Pool photo reef practice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theskull

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi,

I am looking to put together a "reef" for photo practice/instruction in the pool. Anyone have any tips on where to get or how to construct some brightly colored "coral" or "fish" that could easily be sunk in the pool and stand up to the chlorine for repeated uses?

Thank you for any input.

theskull

You should look for kids pool toys. Probably hard to find this time of year, but they would be the best (at least of everything I have found so far).

What are you wanting to spend? Some of these pieces start at about $10-12. My buddy has them in his saltwater tank - they're very realistic. Artificial Coral Reef Aquarium Decoration for Saltwater Fish Aquarium, Marine Fish Tank. Artificial Fake Coral Reef Aquarium Decor for Saltwater Fish Aquarium, Marine Fish Tank, Freshwater Fish Artificial Fake Coral Reef Aquarium Decor

I've thought of getting one of those plastic fish wall decorations, sealing it, and temporarily tying it to the pool cleaner for video practice...lol

I would think that just about anything would work. You could get some children's toys that will sink in various colors and use them. You could use some large objects like large pieces of tile, rocks etc to give the reef structure. It does not have to LOOK like a reef. Just give you different colors and things to focus on in varying light : shade, direct sun, evening.

Of course, a pool is not deep enough to give you the effect of diving at "normal" depths like 30'-100'.

But it would be a good drill and give you some idea of using your camera and how it responds. Shoot get an object on a string and have some friend move it around so you get the notion of the challenge of getting focus on a pesky fast moving small fish.

I think the aquarium props are really too small. I do like the pool toy ideas as well as the wall decorations. And I know the items don't really have to look like fish or a reef, but it would be more fun if they did.

Thanks all, and if there are more ideas, please bring them on.

theskull

I would practice by shooting people swimming in the pool. That way you get used to focusing on fast-ish animals that are unpredictable underwater while maintaining your buoyancy. Many of the shots used for shooting models will also be used to shoot fish creatively.

I made a board:

IMG_1269.jpg

And of course sometimes the lifeguards oblige with a show:

IMG_0511.jpg

N

That's excellent, Nemrod! I need one of those, too!

Did you paint the stripes? Peel & stick? More info, please. PM me if you don't want to share the secrets with everyone.

theskull

I have used plastic flowers and plants from a craft store like Michals or AC Moore. They usually have some plastic toys or items that will work, just forget "marine" and think color and texture. If possible find a piece of white coral or similar item. The piece of coral I have is the hardest thing to get the exposure correct on, making it the best item to practice on. A word of caution, while the foam noodle pool toys look great as sponge, those things have a HUGE positive buoyancy, took me darn near 40 lbs of lead to sink my last reef (not this one).
P2200038.jpg

P2200022.jpg

And another one, this is the one that the purple tubes took so much weight to sink.
normal_P5050937.jpg

These plastic squishy toys make great anemones.

normal_P5050933.jpg

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! That's what I needed, Herman! And Nemrod's, too, for the more technically inclined photogs. Now I'm off to the store to make this happen.

theskull

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom