Question New-ish to UW photography, picking strobes, Backscatter HF-1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now we want a review of these places you visited with full contact information for the dive operations and accommodation you used in these places :)

In your experience, should one go for these Backscatter strobes or the Retra (newest version) assuming price isn't an issue?

Perhaps the HF-1 video lighting capabilities are OK for the casual videographer or the still photographer who takes occasional videos but they aren't top choice for the full time or professional videographer.

=> I will post some photos later, when I am so far...
Accomodation was a simple and inexpensive two-person apartment, acquired via Airbnb, a stone-throw away from the diving base. We go there by car, 5h driving in each direction. The diving base has long tradition in this region, the founder, who pioneered the exploration of diving spots there, retired this March at the age of 81 and sold it to two nice hungarians, who are running it at present. He and his wife (who is about 10 years younger) are still on the boat every second day for recreational diving, just for fun... :)

The Kornati islands are known for steep drop-offs, beautifully covered with sessile invertebrates (sponges, gorgonians, corals; seldom we could see even red precious corals). Not so much fish, as Croatians like to go out a lot for fishing. They have also few shipwrecks and a well preserved wreck of a "STUKA" (special kind of bomber) that was shot down during WWII..

=> I am not able to compare to the Retras, I never used them (Alex, who used both and is a much better expert than me in judging quality of a strobe, says the light quality of HF-1 is good, but Retra is even better (softer)). What would hold me off from the Retras (except the high price) is this "booster" addition that takes additional four AA accus (=eight AA/strobe!), stands out at the back and looks to me prone to leaks. I like the two powerful, but simple, Li+ accus of the HF-1 much more...
I only can say the HF-1 is a clear improvement compared to Z330 and YS-D2, which I was using so far (mostly in color temperature (I was really excited about this), but also in intensity (the 4500K flat diffuser eats up some light, but still plenty of light remains). After using the HF-1s few times, I never looked back and would not change back...

I must say, however, that I did not even aproximately need the capacity of the two Li+ accus, at least this time: the boat leaves in the morning for two dives and the dive time is limited to 1 hour/dive (what we did +/- 5'). After two hours of taking photos (not video!), the accus were still 70% to 80% full (for comparison, the accu of my Sony A7R5 was still 45%-55% full). This may well change when we do shallow house-reef diving that do not have a time-limit, e.g. in Egypt, usually three a day and about 2h each (there I have to exchange the accu of the A7R5 at least every two dives, sometimes after every dive)...

=> I fully agree, for occasional videos the HF-1 is good enough. I personally, could life without the additional video feature...

Wolfgang

We go there by car, 5h driving in each direction.

I am assuming that this refers to going from your home in Austria to this dive location not from the accommodation to the dive location, right? lol

The Kornati islands are known for steep drop-offs, beautifully covered with sessile invertebrates (sponges, gorgonians, corals; seldom we could see even red precious corals). Not so much fish, as Kroations like to go out a lot for fishing. They have also few shipwrecks and a well preserved wreck of a "STUKA" (special kind of bomber) that was shot down during WWII..
I am looking for good dive location around the Mediterranean that are not too far to travel to from where I am in Libya. I have heard good things about Croatia but I don't know where to go for diving there. I maybe also going to Albania for an UW photo competition in few weeks and I hope that it will turn out to be a good place to return to for diving and photography.

If you have specific recommendations on where else worth going to for diving and taking UW photo, please let me know. I know about Malta but that's like diving here in Libya. I heard about Sardinia in Italy but don't know much about the quality of diving there.

I am assuming that this refers to going from your home in Austria to this dive location not from the accommodation to the dive location, right? lol

I am looking for good dive location around the Mediterranean that are not too far to travel to from where I am in Libya. I have heard good things about Croatia but I don't know where to go for diving there. I maybe also going to Albania for an UW photo competition in few weeks and I hope that it will turn out to be a good place to return to for diving and photography.

If you have specific recommendations on where else worth going to for diving and taking UW photo, please let me know. I know about Malta but that's like diving here in Libya. I heard about Sardinia in Italy but don't know much about the quality of diving there.
Well, Kornati islands belong to the best dive sites in the Adriatic part of the mediterranean.
Other destinations, that are at least as beautiful are island of Lastovo and island of Vis (were I have been also many times).
This is one diving center in Vis/Komiza, the diving base were I used to go apparently does not exist any more:

In the northern adriatic the water is less clear, but this is very good for macros as there are a lot of different nudies (you find them everywhere in the mediterranean, just less often)...

The reason why Lisi and me are so often in the Adriatic is just that it is so close for us, just few hours of travelling by car...

Other parts of the mediterranean have clearly more fish and even better vis, but the invertebrates are not as good.
I can recommend Nero-Sport in the Ionian Sea (Zakynthos; excellent vis and good fish, but gorgonians/corals are not as good as Adria; with some luck you can even encounter a mediterranean seal):

We have been so far in Korsika, Elba and Capraia (Capraia is a secret tip for more than plenty of barracudas, jackfish and groupers, but no drop-offs and corals/gorgonias). For us this part of the mediterranean is already quite far, but it is also beautiful...

Wolfgang

Well, Kornati islands belong to the best dive sites in the Adriatic part of the mediterranean.
Other destinations, that are at least as beautiful are island of Lastovo and island of Vis (were I have been also many times).
This is one diving center in Vis/Komiza, the diving base were I used to go apparently does not exist any more:

In the northern adriatic the water is less clear, but this is very good for macros as there are a lot of different nudies (you find them everywhere in the mediterranean, just less often)...

The reason why Lisi and me are so often in the Adriatic is just that it is so close for us, just few hours of travelling by car...

Other parts of the mediterranean have clearly more fish and even better vis, but the invertebrates are not as good.
I can recommend Nero-Sport in the Ionian Sea (Zakynthos; excellent vis and good fish, but gorgonians/corals are not as good as Adria; with some luck you can even encounter a mediterranean seal):

We have been so far in Korsika, Elba and Capraia (Capraia is a secret tip for more than plenty of barracudas, jackfish and groupers, but no drop-offs and corals/gorgonias). For us this part of the mediterranean is already quite far, but it is also beautiful...

Wolfgang

Thank you VERY much!!!

This information is awesome.

I watched this video when it first came and couldn't discern if Alex really liked it or was just going through the motions and not really believing what he was saying.
@BoltSnap

Alex isn't replacing his Retras with these new strobes, so that tells you something. However there is a difference in price. If you want to save a few $ on powerful, well built strobes the HF-1 is an option.

I prefer my Retras - for power, robustness, and color.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom