Possible Essentials class in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, who's interested, depending on the dates of the class?

Dsafanda, Randolphscott, Wdunne311 and JT851?

Im good for 29/30th March, could do 15th/16th (ill assume no for 21/22 as its easter weekend) but maybe could do a weekend in May (just not the first one, as ill have to make some time up at work...). From what i gather so far, 15/16th could be the best bet, correct? Once i have a couple of names, ill email Delia and see what her availability is.

Cheers Guys!

My friend and I are the two signed up for tomorrow's class. I've heard no end to the good things about it, and I'm really excited to see what I can learn. I'll try post up a report after the open water session over MLK weekend.

Hi

That would be fantastic. Just curious, but how 'DIR compliant' is your current set-up? Ive been debating about getting a few things (like a brass n glass spg and a different reg as the hose routing on my current one sucks) but on top of the cost of the class, and my trip home in April im not sure i can swing the cost before class. I already use a bp/w, 5' long hose and the bungee backup, and i have a PT torrent xenon backup alongside my can light (50w halogen). So i have a *few* of the bits required, but am by no means anywhere near as id like to be. Just wondering if what i have is going to be ok for the class.

Cheers for any info, and good luck with the class. Im sure itll be a blast!

np, that'll be fine. My husband took the class in a SeaQuest Balance with a Cobra on a console! I believe the only requirements are that you have to have some type of long hose/bungied backup arrangement, and non-split fins. This is one of the reasons Essentials is a great class. It gives somebody an opportunity to see what the DIR/NTEC system is about, without having to make the financial step to fully compliant equipment immediately.

Hi

That would be fantastic. Just curious, but how 'DIR compliant' is your current set-up?

Sounds like you're more sorted out than I'll be. I'll be in in bp/w, single tank, 5-ft long hose with way-too-long bungied octo and non-glass SPG (seriously who really cares about what the SPG is made out of for rec dives?). I'll be borrowing a well-sorted, fully-DIR long-hose regulator setup for the Monterey dives, and I've, ahem, purchased a new brass 'n glass SPG as well. So I guess I do care. Other than that, just jets with springs and my 3-window high-volume purge mask I bought during OW class. No lights for me, backup or can.

The guy taking the class with me will be fully decked out - doubles, can light, the works. So what we lack in consistency we'll make up in confusion!

Great stuff. Looks like all i really have to do then is get some buddies and a date sorted out!!

WOOHOOOO....

Most of my stuff is here... My Brass N Glass SPG.... my Long hose is on order.... and I guess i need to find some fins...DUBs are being vized... My drysuit zipper is almost replaced.... I Cant wait to get wet...

As for having a "DIR COMPLIANT" set up... What do they say about having a 2 piece webbing system with the adjustable shoulder straps and apex weight pockets??? Those are 2 things I would not be to willing to give up...

Any weekend should be good for me.... Just let me know.... I may have 1 more guy diving a single tank who might wanna take the class...

I might be out for the class. My assignment here has undergone some changes recently and I may be out of the area in mid March. I might have to catch you guys the next time I'm in Monterey.

As for having a "DIR COMPLIANT" set up... What do they say about having a 2 piece webbing system with the adjustable shoulder straps and apex weight pockets??? Those are 2 things I would not be to willing to give up...

Well, there's no question that non-hog-harness webbing is NOT DIR, but for the purposes of Essentials, I don't think anybody will care. :)

Those are absolutely acceptable for class. My friend took Essentials with us in a TransPac II and had weight pockets as well. She ultimately found that the D-ring placement sub-optimal, but she still dives the rig to this day.

Back
Top Bottom