Portable CO monitor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer to read before leaving the dock, gives a chance to do something about bad tanks, and less likely to have an accident like when I dropped my analyzer in the ocean while on a moving boat.

Depending on the unit tho, you blow tank air thru it, or bag it, so air is not much of a concern.

I'd like to do it on the dock too, but on Grand Cayman when I was there, the tanks were already aboard the boat, and you just chose one after the boat left the dock.

That brings up another question. Shore dives - I could sure test the tank on shore before I get into the water, but what's to keep the EII CO from growing legs and walking off after I get in the water? Another conundrum.

I think your point about the way the EII CO samples from the tank is a good one. Hopefully, that low pressure stream from the tank valve would tend to keep outside air from contaminating the reading....hopefully.

Hi Critical Mass and Dandy Don,

We've addressed this very issue in a soon to be released manual update: Bottom line is it's easiest to check tanks at the dock

Glad you all are working on this issue. Very good info. But one part is confusing to me -

3. Calibrate the EII CO using the zero calibration kit (see section 3.3) Essentially flush the unit with a KNOWN zero gas (even a pony tank tested and known safe prior to your trip.) Use this to ensure the sensor is exposed to no CO if you have to perform a zero cal on the boat.

What is a "zero calibration kit"? Is that going to be a new accessory item to be offered? I already have a can of 50ppm bump gas, and plan to order the 10ppm bump gas and calibration kit when they're available.

But is the "zero calibration kit" something that will be carried on dives, different from the span calibration kit, which, I assumed, would be for doing the recommended 6-month span calibrations in a controlled setting?

Hi Critical Mass,

Its simply going to be a can of "zero air" (air certified to be free of CO) for use to zero the EIICO if you find yourself in a place where the ambient air is continuously contaminated with CO. Again, if you zero the EIICO while in clean air (prior to getting on a dive boat) you wont need a zero kit.

I'd like to do it on the dock too, but on Grand Cayman when I was there, the tanks were already aboard the boat, and you just chose one after the boat left the dock.

That brings up another question. Shore dives - I could sure test the tank on shore before I get into the water, but what's to keep the EII CO from growing legs and walking off after I get in the water? Another conundrum.

I think your point about the way the EII CO samples from the tank is a good one. Hopefully, that low pressure stream from the tank valve would tend to keep outside air from contaminating the reading....hopefully.
Yeah for tanks on the boat, take some sort of sticker or tape so you can test tanks then put your name on them. I get so many return address stickers from charities wanting me to send money every year. DAN even sent me some. Or yellow electric tape, which is also usual otherwise in a safe a dive kit, or masking tape - write your name on it. For shore dives, test the tanks when you pick them up, put your name on your tanks, then leave the analyzer someplace safe. If you dive Nitrox, you do the same with it and the analyze.

OKAAAAY, I finally got to town, for my new Analox portable analyzer, played with it some, talked with Patti on the phone twice I think to clarify some things - such a nice lady :wink: , and I've corrected some of my thinking I think.

I had thot one might use the 10 ppm bump gas to test their analyzer for accuracy, but nah! Maybe Surpan does with his 17 liter tank, but that's not the reason Analox offers it for sale. It's just to confirm that the analyzer is still working; the accuracy comes from proper calibrations.

SO YOU DON'T NEED BUMP GAS, IMO! If you want it, fine, Analox will supply it or you can order 10L or 17L tanks where Suprane got his, but it's really optional. Just blow on it, or if you want bigger results, get a smoker to blow on it - no he does not need to be smoking at the time as his exhale will stay tainted for a long time.
The breath concentration in a non-smoking individual in CO-free ambient air can be as high as 4 ppm. I know mine runs consistently at 2 ppm and my secretary who smokes runs at 9 to 10 ppm.

To use the EIICO for breath CO analysis take a deep breath and gently blow into the larger hole on the "side" of the sensor dome rather than the pin hole where one flows the compressed air into. It is quite interesting how stable one's breath CO concentration is as long as not sick (i.e. a cold) or walking around in a room full of smokers.

Our body produces and releases carbon monoxide, hydrogen sulfide, and nitric oxide all of which are gaseous neurotransmitters and can be measured in the breath.
And while calibration twice a year is nice, we're not pathologist getting ready for a trial. Once a year is probly fine, unless you ask Analox lawyers...
I think the sensor has a 6% annual drift so if you did not calibrate for a year, it might read 15 ppm as 14 or 16 - close enough to get excited.
14, 15, 16 - you don't want to dive it anyway. Since it rounds to nearest parts per million, and that is such a tiny amount numerically, you might see 4, 5, or 6 in another example. Ideally we don't want to dive that either, but - your call on accepted risks in diving.

I'm keeping my Pocket CO and Analox CO in Pelican cases so they can't be exposed to city air as I have seen some 10 ppm readings at airports and in cities myself. For that final pre-test calibration, yeah you want to be in clean ocean air or similar - maybe on the upper deck of a large boat if the wind is favorable, or whatever it takes.

Makes sense to me.

On bump gas, I think I'll use it. It's a rough sensitivity test to just make sure the device works. I like to stay inside my comfort zone, so I'll prolly make use of that option.

Hi Critical Mass,

Its simply going to be a can of "zero air" (air certified to be free of CO) for use to zero the EIICO if you find yourself in a place where the ambient air is continuously contaminated with CO. Again, if you zero the EIICO while in clean air (prior to getting on a dive boat) you wont need a zero kit.

Ah...OK. Now, I understand. So, it *IS* a different animal from the "calibration kit", right?

Thanks for the clarification.

2. Use a known clean source of air to pass a flow directly over the sensor using the push-in calibration adaptor.

Patti,

Will this push-in calibration adaptor be available as an item the end user can purchase as a stand-alone item? In highly contaminated environments I'd like the option of isolating the EIICO from that environment and taking a reading off the lp inflator hose using tubing and flow restrictor.

Clearly the trick is to zero calibrate and check the tanks whenever possible off the boat with no engines running nearby, but if not possible as often is the case it would be nice to have the option of taking a reading by isolating the unit from the potentially contaminated ambient air.

Patti,

Will this push-in calibration adaptor be available as an item the end user can purchase as a stand-alone item? In highly contaminated environments I'd like the option of isolating the EIICO from that environment and taking a reading off the lp inflator hose using tubing and flow restrictor.

If you don't already have such an adapter, they are available at Tech Dive Limited.
That is where I found mine. :D

http://www.techdivinglimited.com/

It is listed as "BC Connector For Gas Analysis" under the "Analyzer Accessories" tab.

If you don't already have such an adapter, they are available at Tech Dive Limited.
That is where I found mine. :D

TECHDIVINGLIMITED.COM

It is listed as "BC Connector For Gas Analysis" under the "Analyzer Accessories" tab.

Thanks and yes that is where I purchased mine. Great value and simple design. I also have one from divegearexpress.com but the TDL ones are cheaper and a better design.

If you don't already have such an adapter, they are available at Tech Dive Limited..........It is listed as "BC Connector For Gas Analysis" under the "Analyzer Accessories" tab.

I'm not sure I understand how I'd use one of those. The description for that thing includes "Attach to a piece of tubing and connect to the BC hose."

If you've used one, can you expand on that a little, please? One hand holds the EII CO, the other holds the tubing up to the EII CO sampling dome, and a third hand presses the BC inflator button? I think I'm missing something. :depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom