Port Aransas diving questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Marshall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm headed down to Mustang Island in mid-September and I'm considering the possibility of some rig diving. I've done a bit of research, but it doesn't look like any of the Port Aransas dive shops have quality info online (Copeland's and Frogman's are all I can find, and neither has a schedule). I just hate using the phone until absolutely necessary. I'm hoping that some of you Swampers know the answers to these questions:

Do these dive ops run regular rig dives, or is it just whenever enough people show up?
About how long does it take to do 2 rig dives (including transit time)?
I won't have a buddy with me -- is this a problem?
Any recommendations for a particular dive operator?

Thanks for your input.

Ed

Ed Marshall:
Do these dive ops run regular rig dives, or is it just whenever enough people show up?

Most likely they will require 4-6 people minimum for the trip to make. If you are by yourself they will probably look to see if they can slip you in on a day they are already going or ask around for other interested divers locally. This time of year they should have trips running.

Ed Marshall:
About how long does it take to do 2 rig dives (including transit time)?

Probably 2hrs transit. Add dive time and surface interval to that and you have a rough idea. I don't think you'll find them holding a hard schedule other than departure.

Ed Marshall:
I won't have a buddy with me -- is this a problem?

The shop will be able to answer that. If they give you the thumbs up, ask whether someone has volunteered to let you tag along or a DM is going with you. If it's a DM don't forget to give him some appreciation afterwards ($$).

Ed Marshall:
Any recommendations for a particular dive operator?

I've been out with the operator Frogman's works with and had an enjoyable 3 tank day spearfishing on three rigs. I setup a 2 tank dive through Copelands but weather interfered. Gulf trips are often cancelled by weather. In the last year I've had 4 scheduled trips and 2 successes.

My piece of advice:
You will be 30 miles to sea. Currents are common. Dive conservative, make a good safety stop, ascend slow and dive with someone who knows diving in the wide blue. You are a long way from help.

You'll also want gloves and a full length suit. It's easy to get cut on the coral there.

You can PM me if you have any more questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom