP hose. This length may be different for you, depending a exact regulator and body size.
  3. Pressure gauge on a 24" HP hose. This length may also be different for you, depending on regulator and body size.
  4. Secondary regulator is bungeed around the neck. Some people prefer zip tieing, others prefer using double fisherman knots, others prefer a pre-made necklace.

Good stuff, and thanks for the link to the course outline. Beat me to it!

Im basically looking at getting some really high quality instruction without the stress of the pass/fail you have in Fundies. I already dive the BP/W with the long hose etc, but havent gone completely DIR (although im positive thats where ill go with my diving). Its also a chance to get together with some like-minded people who are at the same level and on the same page. My regular buddies are confirmed haters and its getting to be a drag listening to the bs. Anyways.

cheers

I've been wanting to trade my traditional jacket style BC in for a back inflation model but I'm not sure yet if I'm interested in going the route of a back plate.

I would recommend that you try both out for a couple dives before making a decision if possible. I bought a new back inflate BC (Ranger LTD) before trying a bp/w, dove it 12 dives before I tried a bp/w set-up, bought a used bp/w and never looked back. The ranger wasn't a bad bc, but I could have saved a lot of money had I tried hte bp/w first. There are probably a number of divers in the area who would likely let you try out a bp/w before you make a decision.

Back
Top Bottom