Dive Coronados Islands or surroundings (november)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fredymad

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm going to be in California in mid-November and I'm trying to fit some diving into my plan. It's my first time diving in the USA and I would like to go to the Coronados Islands (day trip).

However, I am a bit lost looking for dive centres that offer the dive.

I have seen these two options, however neither of them have scheduled dives on the days I am going to be there.

Do you know of any other centres?

If I couldn't do these dives, which one would you recommend, the joya cove, with which centre?

What is the water temperature at this time of the year and is there a chance of seeing leopard sharks at this time of the year?

Is it usual to tip at dive centres (I am European)?

any advice would be welcome

Thank you so much

Power Scuba's trips are charted on Waterhorse, so that's the -only- option for Coronados.

Our other local boat option is the Marissa (Dive Calendar Easy Online Booking | Marissa Charters Inc). Both are great operations.

For boats, yes, tip in the tip jar or Venmo for crew is definitely normal, in general $5-$10 per dive but San Diego is expensive to live in, so I wouldn't be cheap on that!

Check out both sites for trips to Yukon/Rube E/Wreck Alley, and Point Loma Kelp, Ancient Sea Cliffs, Train Wheels, etc. All pretty good and conditions typically better than diving from the beach in La Jolla, which can range from awful to great and back again in the span of a few days!

Oh leopard sharks- surprisingly hard to see while diving because they're pretty skittish. Better off snorkeling at the south end of La Jolla Shores (looks for "Marine Room" on the map, there's a walkway for public beach access) when they're out. They usually hang out very shallow too.

Power Scuba's trips are charted on Waterhorse, so that's the -only- option for Coronados.

Our other local boat option is the Marissa (Dive Calendar Easy Online Booking | Marissa Charters Inc). Both are great operations.

For boats, yes, tip in the tip jar or Venmo for crew is definitely normal, in general $5-$10 per dive but San Diego is expensive to live in, so I wouldn't be cheap on that!

Check out both sites for trips to Yukon/Rube E/Wreck Alley, and Point Loma Kelp, Ancient Sea Cliffs, Train Wheels, etc. All pretty good and conditions typically better than diving from the beach in La Jolla, which can range from awful to great and back again in the span of a few days!

Oh leopard sharks- surprisingly hard to see while diving because they're pretty skittish. Better off snorkeling at the south end of La Jolla Shores (looks for "Marine Room" on the map, there's a walkway for public beach access) when they're out. They usually hang out very shallow too.
Thank you so much for the detailed information.
Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to dive the Coronados Islands (no availability). :(
What do you mean by the conditions of La Jolla? Waves, low visibility?

How far in advance should I book the dives?
What are the conditions of the wrecks like? I have +300 dives (with some cool wrecks such as Numidia, Thistlegorm, Carnatic and so on)

I will keep tips in mind!

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom